Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 87

Thread: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave Trega's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 02, 2006
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    432
    Blog Entries
    8
    Thanks
    69
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    Hey everyone I have a persuasive speech tomorrow night and I am going to speak about pet stores and why you shouldn't buy any animals or supplies there. When I metioned the speech to a friend of mine she stated that there are pet stores that have adoption days. What should I say about this if it is brought up in the question section of the speech? Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Cavy Caged zippysmom's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 28, 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    Pet-cetera only adopts out dogs and doesn't sell them. Perhaps the adoption means that they can't sell the pigs so they are calling it adoption.

  3. #3
    Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator! VoodooJoint's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 05, 2004
    Location
    In Oil Covered New Orleans - FUBP
    Posts
    9,487
    Thanks
    471
    Thanks
    3,249 Rec'd/800 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    While adoption days are a step in the right direction the fact remains that the only reason the pet stores do this is to generate revenue. If an animal gets adopted the chances are high that the adopter will buy all their supplies at the store.

    It is useless, in the end, to have adoption days if the store still insists on selling animals. You cannot claim to care about animal overpopulation, neglect and the idea of an animal as part of the family instead of a possesion if you are adding to the problem at the same time.
    Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You can't let the world judge you too much.

    Maude from Harold and Maude

  4. "Thank you, VoodooJoint, for this useful post," says:


  5. #4
    Administrator CavySpirit's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 03, 2004
    Location
    San Mateo, California
    Posts
    8,093
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    949
    Thanks
    2,452 Rec'd/800 Posts
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    This article details a number of explanations: Guinea Pig Home - Social Cause Marketing - Articles

  6. "Thank you, CavySpirit, for this useful post," say these 5 members:


  7. #5
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 27, 2005
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    15
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    Sounds to me like a visicious circle - pet store sells pigs which are then abandoned to the shelters, pet store has "adoption" days where people adopt the abandoned pigs and buy more supplies. Pet store wins twice over. Just another excellent reason to not buy from the pet store in the first place.

  8. "Thank you, Solebomber, for this useful post," say these 2 members:


  9. #6
    Cavy Slave Slave to the Wheek's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 16, 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    698
    Thanks
    56
    Thanks
    178 Rec'd/87 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    My favorite bit of marketing trickery is when they put their policy on adoption signs right onto the guinea pig cage! It APPEARS to the passersby that the pigs/rodents are up for "adoption" when in fact they are NOT. They do not include rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, rats, hamsters, mice and birds as "Pets", but specifically cats and dogs according to the details hidden in their website.

    I recently noticed this at a PetStupid store. They had placed stickers right onto the guinea pig/rodent cages which referenced their instore adoption center. When I asked to see the manager and asked him what shelter those animals were from he was very angry at me. He knew I'd called him on something and said that "pets" means cats and dogs and that these animals were for sale.

  10. "Thank you, Slave to the Wheek, for this useful post," say these 2 members:


  11. #7
    Cavy Slave Spiffy'n'Spunky's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, Arizona
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    There is one pet store in my town that does not sell any animals but holds an adoption day where the Humane Society brings some of the animals that have been down there for awhile to the store for people to adopt.

    Sure, it is somewhat of a way to generate revenue but hey, they have to make a living too. I think these people have their hearts in the right place though, they aren't really the greedy type and it is all run by a local family.

  12. #8
    Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator! VoodooJoint's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 05, 2004
    Location
    In Oil Covered New Orleans - FUBP
    Posts
    9,487
    Thanks
    471
    Thanks
    3,249 Rec'd/800 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy'n'Spunky View Post
    There is one pet store in my town that does not sell any animals but holds an adoption day where the Humane Society brings some of the animals that have been down there for awhile to the store for people to adopt.

    Sure, it is somewhat of a way to generate revenue but hey, they have to make a living too. I think these people have their hearts in the right place though, they aren't really the greedy type and it is all run by a local family.
    There is a big differance between stores that sell animals and stores that don't holding adoption days.

