Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores that have adoption signs

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
ok this is sad. why pick on pet smart???? i got all my pig supplise there and my piggies!!!! why go throu the hastle of ordering? petsmart is dependible!!!
my piggy was there and was chocking so i started to scream bloody nmurder and a petsmartassosiat saved my piggys life!!! so next time you pick on pet smart, think again!!!

Oh sure, they are as dependable as mites. Maybe you should read through threads here in the kitchen and see exactly why we are against pet stores. It's clear you know nothing of the conditions the pigs come from and the behind the scenes the stores don't want you to know about. We will continue to pick on PetNotSoSmart and all the other petstores that sell live sentient beings until they stop selling them.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
ok this is sad. why pick on pet smart???? i got all my pig supplise there and my piggies!!!! why go throu the hastle of ordering? petsmart is dependible!!!
my piggy was there and was chocking so i started to scream bloody nmurder and a petsmartassosiat saved my piggys life!!! so next time you pick on pet smart, think again!!!

Oh dear, please, please read all the threads about what is so wrong with petsmart and similar companies. They cause DEATH of countless guinea pigs. From the pigs they don't look after properly in their stores, the overbred females in the breeding mills, the piggies that die from poor care that they recommend, the pigs that get dumped because they were bought on impulse... so much suffering and death that could be so easily prevented. Every time you shop at petsmart you pay for them to mistreat and kill innocent animals.

Petsmart is dependable? To do what? To sell too small cages, toxic junk food, dangerous "toys"? To sell mis-sexed, pregnant and sick animals? To encourage impulse buying?

They saved its life? Why was it choking in the first place? Cheap, crap food perhaps? An illness caused by dangerous cedar or pine bedding? And they only saved it because you screamed at them... otherwise they would have let it die in agony then thrown it in the rubbish. Very compassionate.

Stores like petsmart only care about money - and they don't care how many animals suffer and die for them to get it. :mad:

maddie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
maddie

jilovecavies

Cavy Slave
Why did the rescues turn you down? Maybe that was something you should have considered before taking on the responsibility of piggies. Please read through the information other people have given to you, and you will understand why we're "picking" on petsmart.

maddie
maddie

evilnumberlady

Cavy Slave
maddie,

Petsmart does NOT sell the best brands of food. The best brands are Oxbow and Kleenmamas. I heve never seen a food at Petsmart that even makes the top 3.

You guinea pig was likely choking because it's food had seeds in it. A responsible store wouldn't feed guinea pig a food they A. can't digest well and B. can die from.

There is nothing good about the store. And us saying so is not an attack on you, but on the store. So please, just hear us out and stop being do defensive. There is a website made by the owner of this board that explains why pet stores are bad. Please check it out.

https://www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm

ctinaw

Cavy Slave
Now I didn't read every reply to this post yet but I did want to play Devil's Advocate for a minute. Let's keep in mind that not all petstores are evil. There is a pet store not far from where I live that actually only sells fish as its live pets and then of course pet supplies for fish and every other animal.

They also have a large room in the back dedicated to dog training classes AND they have the back area of the store dedicated as a permenant space for the humane society. The only furry pets sold there are humane society pets. Does this generate revenue for them? Well obviously. Does that make them evil? Not at all. That makes them a business that not only cares about animals enough to create their business around animals but not to sell breeded animals as well - and to donate a portion of their store to the humane society so those animals can be adopted.

So please be careful about generalizing all pet stores into a single classification. It just isn't the case.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Petsmart dependable? That's a new one. Last time I checked, they didn't give a crap about their hermit crabs, and let them suffer through horrible humidity that can easily be a death sentence for them. Last time I checked, they sold guinea pig exercise balls that guinea pigs can easily get hurt with. What would you do if you were treated like these animals? You'd obviously be very happy, because you think that's how they should be treated.

Are fish no longer classified as living things? It must be very, very new that they aren't. Either that, or they deserve much better.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
ctinaw said:
Let's keep in mind that not all petstores are evil.
We aren't as against petstores that don't sell animals. But the majority of petstores do sell things that can actually do more harm than good for your animals. Such as selling harnesses for pigs, balls and wheels for pigs, low quality foods and pellet mixes, treats that some animals can't digest very well, etc.

But we are against petstores that sell live, sentient beings. If you haven't taken the time to read our principles and philosophies, maybe you should go have a look at that forum and read what we stand for and against.

-Emma-

Cavy Slave
I think that people should continue to buy animals from pet stores because not all are infected and even if they are infected think how good you wold feel by giving a poor wee animal a home that used to live in a pet store in a grotty cage.

And I think that people should also adopt poor wee piggies that dont have homes ! Its such a shame ! I would adopt more piggies but my mum wont let me even though I have a big enough cage !

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
I think that people should continue to buy animals from pet stores because not all are infected and even if they are infected think how good you wold feel by giving a poor wee animal a home that used to live in a pet store in a grotty cage.

