Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Cavy Nutrition Charts Discussion Thread

CF#5
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
thank you for the chart I am a new cavy owner and want to make sure I feed him right going to get this printed out tomorrow and keep near cage

zachdave

Cavy Slave
I see orange bell pepper occasionally in the fruit store and am wondering if that can be fed daily (like yellow or green bell pepper) or less frequently like red pepper.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
All colors can be fed. The reason they aren't on the charts is because I have found no info on their nutritional data.

Since they would be in between yellow and red on the charts if I had the info, I'd say you could feed a small bit daily but better fed every other day as I am sure they are higher in sugar than yellow or green.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
I'm a bit confused by something. The chart says strawberries and raspberries are good Almost Daily, but I've read many posts about limiting fruits to once or twice a week. Are these two fruits good for daily feeding?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I'm a bit confused by something. The chart says strawberries and raspberries are good Almost Daily, but I've read many posts about limiting fruits to once or twice a week. Are these two fruits good for daily feeding?

In my honest opinion, no fruits are good for daily feeding. Too many sugars aren't good for pigs. They are listed in the almost daily category because of the way the nutritional numbers add up. It's best to feed fruits about twice per week.

zachdave

Cavy Slave
Are peppermint leaves a viable option? They are not on the chart, but we have some and I was wondering if they are edible for guinea pigs.

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
They are. Just feed like other herbs, which is 2-4 or 1-2 a week, I think.

jumpmaster_15k

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the information. I love the chart. I am hanging it next to Reecie's cage so we can make sure we are feeding her properly.

DinnyPids

Cavy Slave
I am so grateful for the nutrition chart! I know that was a lot of hard work to put together. I have a question about okra. Are piggies allowed to have this? My garden is prolific in tomato and okra but scant in bell peppers this year.

DanielleD615

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering why the seed bars and yogurt drops are bad for the guinea pigs? I don't give them to my pig often but on occasion i would give him a yogurt drop as a treat or put a small seed bar in his cage to nibble on. Usually i give him fresh fruits or veggies but i was curious if the occasional yogurt drop is okay or if i should stop all together.

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
You should stop feeding them immediately. Yogurt drops are bad because cavies are lactose intolerant. They are supposed to be 100% herbivores. They survive on water, hay, pellets (which are made of hay and fortified with vitamin C), and fruits and veggies. Same for seeds, they are not good for them. Choking hazard, as well.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Seed bars cause choking risks and obesity. They are also made with too many preservatives and bad ingredients. Yogurt drops are made with dairy products and cavies are lactose intolerant. The best diet is one with a good quality grass hay, plain high quality pellets and fresh veggies with fruit upon occasion as a treat.

DanielleD615

Cavy Slave
Ok so first thing, i love the chart. It was very helpful.

My main question is that i am not sure if i am feeding my piggy too much or too little. In the morning i fill his bowl with pellets ( the bowl is about 3.5 inches across) He usually tips the bowl over and munches at his food all day. I keep a good amount of hay in his cage at all times and i give him some kind of fresh veggie or fruit during the day. I worry i am not giving him enough fresh foods, but he poops like a machine so i feel like he has enough....?

- Danielle

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
You should be giving him an 1/8 of a cup pellets daily, unlimited hay daily, and at least 1 cup fresh veggies daily. Fruit should only be fed twice a week.

I recommend checking out the actual lists Ly has of peoples' pigs' diets. That was very helpful for me to see how much to feed.

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
Just a quick question. I have a couple of heads of broccoli that have gone to flower (little yellow ones). I used to eat these as a kid straight of the plant. Is it also safe to feed to guinea pigs. I was thinking small amounts 2-3 flowers per pig? or equivilent to a broccoli serving? Just wanted to check before I tried feeding them to my 2 boys.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
It would be equivalent to a serving of broccoli which is one floret per pig once or twice per week.

Bennalaya

Cavy Slave
I don't have any questions, but since I haven't been a member long enough to officially thank members for their posts I wanted to thank you, Ly, for taking all of the time and doing all of the research to make these charts available to us. I printed the charts out, laminated them and keep them in the kitchen. These charts have proven invaluable to me, so thank you.

PoshPawsCavys

Cavy Slave
I also appreciate this chart as its helped me see which veggies I was over-feeding! Thank-you :D

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
Ly, the chart is based off of 100 gram portions. I realize it may be difficult to put in what a serving size is for each vegetable in the chart.
However, approximately how many grams is a serving size of greens and veggies for a guinea?
I'd like to find out if I am underfeeding veggies or not. Once I know that I will be able to limit the pellets properly without worrying if they are hungry or if they are fooling me.
I'd like to base it off of this post of yours.
  • Feed 2 servings of leafy greens daily.
  • Feed 1 serving of veggies daily (non-leafy green vegetables).
  • Feed 1/2 serving of fruit daily (don't go overboard with fruits as they are high in sugars).
So if you know the specifics on amount of grams for serving sizes on these three groups, that would be very helpful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.