Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Cavy Nutrition Charts Discussion Thread

Fay

Cavy Slave
You feed them apple daily? You might want to cut down to giving apple once or twice a week as it's very high in sugar.

My 3 Sons

Cavy Slave
What exactly is the question?
My question was concerning feeding my boys each a 1/3 of a carrot a day & the apple treats, if it's too much for them?
I haven't heard anything bad about carrots, just to limit them to a baby carrot a day.

Fay said:
"You feed them apple daily? You might want to cut down to giving apple once or twice a week as it's very high in sugar".

Thank you, I will skip the daily apple treats.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I haven't heard anything bad about carrots, just to limit them to a baby carrot a day.
The problem with carrots is that they are high in Vitamin A. Over time Vitamin A in large quantities can lead to liver/kidney damage. This is why baby carrots are limited to no more than one small-medium baby carrot per pig per day or the equivalent of in regular carrots.

My 3 Sons

Cavy Slave
Thank you again for the answers to healthy feeding...........................& the forum so we can talk about our guinea pigs.:)

p.s. I have fond memories of living in Jasper & Harrison, Ark. in 1981

MissCin

Cavy Slave
I read somewhere that bell peppers should be feed daily because they are high in Vitamin C. The thing is my girls wont even touch it! What's something else that has vitamic C?

Thanks.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
There aren't really any other daily veggies with a high C content like bell peppers have. Have you tried various colors of bell peppers? Some pigs may not like green but adore yellow, orange or red.

Other high C foods are Kale, broccoli and kiwi fruit but these have to be given in moderation and only given X times per week. Lettuces and cilantro contain some C but you would have to give quite a bit of those to get the daily intake of C for a pig.

The recommended dosage is 10-30 mg of C per kilogram (kg) of weight.

MissCin

Cavy Slave
I have tried all colors except orange, I'll give it a try next time I go grocery shopping. I give them cilantro everyday and they love it.

Thanks.

Sugar

Cavy Slave
Hello,

The chart is fantastic, and its really helped me work out a sutible diet for Sugar & Spice :)

Ledasmom

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know if anise hyssop is okay for guinea pigs? This is not the same herb as hyssop, which is genus Hyssopus; anise hyssop is Agastache foeniculum.
I figure it's not likely that anyone knows for sure, but I might as well ask; the stuff's taking over part of the garden.

Natasha

Cavy Slave
Is it ok to give my guinea pigs more than one different type of fruit/veggie per day as long as I stick to the correct serving sizes for each?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
That's what you are supposed to do, give a nice variety of things. If you go by the color coding on the charts, it tells what can be fed how often. Just be in mind that the 100 grams (or in some cases 25 gram) portions are not a serving size but a guideline as to how much of what (C, A, calcium) is in that much of the fruit/veggie. There are several daily things that can be given. Then you mix other things in and rotate them around. Just be careful with fruits. Even though some say they can be fed daily, it's actually better not to because too much sugar can lead to problems.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs LOVE the green peppers. I give them tomatoes once in a great while, too, and most of them like that. They also like cucumbers. And of course, they LOVE romaine and carrots. They aren't really kale or parsley piggies, though. They also love corn husks. Some of them like strawberries.

cavynut!!!

Cavy Slave
Hi, I havn't come on here for a little while but had a quick qustion. In my Fridge I found some Nectarines and Green Onions. Can Guinea Pigs eat either of these? Thanks.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
In my Fridge I found some Nectarines and Green Onions. Can Guinea Pigs eat either of these? Thanks.
Yes, they can have a small amount of the nectarines as it's a fruit. About 1/8th of the nectrarine each. And they can have green onion tops.

cavynut!!!

Cavy Slave
Yes, they can have a small amount of the nectarines as it's a fruit. About 1/8th of the nectrarine each. And they can have green onion tops.

OK, thanks about the Nectarines. My Pigs love it! Sorry but by Tops do you mean all of the Green Part or just part of it? Or the White Part/

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
The green top part of green onions is what I am referring to.

scarymonster742

Cavy Slave
I assume this chart is for adult piggies...yes? Mine are babies (6-8 weeks). Should I be cutting this down? Will they stop eating when full? If I give less now, how much should I increase it and how often? 9Sorry for so many questions...I just want to give them the best I can.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I assume this chart is for adult piggies...yes? Mine are babies (6-8 weeks). Should I be cutting this down? Will they stop eating when full? If I give less now, how much should I increase it and how often? 9Sorry for so many questions...I just want to give them the best I can.
The charts are for pigs of all ages, young ones included. If yours have never had veggies before then start with one or two things like lettuces (any variety but iceburg) and bell peppers. Then every 3-4 days add in something new. That way they get adjusted to eating veggies slowly as to not upset their tummies. After a 2-3 weeks of doing this they should be up to at least one cup each per day.

scarymonster742

Cavy Slave
Great! Thanks.

I gave them carrots and a piece of pear last night when I brought them home, and a piece of destringed celery today. I will get some bell peppers and greens this weekend.

They seemed to really like carrot and were not too keen on pear. So far, they have not noticed the celery.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.