Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece The Fleece Project: The Study

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
If you sew extra loft quilt batting betweeen two layers of fleece, then you have what I am finding is Perfect.

I sewed pieces of fleece sewn into strings onto the sides (like a chair pad) to attach it to the cage floor.

It was a simple project that turned out to be perfect and solved every single problem I had. The hardest part was fitting 4 layers of high loft polyester quilt batting and 2 layers of fleece in the sewing machine. I had to go a bit slow, but it worked. I was really worried it wouldn't fit in the washer, but it's about like washing a queen sized comforter. It's smaller, but thicker. My cage is 3gridx4grids. Larger cages could be done with several of them that pull apart to wash.
  • No more disposable pads newspapers, towels, or mattress pads
  • No more fleece getting sucked up while I vacuum
  • No more wet spots
  • No more bricks or rocks or clips or tape to hold it down
  • No more dealing with hair stuck to the fleece since the fleece is held down tightly the vacuum sucks it up when I do the poo
I also made and bought some thin style fleece pads that I use under hidey's. I even made a thin one that is tied to the ramp. It catches the urine and washes with everything else.

It's never wet in more than one pee spot, and lasts over a week in a 2 story 3grid x 4grid cage with 2 pigs before it starts to stink like old urine.

Flipping it over midweek makes it even easier to keep the buildup off the top layer.

EdisonMom

Cavy Slave
I'm new here, so forgive me if this is the wrong spot for this. But I have made a bedding "pad" from the fleece that is similar to cloth diapers. I use fleece as the top layer, then two layers of hemp terry in the middle, and one layer of PUL (waterproof fabric) on the bottom. I folded the fleece over the layers to the bottom, so it makes a frame on the bottom, about 1 inch on all sides. Then I just sewed all around the edge, and sewed a few stitches in the middle, as if I were quilting it, so it would hold its shape in the wash. I made two of these pads so I can swap them out. I vacuum the "beans" every day and have had no leakage through the pad, and no unpleasant smell.

Just FYI, I bought hemp terry rampants from (broken link removed) for just $5/yard, and bought my PUL from Cloth Diaper Fabric, Diaper Patterns, Cloth Diaper Sewing, Sewing Cloth Diapers - Welcome for $6.95 yard.

Debbie GP Love

Cavy Slave
I love the idea to attach strings to the fleece to make something like a chair pad. I used sticky velcro attached to the floor bottom and also sewed to the fleece and this has been successful as well.

My piggies were notorious for pulling up the fleece and this solved that problem as well as being able to vacuum without fleece being sucked up.

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
I love the idea to attach strings to the fleece to make something like a chair pad. I used sticky velcro attached to the floor bottom and also sewed to the fleece and this has been successful as well.

My piggies were notorious for pulling up the fleece and this solved that problem as well as being able to vacuum without fleece being sucked up.

I knew there was someone who used velcro! I wanted to try that. Is it possible to post a pic? I'm wondering how you attach the fleece, and still get the absorbant pad under it..?

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
I knew there was someone who used velcro! I wanted to try that. Is it possible to post a pic? I'm wondering how you attach the fleece, and still get the absorbant pad under it..?

Velcro it to the sides rather than the bottom.

SoCalCavies

Cavy Slave
Laura, would you mind if I turned your article on fleece into a page on the site?

CavySpirit (Admin), could you include my information on Terry-fleece, if you choose to turn this info into a page? I've mentioned it several times on this site, but no one mentioned it here. It's worked 10 times better for me than the more-traditional fleece that was mentioned. I think it would be beneficial.

Just a suggestion.

Also, for great suggestions on how to stop the burrowing some people encounter, do a search! (You can search for people's old posts, right?) "Hansel" had a fantastic idea using PVC pipe... He/she even posted pictures of what he does, in detail. It's neat!

Debbie GP Love

Cavy Slave
I actually have all of the material sewn together; fleece and padding. The whole thing is just one big quilt that easily pulls up right to the wash. The velco is underneath the quilt and on the coroplast that is directly on the bottom of the cage. It stays nice and flat, the piggies cant get underneath and vacuuming is a snap.

I'll try to get a pic soon.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I actually have all of the material sewn together; fleece and padding. The whole thing is just one big quilt that easily pulls up right to the wash.

Me too. I have one layer of fleece sewn onto one layer of towel. It lasts over a week with no smells, is a breeze to vacuum, and takes half the time to pull out and to fit back in. It's also cut to the shape and size of my cages - pics are below.

Complete bottom level. Two large pieces of fleece.
WTPFleece.jpg

Set for Charlie's Bachelor Pad.
SquaresFleece.jpg

Fitted in the cages.
WTPFleeceincage.jpg

CharlieCageFleece.jpg

And Tuppy looking every bit a princess on her fabulous new, fitted fleece.
Tuppyprincessonfleece3.jpg

Debbie GP Love

Cavy Slave
Me too. I have one layer of fleece sewn onto one layer of towel. It lasts over a week with no smells, is a breeze to vacuum, and takes half the time to pull out and to fit back in. It's also cut to the shape and size of my cages - pics are below.

Thanks for starting this tread and all the helpful information. I love the pics. Tuppy is adorable. I did the same thing with soft toys on clips. We must be on the same wave-length.

One of these days I will figure out how to post my own pictures.

Love Ireland, wish I were there now.

yarag009

Cavy Slave
This is for Redefine: fleece is also called vellón in Spanish. :)

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
I have no ability to sew otherwise I'd love to make those fitted fleece beddings. Those look nice. So far we've done well with the fleece pinned down and towels. And hopefully tonight we get our washer and dryer we bought last weekend installed right so I can do laundry at home. Its too freakin cold out to go do laundry anyway.

MilesPiggies

Cavy Slave
I went to target and bought fleece blankets in the bady dept, I do not have a fabric store near by. DO you think this will work?

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
Should be fine, just remember to wash a few times so it whiks (sp?) the moisture through.

MattysMom

Cavy Slave
I just switched today from aspen to fleece, I'm not to sure how clean up on the fleece will be but im already relieved that there will be no more shavings to be kicked over the c&c. I have the feeling no many how many times i sweep and mop ill still be finding wood bits from now until i move lol. Hurray for fleece

SoCalCavies

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean! lol

Yes, hurray for fleece!!

piggie mommy

Cavy Slave
Wow! I am a first time piggie mommy! Actually they belong to my 2 daughters. This was very helpful to me as our funds are short. This sounds like the cheapest way around for bedding in the long run. Thank you soooo much for this thread!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.