Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Cavy Nutrition Charts Discussion Thread

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Can I copy it and save it as a document on my computer so I can just click on it and then it comes up? I was able to do that with the Cuddly-e cup but I wanted to make sure.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
At the bottom of the charts themselves is a link to a .pdf file you can download and save for personal use. You may NOT copy and save my images to your computer. Only the .pdf document. .pdf files can be opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader or any reader that opens .pdf files.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
So I can save the pdf. files?

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Are you talking about henbit dead nettle? If you are, as far as I know it is in the mint family, is not poisoness and is edible for humans. I don't know about guinea pigs, though.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I'll check and get back to you on the henbit.

LoonyAngel

Cavy Slave
Thank you Ly for checking, I appreciate it. I didnt know where else to go to find out if it was safe for my piggies and I know that the people on these forums are knowledgeable about pigs so I thought it would be good to ask you guys. :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I'm not finding anything that suggests henbit is poisonous or toxic. However, I would feed only the leaves and in small quantities at first to see how they like it and how they tolerate it.

LoonyAngel

Cavy Slave
Ok, thank you, I will give it a try and see how it goes :)
I will just give them a little bit today and let you guys know how they like it.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Okay, this may seem like a dumb question, but I really need to know... If sweet potatos and yams are okay to give to piggies, then why not regular potatoes? ARE regular potatoes safe? I read on a totally different site on a list of things not to give piggies that they weren't. Is that true? And I mean the kind of potatoes everyone eats. You know, the kind McDonald's makes french fries out of.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
They are all three totally different plants. Regular potatoes are not safe for pigs if they are green skinned or green under the skin or have sprouts (eyes) growing from them.

Potatoes are very starchy, much more so than yams or sweet potatoes. It's best to just avoid them altogether.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks a lot. I'll use yams or sweet potatoes instead.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I have been wanting to plant an herb garden for the guineas to have a place to go and nibble on during floor-time. My question is, what are the best herbs to plant? My guineas LOVE cilantro and parsley, but surely there are other things I can plant that they might like! I already have cilantro growing. The parsley is going to be planted next week. I just want to know what else they might like?

Thank you in advance!

**EDIT** Also, I planted a pack of seeds someone gave me called Japanese mixed greens. Do you think those would be save for the guineas? It appears to be like a spring green mix, but that is not what the package said.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Mint, oregano, basil, and dill would be ok choices. There are some herbs on my charts you can look to see what's on there.

What does the back of the package say? Can you take photos of the front and back and upload them as attachments?

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
The back of the package says:
Mixed Greens: Japanese
12% Tricolor Green Calaloo, 24% Mizuna 20% Tatsoi, 20% Pak Choy, 6% Green Giant Mustard, 12% Red Giant Mustard, 6% Osaka Purple Mustard.

Mix includes award-winning summer and winter greens that are rich in carotenes, calcium, fiber, and also have potassium and folic acid.

After that it just has garden tips and planting instructions.

They are fron Livingston Seeds out of Columbus, OH. (Origin CHINA)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Alot of those are high calcium greens, not lettuces. They could be fed but only 2 maybe 3 times a week.

If you are looking for lettuces, I'd get a nice spring mix or mixed lettuce seeds.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Thank you Ly! I will look for a better mix. At least I can feed a bit of this to them, so they won't go to waste! Thank you for all of your information!

pringles70

Cavy Slave
This chart has been amazingly helpful, so thank you.

I have a question though, it may be stupid and for that I'm sorry. But when I was at the store last night I found "Alfafa sprouts", can they eat those safely?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
This chart has been amazingly helpful, so thank you.

I have a question though, it may be stupid and for that I'm sorry. But when I was at the store last night I found "Alfafa sprouts", can they eat those safely?

Thank you.

Yes they can have a small amount of alfalfa sprouts once or twice per week.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I've been meaning to print out a copy of the PDF file of the veggie charts so that my mom can have it when she takes care of my pigs when I'm working.

The pdf seems to no longer exist and is not linked to the link provided. Just thought you might want to know.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.