    Stores that sell animals as well as adopt are helping no one and nothing but themselves. They are only in it for the money and impulse animal buys of the creatures they sell and don't really care about the plight of shelter animals. It's all a show to gain good public relations (by fooling the public).

    As an example; there is a feed store in my town that sells animals and also works with the SPCA and houses animals to adopt out. The SPCA had to stop sending their small animals for adoption there because the GPs, Rabbits, Ferrets, Etc from the SPCA were being displayed in a store that sold the exact same animals. The SPCA animals were not getting adopted because they were mostly adults and couldn't compete with the cute babies only a few feet away. The poor animals would sit there for months being ignored. The store wanted to keep accepting the small animals because it made them look like good guys while in fact they were causing more harm then good.

    Stores that only sell supplies and hold adoption days are doing things the right way. The store benefits because it generate revenue. The shelter animals benefit because they get homes and all animals in general benefit because it raises true awareness of the homeless animal problem and doesn't add to overpopulation and impulse animal buys.
    Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You can't let the world judge you too much.

    Maude from Harold and Maude

  13. "Thank you, VoodooJoint, for this useful post," say these 4 members:


  14. #9
    Banned
    Joined
    Nov 15, 2006
    Location
    BO-CO
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    Quote Originally Posted by emoxrobot View Post
    Hey everyone I have a persuasive speech tomorrow night and I am going to speak about pet stores and why you shouldn't buy any animals or supplies there. When I metioned the speech to a friend of mine she stated that there are pet stores that have adoption days. What should I say about this if it is brought up in the question section of the speech? Any help would be appreciated.

    Really what you need to do is go to the source. But since you have very little time, I'd go to the next best thing: Google.com. I would infact ( if you find anything thats liget) take it , highlite it and have it with you. It's going to take more than time you have to find good hard facts on this. Im acctually a college student fighting for animal rights so I no what your going through right now. Best of Luck.

  15. #10
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Apr 17, 2006
    Location
    Hamilton, ON, Canada
    Posts
    1,432
    Thanks
    67
    Thanks
    92 Rec'd/61 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    Emoxrobot, how did your speech go? Do you think you were persuasive enough that your class won't buy from pet stores?

  16. #11
    Cavy Slave Trega's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 02, 2006
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    432
    Blog Entries
    8
    Thanks
    69
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    Quote Originally Posted by fairysari View Post
    Emoxrobot, how did your speech go? Do you think you were persuasive enough that your class won't buy from pet stores?
    Oh my gosh it was great. To see the looks on their faces after I talked to them about mills and showed images of what goes on there they were horrified. I also drew on the board a diagram showing how quickly 2 animals could turn into many animals due to breeding and how that means the offspring will be in homes that animals in shelters needed.

    Anyways my class was very open-minded to begin with and they really enjoyed my informative speech on guinea pig care a few weeks ago. They didn't realize how much work cavies could be. They even refer to them as cavies now!

    At the end I metioned to go to this site and guinealynx before buying a gp and a lot of people wrote it down. I also said that if anyone needed help finding a place to adopt to let me know.

    So yeah I enjoyed it and I think they did too. I am now referred to as the "guinea pig lady."

  17. #12
    Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator! VoodooJoint's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 05, 2004
    Location
    In Oil Covered New Orleans - FUBP
    Posts
    9,487
    Thanks
    471
    Thanks
    3,249 Rec'd/800 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    Another example of why petstores that sell animals and hold adoption days doesn't work. From Cavy Care Inc. Guinea Pig Shelter

    Folks have been asking, "Why do you not see Cavy Care Inc. in Petsmart any more?"

    Six years ago we embarked on an innovative ideal at the invitation of Linda Zottnick, Manager of a Petsmart located at 104th and I-25, bring our adoptable guinea pigs in to her store on a permanent bases. Linda embraced the motto of Petsmart charities, “promoting adoptable animals where ever possible” and she did. Later at the suggestion of Karen Warden, Regional Manager, because of the success of our program she suggested that they would no longer sell guinea pigs in those stores that CCI was located at. Our program had proven itself to be very successful.

