Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Vegetarism and Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I am sure there are countless vegetarians who struggle with their weight. Controlling body weight is a complex issue having to do with level of activity, amount of food and what type of food, and the rate at which your body handles food. Simply not eating meat does NOT make you healthy. I can easily imagine a slightly plump vegetarian, however, I do have a hard time picturing an OBESE one.

Sabriel, well put. Along the same lines, it is amusing how humans all too often think the world will simply implode if we weren't in it. Like the argument that eating animals "helps control the animal population". As much as it may hurt our pride, this earth does not need us. It would keep turning on its axis without us and arguably be in much better condition. This fabulous ecosystem has ways of controlling population and keeping things running on it's own. We aren't doing the world a "favor" by eating animals.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
To get back to the main topic. There are only a few religions that specifically promote a vegtarian die, of course not all that belong to those religions are vegetarians.

The only religions I know of that advocate vegetarianism in their practitioners are;

Jainism
Hinduism
Hare Krishnas
Rastafarian
Seventh Day Adventist
Chinease Mahayana Buddhism
Taoism

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
There is only one major religion that requires its practioners to be vegetarian or vegan and that is Jainism.

I've just very recently decided that this is what I believe in, so I've started doing some research on it. It's quite interesting.

I'm not sure if this post violates the boards policy on religion, but I just wanted share some of my observations of Jainism. Growing up, I went to the same school as several Jain's. One of my best friends is a practising Jain. I have to admit that this religion influenced me greatly when I was considering becoming a vegetarian.

However, while Jainism does try to emphasise respect towards animals, their stance towards women is not something I could come to terms with.
BBC - Religion & Ethics - Women in Jainism

Women are basically "second-class" citizens. They may have their opinions, but men will make the final decisions. So, all the girls I grew up with were also expected to settle down with a husband and start popping out babies straight out of high school. (Which in itself is alright, if that's what you want. But it should still be a choice.) All marriages were arranged. In the case of my friend, she had to give up her dream of going to university, so she could marry a man she didn't love (only men are allowed to study). Her husband was chosen because he would be good provider. As you can imagine, this upset her greatly. (Things have been improving though.)

The article mentions women being thought as "unpure." In practise, this means that women are not allowed to enter a temple or touch religious items while menstruating. Even something like cooking isn't allowed, because it's thought that by entering the kitchen, menstruating women contaminate food.

I just wanted to add this, as you mentioned an interest in Jainism. I'm not sure how far my own experiences portray all practising Jain's. I hope that other Jain groups give women more freedom than the one here in Antwerp. Because while I admire their ongoing respect towards animals, their attitude towards women frustrated me greatly.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks. I was hoping someone would have some more experience and insight on Jainism. I haven't even really scratched the surface yet in my studies. I'm always so busy. I have to make the time. On that link, "If women went around naked it would cause men to experience sexual desire and the desire produced would hinder the man's progress to liberation." Having just spent a week at on a Traditionalist Catholic retreat, this sounds oh so familiar. I think as far as a 'religion' goes, keeping the social order with men in control seems to be a recurring theme that they just can't keep stay away from. Were your friends Indian? Based on my readings, it seems like the vast majority of Jains are Indian.

Sensor Girl

Cavy Slave
Well I am a pagan and a vegitarian, but I was a vegitarian long before becomming a pagan. I suppose in a sense it does have to do with religion, but most of all, chewing on a corpse just grosses me out. Simple as that.

I'm of the beleif that whether you eat meat or not is a personal choice and it's not for everybody. While I try not to contribute to it myself, I'm a big beleiver in the cycle of life, and a large part of that is death. No one yells at a Lion for killing and eating a gazelle, just as I won't yell at another human for eating a cow. And I think that particular view is largly influenced by my religion, where as my own personal choice is only a partial infuence. I don't know if that answers your question at all (whoops? :p ) but I thought, as a pagan who takes alot from Wiccan traditions, I should comment.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I'm a Wiccan, Witchcraft is a Nature Religion and within witchcraft you have a complete freedom to follow your own path and you only live by two rules that state "An it harm none, do what ye will" which basically means Harm no-one, and you may do as you wish. The other rule is the rule of threefold, Whatever you do good or bad will come back to you threefold. Some say it's not really a rule but more a way to make you think twice before doing or saying anything and take responsibility for any of your actions. Wiccans respect and love animals and nature but that does not mean you have to be vegetarian to be a wiccan.

I love animals, I love nature but I see plants and fruits and vegetables as living things as well, I see the skin of an apple as the skin of an animal, I see the inside of an apple as the flesh of an animal and I see the core and seeds of an apple as the reproducive system of an animal.Trees and vegitation also gets brutaly cut, sliced, killed, eaten, abused. I feel that just because Nature can't talk, Can't show expressions, Can't run around freely like a lion doesn't mean it should be treaten any differently from the abuse animals suffer.

I'm not a vegetarian because I'm an omnivor. I feel as being Homo Sapien I was made to eat meat as well as vegitation. We are part of this energy that makes us and we need the energy within these living things to survive, It's natural to eat meat, It's natural to eat vegitation. It doesn't mean I want to see any living thing suffer or to be killed but I still need to eat to survive, I need to eat to stay alive so I can take the best care I can to my guinea pigs or any other animal or plant that needs my help but I also realize that I can't safe the world from suffering.

I respect those who are vegetarian and it only shows how caring they are (Unless they trying to make a fashion statement) and Witchcraft is a very good religion if you care about these things, People that practice witchcraft are ussualy very caring, wise and respectfull. It's one of the oldest religions there is. So I'd certianly recommend looking into it and see if it suits you but just like being vegetarian, religion is your own choice and should not be forced upon or be judged on as long as you stay respectfull and caring towards each other.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Were your friends Indian? Based on my readings, it seems like the vast majority of Jains are Indian.

Yes, they were all Indian. The only reason they're here in Antwerp is for business (diamonds). So many of them move between here and India quite frequently.

Onocclacter

Cavy Gazer
This is a very controversial question for me. We often had quarrels in the family on this topic, when my wife became a vegetarian. Given the fact that I am an avid hunter and my favorite place is forest, usually I view it for choosing new thing for bowhunting. However, over time, she began to despise me. I do not quite understand this attitude and the imposition of faith. We can be who we want, but without contempt. In general, there are many people who do not like the taste of meat and are very fond of fish and are fishermen.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
This thread is from 2006. We don't need to have another hunter vs. vegan debate here, especially as your first post. I'm closing this thread. Advice: try so-called 'hunting' with a camera if you like the forest instead of murder of innocents. It's not about faith and most definitely not about enjoying the taste of anything as a justification for it. Last word to the admin. This topic is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.