Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Getting Along Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livie

Cavy Slave
Mean comments? Just look at this thread. It might not feel mean to you, but it is to some others.

Can I just ask one thing which I asked before and did not get an answer - you were calling this breeder you met responsible but her shed horrific. Obviously she is NOT responsible because responsible breeders have lovely housing conditions for their pigs. That's a main point in.. responsible.

Livie

Cavy Slave
Sorry, there was a debate. A couple of posts were strong worded but I'm still not seeing rude.

But what I'm trying to say, a lot of people have read what people have said and have felt really hurt. It's really harsh saying how "horrible" they are keeping their pigs, when they are trying their best. Most of the cages on their were fine to me, sometimes they look a ton small in pictures. My C&C are huge but look small in pics (2x4.. thats not small is it?:sick: )

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Can I just ask one thing which I asked before and did not get an answer - you were calling this breeder you met responsible but her shed horrific. Obviously she is NOT responsible because responsible breeders have lovely housing conditions for their pigs. That's a main point in.. responsible.
Sorry, I didn't know you wanted an answer.

This shower/breeder was a high ranking and respected member of the GP breeder community. She came highly recommended by other breeders and was viewed as responsible.

Was she truelly responsible? Obviously not. The point is that other breeders saw her as responsible and respectable. Therein lies the problem. Breeders fail to police each other, report abuse and neglect and then get upset at the rescuers when we point out the problems. hey are so very willing to turn a blind eye to a "respected breeder" who keeps their animals in substandard conditions. Often they don't even realize the problems because they are used to poor conditions being the norm.

Clean up your own backyards and we won't tell you how to do it.

GP showpeople need to find a hobby that makes more sense. I wish someone could tell me why it benefits anyone to have show marked GPs.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
You state that we do not allow people to formulate their own beliefs and views, yet you condemn us for having a vegatarian site? You claim that our facts and statistis are incorrect, well which ones? I see a lot of finger pointing, yet no proof to back it up. It appears to be a lot of lip service without the evidence to back up your claims. Rude? Your childish antics Emma are rude. I feel sad for you and can only be led to believe by your insensitive comments (about eating pork) that you are very young and lack the real experiance needed to be empathtic. Would you consume a dog? Do you realize that pigs are more intelligent then dogs? When a dog is being scolded their body language reveals that they know fear. Can you imagine the body language of a pig before it is slaughtered? I bring this up only because of your initial attack. Go visit a slaughter house sometime and then tell me how much you enjoyed your pork dinner. Big talk for a little girl.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
If that's their best, then they really need to reconsider if they have the means to breed. If you can't even house your animals properly, than you shouldn't be bringing more into the world.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
But what I'm trying to say, a lot of people have read what people have said and have felt really hurt. It's really harsh saying how "horrible" they are keeping their pigs, when they are trying their best.
They can do a heck of a lot better.

The problem is they won't do better. There is a big differance between can't and won't.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
But what I'm trying to say, a lot of people have read what people have said and have felt really hurt. It's really harsh saying how "horrible" they are keeping their pigs, when they are trying their best. Most of the cages on their were fine to me, sometimes they look a ton small in pictures. My C&C are huge but look small in pics (2x4.. thats not small is it?:sick: )

Actually, I used to own one of the pet store cages. I got rid of it because it wasn't suitable for one pig. One of the pictures clearly illustrates the same cage containing two pigs. Looking back on it, I realise my current hamster cage is only slightly smaller.

What gets me is the fact that people see all the evidence for larger environments benefitting the guinea pigs, but choose to ignore it in favour of what conveniences them? It is a basic right of any being to live a spacious, clean, well-lit environment where they receive the care they deserve. It is our job as owners of these animals to not stand by and watch when animals DO NOT receive all of the above.

Livie

Cavy Slave
Actually, I used to own one of the pet store cages. I got rid of it because it wasn't suitable for one pig. One of the pictures clearly illustrates the same cage containing two pigs. Looking back on it, I realise my current hamster cage is only slightly smaller.

What gets me is the fact that people see all the evidence for larger environments benefitting the guinea pigs, but choose to ignore it in favour of what conveniences them? It is a basic right of any being to live a spacious, clean, well-lit environment where they receive the care they deserve. It is our job as owners of these animals to not stand by and watch when animals DO NOT receive all of the above.

