Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Cavy Nutrition Charts Discussion Thread

HGgrits

Cavy Slave
Yay first post =D haha ok ok

Ly your awesome. Being a new, fist time piggie mother, you have answered all my questions, here and elsewhere on the site, except one.
Mabe that's cuz I'm new at this and don't know what all to ask yet, who knows lol. But awesome you still are.

My question is about figs. Now I read from another post that people don't really feed there guinea pigs figs, but I'm curious non the less being a fig lover myself. It lists figs as being ok to feed every so often , but figs are also listed under the Poisonous Plants list. how can this be?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Ly your awesome.
Why thank you.

My question is about figs. Now I read from another post that people don't really feed there guinea pigs figs, but I'm curious non the less being a fig lover myself. It lists figs as being ok to feed every so often , but figs are also listed under the Poisonous Plants list. how can this be?[/QUOTE]Most likely because it's a typo. I just checked the poisonous plants lists that I use and figs are not on either. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

julietta

Cavy Slave
Can someone tell me where I can find the nutrition chart. I printed it quite awhile ago and would like to get another copy. I love it and find it very useful.
Thanks.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Just some FYI, the link to the charts is in the first post of this thread and is in the sticky threads section of this forum where you found this thread.

julietta

Cavy Slave
Thank you!!!:)

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
I looked on the nutrition charts and also tried doing a search but I couldn't really find an answer to okra. Is okra okay for piggies to eat? Just curious because I didn't see it anywhere.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Hmmm, I just did a search for okra and found several hits.

Here's a post by me about okra. (broken link removed)

In addition, make sure to remove the seeds.

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Would feeding Kale,Parsley and turnip greens (In the same week, not at the same time or every day but according to the suggested feeding in the charts) be too much for them, CA wise?

ingrid

Cavy Slave
I couldn't find anything on tomatillos. Is there another name for it?

Amy1981

Cavy Slave
Firstly, thank you for posting this very informative chart! It will come in very handy when I adopt my piggies in a few weeks.

Second, I have a question about corn. I've read varying takes on it. Some say that you shouldn't give food with corn in it, yet in the nutrition chart, it says you can give corn on the cob 1-2 times per week and you can give the husk/silk daily.

I'm getting really confused on the corn deal. I don't want to give anything to my piggies that could potentially harm them. Can someone clarify this? Thanks!!!

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
The problem with the corn in the food is that it is dried and poses a choking hazard. The fresh corn does not pose that issue. The husks are great my piggies adore them!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Firstly, thank you for posting this very informative chart! It will come in very handy when I adopt my piggies in a few weeks.

Second, I have a question about corn. I've read varying takes on it. Some say that you shouldn't give food with corn in it, yet in the nutrition chart, it says you can give corn on the cob 1-2 times per week and you can give the husk/silk daily.

I'm getting really confused on the corn deal. I don't want to give anything to my piggies that could potentially harm them. Can someone clarify this? Thanks!!!
You're welcome.

I am going to explain the corn thing a bit more in detail. In plain pellets, corn if often used as a cheap filler and one of the main ingredients. In pellets mixes, dried corn is often an ingredient. Pellet mixes are best avoided at all costs due to the obesity factor, high choking risk and the fact they make for selective eaters. Corn, especially what is used for pet foods can harbor deadly carcinogenics called aflatoxins. Corn is also high in fats and sugars.

Fresh corn is not the same as the dried corn used in pet foods. Fresh corn can be given (about 1/3-1/2 an ear per 2 pigs) once a week is best. The husk and silks can be considered forages and can be given daily.

Amy1981

Cavy Slave
You're welcome.

I am going to explain the corn thing a bit more in detail. In plain pellets, corn if often used as a cheap filler and one of the main ingredients. In pellets mixes, dried corn is often an ingredient. Pellet mixes are best avoided at all costs due to the obesity factor, high choking risk and the fact they make for selective eaters. Corn, especially what is used for pet foods can harbor deadly carcinogenics called aflatoxins. Corn is also high in fats and sugars.

Fresh corn is not the same as the dried corn used in pet foods. Fresh corn can be given (about 1/3-1/2 an ear per 2 pigs) once a week is best. The husk and silks can be considered forages and can be given daily.

Thank you! So I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered, but which dry food can/should I feed my piggies when I get them? I’ll probably be mainly shopping at Petsmart because it is the closest to where I live. Kaytee seems to be a popular brand featured on their website, but I’ve also been seeing that a lot of people use Oxbow. What would you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Kaytee is garbage. Oxbow is the preferred brand. Kleenmama's is also excellent and the best out there but it's available by mail order only.

ingrid

Cavy Slave
Ly do you have any info on tomatillos?

loveurpetalways

Cavy Gazer
I love the veggie and fruit chart you provided Ly. I've been reading through this thread and found many questions people have asked and concerns.
I stick to what your chart says, but for the most part I feed, lettus' (other than ice burg) and pepers of different colours (not the spicy ones). I've also been feeding Kale as my pigs are loving it. Occasionaly they get carrots and every couple days parsley from my grandparents garden. Cilantro is also given to them once in a while. I try to change it up, but my pigs aren't "big" eaters I guess you could say. Also cucumber seems to be a favorite with them, but again, only a couple times a week are they given it.
I don't give them fruit.
Is that ok?
The only fruit they love is water melon. Well that can sometimes be pricy and not worth the bucks. I give them the rind to. Latly I haven't purchased any water melon, so they haven't gotten any fruits latly.
They're not big fruit eaters, is that ok?

GuineaPigJoy

Cavy Slave
So I have this large list of veggies and fruits I'm going to ration throughout the weeks. But my 4 girls are pregnant currently. Is there any veggie that I SHOULDN'T feed them? Or is there any Veggie I should be feeding them more of?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't feed stuff like chard or spinach. Keep fruits to a minimum and you could give higher calcium veggies more often like every 2 1/2-3 days if you aren't feeding alfalfa hay or pellets. Other than that, just give a nice balanced diet.

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for making my shopping so easy!
Only thing is as I'm a native french speaker I had to translate all and do some research, often the french name wasn't ringing a bell at all.. so if you want the french version of it, I can share it with you. I still have few things to check though if you want it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.