    In 2004 we where offered as many as 17 stores in the region but due to volunteer staffing shortages we where only able to maintain six locations.

    Our goal is the quality of the animals we offer for adoption, not how many we get adopted. And so we maintained six stores in varies locations.

    That all changed in January/March of 2006. A corporate big wig from Phoenix came through Colorado and ordered the six stores we where located in to start selling baby guinea pigs. “The Petsmart motto of offering adoptable animals wherever possible only applied to dogs and cats, not guinea pigs”, was her response, despite our placement of over 4000 guinea pigs in the last 8-years. All locations quickly complied except Ken Caryl. They have been holding out for as long as they could. But as of today (10/30/06) I have notified them that we will be pulling out as of November 15th. They have received orders to comply by the new District Manager, and while we appreciate their desire to make a difference there is no reason their manager needs to get in trouble ~Petsmart corporate has indicated they are no longer interested in promoting any thing other then dogs and cats.

    For the last ten months we have attempted to work with this new policy. But hey, babies are cute and who wouldn’t want them. Over time we found ourselves moved to areas away from their own animals. Located back by the fish tanks or located behind the large kennels of adoptable cats. No one could find us. We where placed in areas folks where not going to find us if they where looking for a guinea pigs. What made it even worse was that even when we where in a store, folks looking to adopt where told we where no longer there, even when we were.

    Enough was enough. Adoptions dropped to where we where getting zero of our guinea pigs adopted for months at a time. These where locations that we use to have trouble keeping full and would have to make special trips to fill again. These are stressful environments and if our animals where not going to even get any type of consideration then it was time to leave. These creatures deserved better.
    Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You can't let the world judge you too much.

    Maude from Harold and Maude

  18. #13
    Cavy Slave DaisyGP's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 29, 2005
    Posts
    192
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooJoint View Post
    Another example of why petstores that sell animals and hold adoption days doesn't work. From Cavy Care Inc. Guinea Pig Shelter

    Folks have been asking, "Why do you not see Cavy Care Inc. in Petsmart any more?"

    Six years ago we embarked on an innovative ideal at the invitation of Linda Zottnick, Manager of a Petsmart located at 104th and I-25, bring our adoptable guinea pigs in to her store on a permanent bases. Linda embraced the motto of Petsmart charities, “promoting adoptable animals where ever possible” and she did. Later at the suggestion of Karen Warden, Regional Manager, because of the success of our program she suggested that they would no longer sell guinea pigs in those stores that CCI was located at. Our program had proven itself to be very successful.

    In 2004 we where offered as many as 17 stores in the region but due to volunteer staffing shortages we where only able to maintain six locations.

    Our goal is the quality of the animals we offer for adoption, not how many we get adopted. And so we maintained six stores in varies locations.

    That all changed in January/March of 2006. A corporate big wig from Phoenix came through Colorado and ordered the six stores we where located in to start selling baby guinea pigs. “The Petsmart motto of offering adoptable animals wherever possible only applied to dogs and cats, not guinea pigs”, was her response, despite our placement of over 4000 guinea pigs in the last 8-years. All locations quickly complied except Ken Caryl. They have been holding out for as long as they could. But as of today (10/30/06) I have notified them that we will be pulling out as of November 15th. They have received orders to comply by the new District Manager, and while we appreciate their desire to make a difference there is no reason their manager needs to get in trouble ~Petsmart corporate has indicated they are no longer interested in promoting any thing other then dogs and cats.

    For the last ten months we have attempted to work with this new policy. But hey, babies are cute and who wouldn’t want them. Over time we found ourselves moved to areas away from their own animals. Located back by the fish tanks or located behind the large kennels of adoptable cats. No one could find us. We where placed in areas folks where not going to find us if they where looking for a guinea pigs. What made it even worse was that even when we where in a store, folks looking to adopt where told we where no longer there, even when we were.

