Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Cavy Nutrition Charts Discussion Thread

caribear

Cavy Slave
Thanks Ly&Pigs. That is very informative. I may put it as a favorite of mine for quick reference.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I know cavies can have basil and mint, but can they have herbs like yucca, No
meadowsweet, No
vervain, No
valerian root, No
chamomile No
chives? Yes in moderation, only the green tops, at most once or twice per week

Also can they have
garlic NO
grapes Yes, one or two per pig no more than once or twice per week
grape seed extract? No

I am saying no to most of these until I can research to see if they are safe. I don't know much about many of the first group except chives but garlic and grape seed extract are definate no's.

hlover100

Cavy Slave
I am saying no to most of these until I can research to see if they are safe. I don't know much about many of the first group except chives but garlic and grape seed extract are definate no's.
Thanks, private message me if you find out.

bsteph

Cavy Slave
Pea Greens

My dh came home from the farmer's market with pea leaves/greens. Are these safe for cavies? There are a few blossoms too. Are these ok?
Regards,
bsteph

SoCalCavies

Cavy Slave
Again, any info on Escarole for my GL calculator?

(Thanks!)

kavykrazy

Cavy Slave
For some reason, I can't see the list. I would like to plant a garden. Is there a list of plants that are totally edible? I was told bean plants are, vines, leaves and the green beans. Also nasturtiums. Would the plants have the same nutritional value?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
KavyKrazy, can you open the pdf document to view?

bsteph said:
My dh came home from the farmer's market with pea leaves/greens. Are these safe for cavies? There are a few blossoms too. Are these ok?
I'd have to look it up.

Again, any info on Escarole for my GL calculator?
Escarole is a type of endive. There are two types of endives-narrow-leaved endive called curly endive and the broad-leaved endive which is often called escarole. On the USDA database, I've found info for endive but it doesn't state which endive. There is no info for "escarole".

Based on a 100gram serving size:
Sugar- 0.25 grams
Calcium- 52mg
Phosphorus- 28mg
Vit. C- 6.5mg
Vit. A- 108mcg
Oxalic Acid- 110mg

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
I looked up pea sprouts and shoots last year (because we eat them a lot). The USDA database has data for the sprouted seeds and this link says it's for pea shoots
(broken link removed)

Generally I would use "pea sprouts" for the sprouted seeds grown in seed trays and harvested at about 4 inches and "pea shoots" as the young shoots and tendrils cut from larger pea plants (but the terms sometimes get used more interchangeably than that).
Anyway, the problem that I thought I found was that the Ca:p ratio was of the order of 1:10 which, from all I have read on this forum, is not OK so I didn't feed them. But I'd be interested to have a more expert opinion on this.

The escarole/endive thing gets onfusing. My local greengrocers classes Batavian lettuce as escarole - the supermarket labels it as lettuce. The values on the USDA database can only be averages because they can't test every different variety of any vegetable. For example, they list values for raw red (all year average), orange, yellow and green tomatoes. But there are hundreds of different tomato varieties and they will all vary slightly. The sugar content will vary particularly with the ripeness and that correlates with the weather. So it's not an exact science - we can't guaranteee that the particular lettuce/tomato/whatever that we give to our guinea pigs has exactly the same nutrition as the one in the table. But over a long enough period of time the averages should be the same.
So I would say that the USDA endive figures would probably incude escarole as well, though again I'd be interested to hear a more informed opinion.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Anyway, the problem that I thought I found was that the Ca:p ratio was of the order of 1:10 which, from all I have read on this forum, is not OK so I didn't feed them.
Is that 1 part calcium to 10 parts phosphorus? If so that is extremely high so it would be better to feed them as a veryyyyy rare treat (once every couple of months) in very small amounts or not at all.

The values on the USDA database can only be averages because they can't test every different variety of any vegetable.
They are averages. Not only do they not test every variety of vegetable and fruit, but there are differences in the contents of veggies/fruits dependant upon where they are grown, the soil content, fertalizers used, insectisides used, amount of sunlight, etc.