I'm sorry but I clearly remember that when you first joined GPW, you said on one of the posts you were hoping to have a litter.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry but I clearly remember that when you first joined GPW, you said on one of the posts you were hoping to have a litter.

Oh my word I nearly fell down laughing when I read that. Show me the post. Please.

Last time I wanted baby guinea pigs I was 12 and my mother told me no.

Livie

Cavy Slave

But you really don't know something. If someone has a small cage, maybe they have free-ranging time for hours and hours a day, or get LOADS of playtime etc. You should NOT comment unless you know this stuff, you really shouldn't comment rudely at all.. or at least I wouldn't.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
But you really don't know something. If someone has a small cage, maybe they have free-ranging time for hours and hours a day, or get LOADS of playtime etc. You should NOT comment unless you know this stuff, you really shouldn't comment rudely at all.. or at least I wouldn't.

I'm sorry but just because you get a run in the garden doesn't mean you should live in a bathroom.

Livie

Cavy Slave
Oh my word I nearly fell down laughing when I read that. Show me the post. Please.

Last time I wanted baby guinea pigs I was 12 and my mother told me no.

You can say that all you want, but I remember quite clearly seeing you post that and I was suprised. Then you suddenly changed your thinking. You go look through ALL your posts and find it, I'm not going to waste my time to prove a point. Say what you want but I'm not, if you don't believe me - go search all her posts.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
You can say that all you want, but I remember quite clearly seeing you post that and I was suprised. Then you suddenly changed your thinking. You go look through ALL your posts and find it, I'm not going to waste my time to prove a point. Say what you want but I'm not, if you don't believe me - go search all her posts.

So do you know what my ID is on there?

You are really hilarious. Absolutely crack me up.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
It reall doesn't matter if Daft said that or not. The fact is that now I don't think Daft would ever purposfully breed (if she ever made a statement like that at all).

Most rescuers were once breeders. They often make the best arguments against breeding because there were there themselves.

It's not usually the breeders we hate. It's the breeding.

Although there are a few breeders I know of that would benefit greatly if they were to be stung up by their toenails.

Livie

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry but just because you get a run in the garden doesn't mean you should live in a bathroom.

That was harsh. I have 7 pigs; two rescue boars who live in a 2x3 C&C cage, two boars (I paired up my single boar with a baby before the summer) who live together in a 2x4 and a pair of three (neutered boar and two sows) who live in a 2x4. And I have plans to make a top floor once I order some more grids, they live on carefresh and eat Cavy Cuisine food..

They get LOADS of playtime everyday, hours and hours of cuddles and playtime.

Now.. before I had my C&C's I had pet store cages (this is also when I had just 5 pigs) and they got JUST as much love and attention even though they were in a smaller cage. My point here is - you shouldn't say something like "That's horrific to keep a pig in that" when you might not know that the pigs are out of the cage most of the day getting attention from their owners!

Ever think about that?

Livie

Cavy Slave
So do you know what my ID is on there?

You are really hilarious. Absolutely crack me up.

Glad you find me amusing.

Yes I know what your ID is on there. Why would I make that comment if I didn't? :eye-poppi

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
I'm not asking you to justify yourself, it's great that you keep your pigs in lovely C&C accommodation but bear in mind that just because people have a small cage, doesn't mean they let their pigs out for extended floor time/free ranging time because they have less housing space. In fact, you will probably find that C&C cages and floor time go more hand in hand than it would with a pet store cage.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for you to tell me my ID on GPW and give me the link to the post where I said I wanted a litter. Come on. I'm waiting.

Livie

Cavy Slave

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
you shouldn't say something like "That's horrific to keep a pig in that" when you might not know that the pigs are out of the cage most of the day getting attention from their owners!
So what if they are getting attention from their owners? The fact is that it is on their owner's schedule when they get out of their tiny cages. Aminals should be allowed to exercise on their terms.

Obviously, despite getting hours and hours of attention from you, you still realized that bigger cages would be better because you built them bigger cages. Why in the world are you supporting small cages when through your actions you believe that they are inadequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.