Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

can guinea pigs be allergic to hay

popcornsmom

Cavy Slave
hi everyone i need some advice.
popcorn eems to be alergic to hay is this common at all
i buy hay by the bail because i have rabbits anbd i was feeding this to her but she was constantly sneezing so i stopped feeding this hay to her and bought new hay from the store for her thinking it was just the bailed hay the moment i put the new hay in the sneezing started again.
i know piggies need hay for their digestive systems and teeth. what im getting to is there a alternitive that i can give her in stead of hay?

thanks for the help in advance.

popcornsmom

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone I need some advice.
Popcorn seems to be allergic to hay is this common ?

I buy hay by the bail because I have rabbits and i was feeding this to her but she was constantly sneezing so i stopped feeding this hay to her and bought new hay from the store for her thinking it was just the bailed hay. The moment I put the new hay in the sneezing started again.
I know piggies need hay for their digestive systems and teeth. What I am getting to is there a alternitive that i can give her in stead of hay?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Trega

Cavy Slave
It might not be the hay. If your guinea pig is sneezing a lot then she could have a URI. You probably need to take her the the vet to get a check up. Sometimes guinea pigs do sneeze when eating hay especially if there is a lot of "hay dust", but if she sneezes no matter what kind of hay you are feding her it could be another issue.

popcornsmom

Cavy Slave
I will have to book an appointment. Whenever there is no hay in the cage she is fine but the moment hay is there the sneezing begins. Thanks for the advice.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
What type of hay are you using? Have you tried switching to another type of hay?

popcornsmom

Cavy Slave
I buy bails from a local farmer and when she started sneezing I went to the store and bought Pet Valu brand hay. The sneezing has continued with the new hay. None of the hay mells moldy or musty and it doesnt seem to dusty either.

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
Can't the hay be washed like vegetables so as to remove the dust? Or does this damage it even if it's set to dry afterwards?

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Hay would probably mold if washed.

No, I meant what species of hay are you using? Timothy? Orchardgrass? Have you tried switching from one type grass hay to another?

popcornsmom

Cavy Slave
I use timothy in the bails because of my rabbits, but did buy alfalfa from the store because shes only 4 months old. Thought i would give it a try and it didnt help.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Timothy and alfalfa are the most allergenic hays. Generally pigs aren't allergic to them but it's not unheard of. People are very frequently allergic to them. Most any other hay is less likely to cause allergic reactions in people and animals. Which is why we only use orchardgrass and bluegrass.

If your not giving her alfalfa hay though you should be giving alfalfa based pellets and some high calcium veggies. She's still growing and needs more nutrients than a standard adult diet of grass hay and timothy based pellets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.