Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores that have adoption signs

mommyoffive

Cavy Slave
Our cashiers do the same as well, I use to be one before I switched to petcare...I loved taking care of the cats, i'd give them so much love and attention.

I have been reading on this thread...and some people seem to think that when petstores do adoptions its all for the revenue. Now forgetting the whole revenue issue...would people rather not have petstores adopt out at all? Then there can be more over crowding in shelters...now does that sound nice for innocent little animals? I think not.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
You don't have to be a jerk about it,
I'm not being a jerk. I'm being sarcastic. I really don't appreciate people telling me that what I have seen with my own eyes can't possibly be true. We aren't making this stuff up nor simply jumping on a bandwagon. Many of us have seen the problems for ourselves.

Saying the problems don't actually exist is insulting.

]fine maybe some stores aren't doing their job. Just dont say ALL petsmarts.
I will say that at least 80% of the Petsmarts I have gone into around the country have had sick, injured or neglected animals on the sales floor. That makes it the majority--not "some".

Our cats that we adopt out go through an adoption process to make sure that they're going to proper homes.
So, are the small animals that Petsmart sells worth less? Why don't they go through an adoption process to insure they go to good, devoted, knowledgeable homes? Why are they instead sold to anyone with the money to plunk down on the counter?

Can you see how hypocritical that is?

Perhaps you should read this
(broken link removed)

Here is a wonderful warm and fuzzy video taken in one of the Petsmart stores of hamsters having some fun
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/kitchen/23324-killer-hamsters-petsmart.html

Should I post more proof?

Last edited:

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
would people rather not have petstores adopt out at all? Then there can be more over crowding in shelters...now does that sound nice for innocent little animals? I think not.
We would like to see petstores stop selling animals so that the pet overpopulation stops growing. How can it be that you don't get that yet?

i fully support petstores that do not sell animals and hold adoptions instead. I will not support petstores that sell animals--treating them as a commodity and adding to the animal overpopulation and neglect crisis--and also adopt out just to gain some positive P.R. and added revenue from food and supply sales.

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
mommyoffive, how did you happen to adopt four animals from Petsmart who had various medical problems if they get all kinds of medical care?

Would you like to meet my Petsmart piggy, Ink Spot who wheezes when she runs because of the URI she had when I bought her. I took her back after one day because I could tell she was sick. Petsmart "cured" her with their veterinary care so I brought her home again but had to take her to my Vet the very next day for the same URI. It's a good thing she was separated from my other female from the other petstore who turned out to be pregnant.

And Samanthrax, I have Never seen a Petsmart employee touch a Humane Society cat that was brought in for adoption. Petsmart has NO part in the adoption process. None! And I think you probably know who sets the rules and checks the answers on the paperwork for those adoptions. It is not Petsmart.

One more thing; the local Petco reported their dead bettas as stolen because the employees did not clean under the little shelves the bowls were on and see that the bettas were JUMPING OUT of the uncovered bowls. I discovered it after I asked about the empty bowls and didn't believe the stolen fish explanation. Reporting them stolen must have kept the body count down rather nicely.

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
VoodooJoint, I don't have to tell you that the piggy with the URI or the pregnant piggy were both on the sales floor. I have seen so many piggies with obvious symptoms of URIs on those sales floors. How long did they live after they were purchased?

aloren

Cavy Slave
Currently at this moment we only have 3 pets in the iso room, being that ours actually DO get vegatables and fruits everyday, they DO get clean cage every couple of days, and they DO get medical attention when they are sick.

And then in the same post:

I have adopted four guinea pigs from my store and they have had a range of medical problems, from head tilt, to blindness, etc. They were in no condition to be sold and needed a lot of love and attention. These guinea pigs got their love and attention from me. Being that these guinea pigs were not adopted, the breeder lost money...so whats the big deal, petstores should have more adoptions like this.

And the contradictions run rampant! If they are so well cared for, and get the medical care they need, why did you 'adopt' four sick pigs from the same store that is so caring and loving to their animals?
Seriously, how many times does it have to be explained? Even if you do not 'buy' the pig, you are still opening the spot up for another innocent sow to be overbred, another innocent baby pig to be thrown in that spot, and to be sold to the clueless 5 year old who gets bored with it after a week. Then, it either spends the rest of his life in a small, filthy cage and is malnourished, ignored, and dies a slow, sad death or the parents decide they don't want it and drop it off in a box somewhere. Which we have seen happen alot here on this board.

mommyoffive

Cavy Slave
mommyoffive, how did you happen to adopt four animals from Petsmart who had various medical problems if they get all kinds of medical care?

And Samanthrax, I have Never seen a Petsmart employee touch a Humane Society cat that was brought in for adoption. Petsmart has NO part in the adoption process. None! And I think you probably know who sets the rules and checks the answers on the paperwork for those adoptions. It is not Petsmart.

Clearing some things up...when I first started working in the petcare department, the breeder who we got our pets from was horrible, all the hamsters had wettail, rats had eye infections, and the guinea pigs had head tilt. My department was going to stay with the breeder until I sort of let it slip that I was going to be turning them in if they didnt switch to another one. If I could have it my way, we wouldnt be selling at all, but policy is policy and no one can change it. Now it was during that time that I adopted three of the kids...Rosie, Sally, and Leo. They HAD been seen by the vets, and treated, sadly their head tilt was perminant after the antibiotics were done, and thats how I adopted them.