And I think that people should also adopt poor wee piggies that dont have homes ! Its such a shame ! I would adopt more piggies but my mum wont let me even though I have a big enough cage !

So do you think all the cute wee animals in the pet shops go to good homes? Did you realise that by paying for an animal you're giving them enough money to replace that one with four more? Are you going to rescue them too? Hmm?

They are absolutely no less deserving of a home but there comes a time when people need to use some willpower and not give profits to the companies that sell to any old home; be it for a pet stuck out in the garden or for snake food.

-Emma-

Cavy Slave
I didnt mean it like that I just meant that just because a bunch of wee piggies that have been dumped at a petstore dosent mean that they shouldnt be bought. And most of the people that come to buy a guinea pig are friendly people that are going to care for them and look after them.

I do agree that pet stores usually sell crap procucts that can harm your piggies and I think there should be a stop put to breeding if the person isnt prepared to keep all the animals they end up with.

I think that pet stores should take better care of the pets and not just ive the pets to anyone to make money. It really bugs me !

evilnumberlady

Cavy Slave
I think that pet stores should take better care of the pets and not just ive the pets to anyone to make money. It really bugs me !

The only way you can show them this is to stop giving them money by buying the animals from them. As long as it is profitable for the store it will continue to happen. That's why people on this board advocate getting animals in rescues, as that doesn't make profit for the stores.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
And most of the people that come to buy a guinea pig are friendly people that are going to care for them and look after them.
!

This is not the case AT ALL. In the UK the vast majority of guinea pigs are bought as pets for children and will live their lives outdoors in a hutch all year round. Who cares if they're friendly people, I certainly wouldn't call this the best of care.

Fluffy_Guinea

Cavy Slave
What about the millions of cavies being euthanized in shelters each day by purchasing from a petstore those people are taking away a home from a pig in a shelter. Maybe you should read this page on petstores it might help https://www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm.

I didnt mean it like that I just meant that just because a bunch of wee piggies that have been dumped at a petstore dosent mean that they shouldnt be bought. And most of the people that come to buy a guinea pig are friendly people that are going to care for them and look after them.

Of course it doesn't mean they shouldn't have a home they deserve a home but sometimes like pink piggy lips said there has to be a sacrifice for the greater good. By purchasing from a petstore those people are condeming many pigs to death or lives full of pain and misery. What about the sows in mills that must give birth over and over and any person who has children would know how painful that would be (just saying I have no children but I know giving birth is extremely painful). Making a sow breed over and over with no rest is called back to back breeding just in case you didn't know. Those pigs in petstores usually come from those places even if they come from a breeder who serves them food in golden dishes they still are contributing to the overpopulation problem.

And most of the people that come to buy a guinea pig are friendly people that are going to care for them and look after them

Like Daft said that is not the case at all most of the owners who purchase those pigs at the petstore are uneducated and most of them are impulse buys. Petstores don't help with that either the employees tell the owner all kinds of bull and most of it will harm the pig. Oh those pigs who came from the mill are usually sick and those uneducated owners probably won't notice untill it's to late.

I hope you consider this all, this kind of subject fires me up and a lot of people get fired up too. Many people work through blood, sweat and tears to help stop this practice and I know I will too but right now I am figuring out how I will help out and try to stop this and not just guinea pigs all animals dogs, cats, birds, etc.

Last edited:

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave

I'm sure a lot more people would actually be "rescuing" sick pigs IF it made a difference! They will just get restocked with MORE ill ones. MORE guinea pigs will be bred from the breeding facility the pet store gets them from. The breeding facility is often the place of disease. That means MORE pigs will get sick than "helped."

Fluffy_Guinea

Cavy Slave
I'm sure a lot more people would actually be "rescuing" sick pigs IF it made a difference! They will just get restocked with MORE ill ones. MORE guinea pigs will be bred from the breeding facility the pet store gets them from. The breeding facility is often the place of disease. That means MORE pigs will get sick than "helped."

Very good point Landhermie it's very true it makes no difference and the more people buy the more pigs they take in because of the demand for them they really only care about money when it comes down to it maybe they do care but most of them don't.

KK<3cavies

Cavy Slave
I know it is a little late, you already did your speech. I hope it went well. In my area, PetSmart and PetCo do adoption days through the local animal shelters. The shelters are so packed that they "foster" out the animals just to make room. I don't know how it is where any of ya'll live, but when an animal is in a shelter for too long and no one comes by to adopt them, they put them down. I would rather see them get out there, even if it's thru the petstores, and get these animals a home then to put them down. You still have to go thru the process of adoption. All the applications and such. As for anything else, besides like fish or something, I would not by from a petstore, animals that is. Of course I go to PetSmart at least once a week, between my 2 dogs, tiel and baby turtle, piggies on the way!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.