    Enough was enough. Adoptions dropped to where we where getting zero of our guinea pigs adopted for months at a time. These where locations that we use to have trouble keeping full and would have to make special trips to fill again. These are stressful environments and if our animals where not going to even get any type of consideration then it was time to leave. These creatures deserved better.
    I know what you mean. I use to work for a petsmart. They only adopted out cats and dogs. Our store was considered more "liberal" because they let us refuse to sell a pet to someone how shouldn't provide for it, was going to keep it in conditions, use it as a feeder for another animal. We did this with all the animals sold. That includes the fish!! This is against coperate policy as I've been told, but out store manager was a nice lady.

  19. #14
    Cavy Slave standuprookie's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 19, 2006
    Location
    An hour NorthEast of Dallas
    Posts
    559
    Thanks
    23
    Thanks
    42 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    They can refuse but normally don't really care. My friend is not as big into animals welfare as I would like him to be, and he said when he was younger him and his uncle went to Petco or PetSmart, can't remember which one. And tried to buy a bunch of goldfish for bait and they told this to the guy behind the counter and they refused to sell them, but all they did was drive to the other one a cross town and not mention this to the other cashier, when he asked if they already had a tank set up at home they said "Yeah you know one of the tin ones with holes in side." The cashier asked no other question or asked what they meant.

  20. #15
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jan 03, 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    12
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    My problem with adoption days is they don't screen the people who adopt these cats and dogs. Im not talking about asking if they've owned a pet before. I'm talking about house checks and vet checks. We have clients who bring in their newly adopted pets that, given my opinion, shouldn't be allowed to care for a rock. Its VERY sad.

  21. #16
    Cavy Slave jdomans's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 24, 2005
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    3,388
    Thanks
    35
    Thanks
    77 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    Quote Originally Posted by PookiesPiggy View Post
    My problem with adoption days is they don't screen the people who adopt these cats and dogs. Im not talking about asking if they've owned a pet before. I'm talking about house checks and vet checks. We have clients who bring in their newly adopted pets that, given my opinion, shouldn't be allowed to care for a rock. Its VERY sad.

    I saw Mr. Chips on Petfinder and weeks later I saw him at PetsMart. On the Monday after I saw him, I called the Humane Society to see if he was still with them. I filled out 4 sheets of paper that told them about my knowledge of caring for dogs and my past pets. They called my apartment complex to make sure I could have a dog and they called my vet. PetsMart has nothing to do with adoptions here in Savannah other than allowing the different rescues to use their stores. The adoption policies are made by each rescue.

  22. #17
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jan 03, 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    12
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    Jdomans, you are correct. Even the Petsmart in our area have outside rescues come in for adoption days. I just wish the multi breed and species rescues that participate were as thorough as the rescues they have in GA. I don't think Petsmart is involved at all cause we can never get information when we need to get proper information on heartworm and flea preventative.
    Now the local rabbit rescue is awesome. They are at Petsmart the 2nd saturday of every month. I take my bunny up there and for a donation, they groom her for me. They call vets and do house checks. They also spay and neuter their rabbits before adoption.

  23. #18
    Cavy Slave standuprookie's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 19, 2006
    Location
    An hour NorthEast of Dallas
    Posts
    559
    Thanks
    23
    Thanks
    42 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    Why a rescue would work with a store that sells animals is beyond me.

    I know the Canine Commissary in Plano, TX does not sell pets, and when I was there today they said that Texas Rustlers holds adoption days there every now and again. This is what what more shelters and rescues need to do, that way they adopt out animals and also bring business to the pet stores with no animals, and away from the ones causing the problem.

  24. "Thank you, standuprookie, for this useful post," says:


  25. #19
    Cavy Slave Shera's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 16, 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    Here in Canada there are several large chain pet stores that house and adopt out animals (mainly cats) for the Humane Society.

  26. #20
    Cavy Slave DaCourt's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 16, 2004
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    868
    Thanks
    24
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pet Stores that have adoption signs

    OCCH only holds adoption days in pet stores that do not sell animals.

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •