Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Eczema

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I have been plagued on and off with eczema since babyhood, and am in the grip of another outbreak.

It mainly affects my hands - the palms of which experience anything, and everything from intense itching, little blisters, cracking chaps, dry flakey patches to red, raw painful patches which make it difficult to MOVE my hands. Given that this last 'attack' has lasted 3 weeks, I have felt quite depressed through it on occasion.

Not only does it look quite unattractive (to say the least!), it makes me feel pretty wretched too!

I have made an appointment with my GP for this Wednesday. I have been seen by a dermatologist, who simply prescribed the strongest steroid ointment available (dermovate) - which works (!) - but I was wondering if anyone out there has any advice/ideas/alternative 'cures' for this hideous condition?!

JarBax

Cavy Slave
P.S. Will try anything once!!!

CBrewton5

Cavy Slave
My only advice would be to find a person near you or that you can order from over the net that makes good ole fashioned lye soap. That's what works for me with my problem skin. As far as over the counter moisturizers a friend of mine gave me some Cetaphil and it works good for me to keep the flaky stuff away. Cetaphil also makes a cleanser if you can't find a soap maker anywhere near you too.

Ruftybear

Cavy Slave
I know a lot of people who have found goatsmilk soap to be really good with their ezcema. You can get it on eBay, and also many chemists may have it (well they do in Australia anyway).

If you can't find it or have any problems, I can get hold of some and send it to you if you like.

Take care

Victoria

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
My sister has eczema and she uses Celestone. I'll check the name of it again when I can find her.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I get Eczema on my arms and stomach in the winter. I find the extremely thick creams work the best. I use Eucerine Cream, you can literally feel it soaking in. Soaps like Dove only make it worse, Cetaphil is the best in my opinion.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
I have been suffering quite badly with some eczema on my hands as well. the little blisters and the dry cracking I can completely relate to. I agree the thick creams are great for the dryness. I have one that's called Dermal Therapy finger care cream. But for the intense itchiness, the only thing I've found that works (and it helps with the dryness too) is Zim's crack creme. But the original, in the spray bottle, not the 'day lotion' or whatever they call it. Be warned your hands may feel greasy for quite a while. A little spritz'll do ya.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I read it's sometimes caused because of something your allergic for, try leaving out a certain food like milk or bread or things like that. It might cause the eczema.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
At near-18 I still have eczema on my scalp. In babies it's cradle-cap so I don't know what it is in adults, if anything other than eczema. I think the eczema type I have - which causes cradle-cap and the cracking behind the ears - is sebaceous? (Stabbing ion the dark a bit with that; I have read it and think I remember right.) I've had the eczema behind my ears for years so it was interesting to find that cradle-cap is the same type of eczema.

I've tried various creams for my ears but the one thing which keeps them clear is washing behind them with nothing but water. I think an emollient cream I had a couple of years ago was one of the better ones - don't ask me to name products as I can't remember what they're called! For my scalp, Head & Shoulders every day seems to help the most.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Thankyou everyone! Loads of good ideas and suggestions!

I should maybe have been more precise in my initial post...I am happy that the Lush soap I use already doesn't irritate my skin (and - like you Laura), when I can't even tolerate soap, I just use water. I don't drink cows milk, only soya - though I do eat cheese. As the eczema isn't constant (though it can feel like it!) - I don't think the cheese is an issue. Haven't tried cutting out bread, though am not eating as much as I once did - making cous cous for lunch - as my salad sandwiches were taking too long to make!

I try to use non-animal products, but thanks for your kind offer Ruftybear! I agree too with fourwbabbys and Fairysari about the thick stuff - I have huge tubs of emolient which I have now emptied! My hands are usually covered in a thick or oily layer of something during an outbreak! (camomile ointment as I type!)

I'm probably looking for an impossible answer (like someone telling me if I got my son to do all the washing up - my eczema would disappear!) The soap I use, and the creams and ointments I dollop on don't make it any worse -but I would dearly love something (other than the super-strength steroid cream I'm going to the doctor for on Wednesday) which would actually make it better! I have a creeping suspicion that not only is it a topical sensitivity thing, but an emotionally reactive thing too. Does anyone know more about this? I know this latest outbreak started with the introductions of Mellow and Emm to Mary and Marble - which I found extremely stressful. But that was over three weeks ago, and they are getting on fine now! (I did have a few awful contemplations that it could be an allergy to the new pigs - but I've hardly handled them since their arrival (mostly due to my painful hands!)