Basically the charts just give us a rough idea of what veggies can be fed more often and which cannot. The values are not die hard values.

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
Is that 1 part calcium to 10 parts phosphorus? If so that is extremely high so it would be better to feed them as a veryyyyy rare treat (once every couple of months) in very small amounts or not at all.

Apologies, it's not 1:10 (got phosphorus and potassium muddled up, which is why I dropped chemistry after one year of university) but it is about 1:4.6
The figures for the shoots were calcium 36mg/100g and phosphorus 165 mg/100g. I thought that was too high to make it worth feeding when there are so many other things they can have that have a more balanced ratio.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I thought that was too high to make it worth feeding when there are so many other things they can have that have a more balanced ratio.
You're correct. They could be fed as a once in a great while treat though.

bsteph

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the pea shoot info. The good news is that my human boys will eat them...ah another green! I sure am enjoying the cavy diet...my personal salads are much tastier and varied and I'm cooking up lovely greens to dine on. So glad the cavies have a varied palate!

SoCalCavies

Cavy Slave
Escarole is a type of endive. There are two types of endives-narrow-leaved endive called curly endive and the broad-leaved endive which is often called escarole. On the USDA database, I've found info for endive but it doesn't state which endive. There is no info for "escarole".

Based on a 100gram serving size:
Sugar- 0.25 grams
Calcium- 52mg
Phosphorus- 28mg
Vit. C- 6.5mg
Vit. A- 108mcg
Oxalic Acid- 110mg

Thank you so much! This is great. It kinda cracks me up though. I have learned so much about veggies that now I'm the one all the cashiers ask when they don't know what a veggie is called!

bsteph

Cavy Slave
sour grass (sorell), wild mustard greens, and boar #1

Howdy again,
Does anyone have any information about sour grass or wild mustard for cavies? Can cavies eat the flowers?

On another point, I have two boars. Can boar number one issue orders to boar number two telling him not to eat something number one wants? I'm slightly concerned that one boar is not getting his share of food. We do a lot of hand feeding to assure equity, but we can't do it all the time.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have any information about sour grass or wild mustard for cavies?
I'd have to do research on these to see if they are safe or not.

Can boar number one issue orders to boar number two telling him not to eat something number one wants?
The dominant boar may not be issuing orders but may just be taking what he wants from the other boar when veggie time comes. Sometimes it helps to put separate piles of veggies in the cage and a pile on each end of the cage.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Ly-
I have your chart hanging in my kitchen, along with my calendar of what I have fed on what days (thank you, so very much, for the work you have put into this).

I have one question about watermelon rind. Our four like the rind more than they like the red "meat" of the watermelon. This may be a stupid question, but does the rind contain less sugar and, therefore, can be given more often than once or twice a week? Our herd is willing to pay you a lot to say yes -they love it that much!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I don't know if the rind contains less sugar. I would just continue to feed it twice a week.

animalhouse

Cavy Slave
Ok, I know peas/pea pods are ok *if I read this right*, But what about Sno Peas. We eat those alot here. And was wondering if we could give them a pod or two. I Just want to Make sure! haha. And I noticed someone in another post made note they weren't sure there pigs were getting the right stuff. Well, my girls are the same way. Kisses eats right from me,and out of the dish, her favorite food first, then everything else. Hugs Doesn't come tome to hand feed, And ONLY Eats SOME of the stuff in the dish, But usually eats what kisses has in her mouth. What do I do bout that? Hugs only eats oranges and Apples on her own, lettuce, Celery, and celantro she only eats if kisses is, and every thing else wont touch.. SOMETIMES pepers.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Ok, I know peas/pea pods are ok *if I read this right*, But what about Sno Peas.
Snow peas fall under Peas, edible podded. Just follow the guidelines of how often to feed them in the amount suggested on the charts.

Just keep trying with the veggies. Hugs will eventually eat many types of veggies. Don't feed too much fruits though. They are too high in sugars and many are acidic.

dianneg273

Cavy Slave
Thankyou!!lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.