Now for what you wrote to SamAnthrax, I think you should do a little research before you go and write something. The cashiers DO interact with the cats. They are the ones who clean their cages and play with them morning and night. When it comes times for an adoption, the manager is the one who does it. Petsmart has forms for the adoptee to fill out as well as papers from the humane society. So yes, its not the humane society acting by its self.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
So they adopt out cats ... big deal. They're still selling animals, which makes their good intentions with the adoption of cats not good enough.

It's kind of like someone who leads an AA or NA group, but then goes out and sells crack on the street. The two actions contradict each other.

Petsmart could be the most fabulous place in the world. The animals entrusted to Petsmart's care could be the most perfect, healthy specimens in existence. Petsmart could hold all the cat adoptions possible in the world. But it DOESN'T MATTER. They are STILL selling animals. Guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, rats, mice, fish - whatever. Those are all living, sentient beings who are being treated like merchandise, which makes Petsmart not a good place.

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
I don't believe that Petsmart is actively involved in the adoption process but I realized that Susan is right, it doesn't matter. That is certainly NOT the reason why I dislike Petsmart. I dislike them because:

1.They sell live animals as if they were toys.
2.They give out false and harmful information about animals.
3.They abused my dog and lied to me when I took my dog there for grooming (This one's personal).
4.They sell unhealthy and sometimes dangerous products.

And that's reason enough.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
That is certainly NOT the reason why I dislike Petsmart. I dislike them because:

1.They sell live animals as if they were toys.
2.They give out false and harmful information about animals.
3.They abused my dog and lied to me when I took my dog there for grooming (This one's personal).
4.They sell unhealthy and sometimes dangerous products

Other reasons I dislike petstores (besides numbers 1, 2 and 4 above) are:
5. They get their pets from pet mills and backyard breeders.
6. They often sell animals with mites/parasites and other illnesses.
7. They sell pregnant females in many cases (no one knows they are pregnant because males and females tend to get mixed up or are not properly sexed by employees or the breeders/mills they come from.)

pink piggy lips

Cavy Slave
So they adopt out cats ... big deal. They're still selling animals, which makes their good intentions with the adoption of cats not good enough.

I'm not entirely sure if this is in response to me mentioning one of my local rescues/shelters uses Petsmart to adopt out cats.

But, I never said they were good for doing that. I originally asked if volunteering with this shelter/rescue at Petsmart was the same as putting my own seal of approval on it.

I think perhaps it is.

tweetybird82569

Cavy Slave
Those are local humain societys who are campaingning and attracting pet lovers.

pink piggy lips

Cavy Slave
Those are local humain societys who are campaingning and attracting pet lovers.

Again, all I was asking was if working with them was saying I approved of Petsmart.

tweetybird82569

Cavy Slave
well how much to they help compared to hurt?

Yes they do help, but they also really hurt, in my opinion they hurt several times more than helping.

Look into pet product realated death, also if you can find it look into how many purchaces of small animals there are each year.

Last edited:

pink piggy lips

Cavy Slave
well how much to they help compared to hurt?

Yes they do help, but they also really hurt, in my opinion they hurt several times more than helping.

Look into pet product realated death, also if you can find it look into how many purchaces of small animals there are each year.

Why exactly do I need to find out all this? I don't buy from pet stores, and I only adopt animals.

I was asked to volunteer with a local cat shelter. They keep their kitties at Petsmart. So they do adoptions with Petsmart.

I was just curious if helping the cat shelter would also be saying I'm OK with Petsmart.

Ramon

Cavy Slave
The cats and dogs (don't know if they keep dogs) at the local PetSmart are all adoption ones. However, they still sell small animals like birds, and rodents, and of course fish.

lissyann

Cavy Slave
ok so i agree with the pet stores that they dont try to care for their cavys, but honesty think about it, the guinea pigs that are there are still the loving guinea pigs that we love and care about. Why are you guys down with the poor guinea pigs. They need love just as much as the rest of them and just because they are unfortionate to be in those places doesnt mean that they should not have adoption days...

pink piggy lips

Cavy Slave
ok so i agree with the pet stores that they dont try to care for their cavys, but honesty think about it, the guinea pigs that are there are still the loving guinea pigs that we love and care about. Why are you guys down with the poor guinea pigs. They need love just as much as the rest of them and just because they are unfortionate to be in those places doesnt mean that they should have adoption days...

The idea is to sacrifice the few for the greater good. If you buy guinea pigs from pet stores and breeders (pigs in stores come from breeders, btw), you are contributing to the problems of overpopulation as well as the constant forced breeding the sows must go through over and over again to satisfy the demand for more guinea pigs to sale to the public.

Of course piggies in pet stores need love too, but it's important to resist the temptation to buy one because as soon as you do, another will take its place, continuing the cycle.

There's lots of info about this on this pro-rescue site.

maddie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
ok this is sad. why pick on pet smart???? i got all my pig supplise there and my piggies!!!! why go throu the hastle of ordering? petsmart is dependible!!!
my piggy was there and was chocking so i started to scream bloody nmurder and a petsmartassosiat saved my piggys life!!! so next time you pick on pet smart, think again!!!

Have you even bothered to read what this site stands for or what you are supporting by shopping there let alone buying animals there?

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/introductions/17032-newbies-please-read-post-first.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.