Any/all ideas gratefully received!

fairysari

Cavy Slave
I have found stress brings it out too. Then it just keeps going ang going...

Try googling "pompholyx". It's the medical term for it on the hands, and there's lots of sites with suggestions.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
I don't have Excema, but my mother did/does. I have a metal allergy which gives me the same reaction you get at some times. I used a topical steroid cream called Novo-Clobetasol, also in the forum of Gen, and the likes, the begginging prefix is just brand name. If I remember it is 0.05% cortisol steriod, and is super thick, and feels soo good when you slather it on. In addition to this, I used Body Butter from The Body Shop. I am unsure if they have that chain store in your area but it is really good for dry skin, a little oily, but great none the less. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Also changes in weather set if off on my brother and sister.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I think you're right Taco, the change in the weather, and work and home having heating on won't help either.

We do have a Body Shop - I use a lot of their hemp stuff - not tried the body butter, will get some next time I'm there - thanks!

Pompholyx! I've never heard of that before, and will google it. It sounds like a great alternative to swearing! "Oh pompholyx!"

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Jane you may need to invest in a humidifier. I can't live without mine in the winter.

You are right in your assumption that stress plays a facotr in it as well. It is like you said, something you have to manage. Go take a dropperful for me!!

JarBax

Cavy Slave
That's something to consider Judy - though the house being quite old, is pretty damp anyway - condensation on windows/leaking chimney etc!

Well, it's migrating from the palms of my hands to the backs - think my hands aren't liking the gloves I've been wearing at night to help the cream absorb better (and not end up all over the sheets!) Also, it is erupting on my face. This is the worst! I can just about cope with it on my hands - but I can't bear it when it attacks my face!

One girl at school said to me today "Miss - you try to look young - but you're actually really old"!! I know this is because around my eyes get (even) wrinkly(er) with the eczema. Lots of sympathy please! :sad: (sticks out bottom lip in attempt to look younger!

Off to take a dropperful!

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Just an update, having been to the doctor this morning. Basically have come home with steroid creams and ointments in various strengths, plus emulsyfying ointment (really thick oily waxy stuff) and aqueous cream (less thick and oily).

Talking to the doc., he agreed that the cold air outside, nd the dry heat inside at this time of year could well be a trigger, along with the stress! He told me that eczema is basically a dry skin condition, and affects people with a certain kind of skin (nothing new there), but he strongly advised against using soap of any kind (I tried defending my lovely gentle Lush bars!)as it simply strips the skin of oils, and is unneccesary. I have to use the aqueous cream - or any other moisturiser instead.

This is not entirely news either - but have always given up at this stage. A relaxing bath with aqueous cream, just doesnt resonate to the same pampering tones as a luxurious bath with some Lush smelly delights! However, will persevere, and perhaps save my bubblies for treats when my skin is better!

Thanks so much for your support - I really appreciated it, as was really feeling quite down at times!

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
I am going to have to go to my Doctor. Since the cool weather started I have developed dry itchy skin on one of my elbows. I have been putting bagbalm on it to sooth it, but it does not help it go away. I need a steroid ointment, I hope it doesn't spread.:sorry:

CBrewton5

Cavy Slave
but he strongly advised against using soap of any kind (I tried defending my lovely gentle Lush bars!)as it simply strips the skin of oils, and is unneccesary.

When it comes to 99.5% of the commercially available soaps, he is correct. Most of the manufacturers of commercially available soap strip their bars of the glycerin and other oils because the glycerin is way more valuable marketed separately than in the soap. People who make handmade soaps (savionierres) do what we call 'superfatting' the soaps, which means that 5-8% of the oils used to make the soap is left over after the saponification process (the combination of the sodium hydroxide and oils, the NaOH is completely saponified and therefore unharmful in any way, shape, form or fashion).

As a matter of interest, you know the Ivory Soap commercial, 'ninety nine and fourty-four one hundredths percent pure' that they're so proud of? They're right it is, but what that really means is that it's only .56% superfatted, meaning it does exactly what your dermatologist said alot of commercial soaps do, strips your skin of oils without putting anything back. It floats because it's whipped putting air into it and it's specific gravity is less than that of water.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I had some on my arms and eyes a while back. I put some porridge oats into the bath and soaked in regularly and then slapped on E45 cream. Although it didn't completely stop it, it did sooth it and stop me from itching.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.