Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Cavy Nutrition Charts Discussion Thread

Naomi

Cavy Slave
How about garlic sprouts? I got these in my weekly organic veggie delivery. They look like alfalfa sprouts but have a faint garlic flavor to them. i also got something lettuce like called Mâche.

Last edited:

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Should chocolate be on the "Do not" list?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
How about garlic sprouts?
That would be a no on the garlic sprouts or garlic.

i also got something lettuce like called Mâche.
I've never heard of it.

Should chocolate be on the "Do not" list?
Chocolate is a no as well. It would take someone pretty stupid to want to feed their pigs chocolate.

Naomi

Cavy Slave
mache is also called corn salad or lamb's lettuce I think.

Ledasmom

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have any information about sour grass or wild mustard for cavies?

The two plants commonly called sourgrass of which I am aware are Rumex acetosella and various species of Oxalis. I have not been able to find the exact oxalic acid content of each, but it's generally recommended that humans eat Oxalis, also known as wood sorrel and by various other names, in small quantities if at all, and Rumex is also known to contain significant oxalic acid.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
The two plants commonly called sourgrass of which I am aware are Rumex acetosella and various species of Oxalis. I have not been able to find the exact oxalic acid content of each, but it's generally recommended that humans eat Oxalis, also known as wood sorrel and by various other names, in small quantities if at all, and Rumex is also known to contain significant oxalic acid.
It would probably be best to avoid these items if they contain high levels of oxalic acid.

bsteph

Cavy Slave
It would probably be best to avoid these items if they contain high levels of oxalic acid.

Thanks to Ledasmom for the sourgrass info. Wild Mustard anyone?

Ledasmom

Cavy Slave
Do you mean the wild mustard with yellow flowers, one to three feet tall, largish (up to six inch) leaves? There's a couple of other plants that may go by that name as well - if you have a description and location, that would be good. One of the plants called wild mustard is Synapis arvensis, also called Brassica arvensis or Brassica caber, but there seem to be others, mostly related to the plants used to produce cultivated mustard greens.

new2piggies

Cavy Slave
The chart lists "peas, edible-podded." I feel really dense needing to ask, but does this mean to feed them the peas or the pods? I have seen postings that indicate the peas and others that indicate the pods. Help! My piggies are very picky and we are trying to find veggies that they will eat. Thank you!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
It's the peas and the pod. You can feed fresh podded peas or snow peas.

Yvonne

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to say Thank you for this list. I am new to keeping guinea pigs and was a little worried about the fruit and veg intake, this list is a great helap. One question though, as I haven't really read it thoroughly yet, I was told NO lettuce, but it is listed. Are they allowed lettuce?

Fay

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to say Thank you for this list. I am new to keeping guinea pigs and was a little worried about the fruit and veg intake, this list is a great helap. One question though, as I haven't really read it thoroughly yet, I was told NO lettuce, but it is listed. Are they allowed lettuce?

The lettuce they aren't allowed to have is Iceberg lettuce. If you check the chart you will see the kind of lettuces they are allowed to have. You could also do a search on the diet forum for more lettuces you could try. If the lettuce you want to try is not on the list or you can't find it on the forum you can ask or just not give it. If you doubt about any food you give then don't feed it as some can be dangerous or bad for your pig.

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
Yvonne, I guess you're in the UK as you quoted the cost of your cage in £s not in dollars. I have read several UK books and leaflets stating confidently that piggies either shouldn't eat lettuce or should have it only very occasionally (because it makes them sleepy was the justification). I have found that most of the books I read contain a lot of bad information and the advice given by experienced members and mods on this site is so much more useful.
I worked out that instead of spending money buying an inaccurate book on cavy care, it was a much better use of my money to donate to this site instead and help disseminate good information as widely as possible.

I hope your piggies enjoy their (non-iceberg) lettuce!

Yvonne

Cavy Slave
THank you. The only book I have bought was by Peter Gurney and the rest of my info has come form other owners and this site. I am so pleased I found you all.

One more question. How much fruit/veg per guinea pig per day please. I think I read 100g somewhere. I don't want to over/under feed them. I think I have read too much as I keep tryin to remember what and where (smile)

jabberwock

Cavy Slave

bsteph

Cavy Slave
I looked at the menus earlier...it seems that Queen's and Jarbax's diets far exceed one cup of vegies daily. Is this to give them primarily a fresh food diet?

Yvonne

Cavy Slave
thank you. they are really enjoying the veg I am giving them. The squeaks are wonderful when they smell the veg arriving

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I looked at the menus earlier...it seems that Queen's and Jarbax's diets far exceed one cup of vegies daily. Is this to give them primarily a fresh food diet?
The minimum is 1 cup per pig daily. They can have more than that. Variety is the key to a good diet.

My 3 Sons

Cavy Slave
Your time & effort developing the food chart is appriciated. My 3 boys get plenty of fresh hay & grains. They also like lots of fresh yard grass, parsley, cilantro & kale. I rotate varieties each day.
My main question, they are crazy about carrots & apples. They share a medium carrot daily & a med. red apple lasts 5 days. I dice up 1/3 carrot into tiny chunks in the morning w/ their hay & some greens.
Thoughout the evening, they get hay, greens & little sliced carrot treats.
Their C&C cage is next to me in my favorite spot & they sit 2 feet from me & stare at me till I give them a treat.
They are 3 yrs. old & have eaten this way for a year & look healthy, happy & active. I love my little buddies & want the best for them.
I think that eatting is their main favorite activity for their little lives. They sure love their snacks!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
My main question, they are crazy about carrots & apples.
What exactly is the question?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.