Thanks
    Thanks
    178 Rec'd/87 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: The Fleece Project: The Study

If you sew extra loft quilt batting betweeen two layers of fleece, then you have what I am finding is Perfect.

I sewed pieces of fleece sewn into strings onto the sides (like a chair pad) to attach it to the cage floor.

It was a simple project that turned out to be perfect and solved every single problem I had. The hardest part was fitting 4 layers of high loft polyester quilt batting and 2 layers of fleece in the sewing machine. I had to go a bit slow, but it worked. I was really worried it wouldn't fit in the washer, but it's about like washing a queen sized comforter. It's smaller, but thicker. My cage is 3gridx4grids. Larger cages could be done with several of them that pull apart to wash.
    • No more disposable pads newspapers, towels, or mattress pads
    • No more fleece getting sucked up while I vacuum
    • No more wet spots
    • No more bricks or rocks or clips or tape to hold it down
    • No more dealing with hair stuck to the fleece since the fleece is held down tightly the vacuum sucks it up when I do the poo
    I also made and bought some thin style fleece pads that I use under hidey's. I even made a thin one that is tied to the ramp. It catches the urine and washes with everything else.

It's never wet in more than one pee spot, and lasts over a week in a 2 story 3grid x 4grid cage with 2 pigs before it starts to stink like old urine.

Flipping it over midweek makes it even easier to keep the buildup off the top layer.

2. "Thank you, Slave to the Wheek, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm new here, so forgive me if this is the wrong spot for this. But I have made a bedding "pad" from the fleece that is similar to cloth diapers. I use fleece as the top layer, then two layers of hemp terry in the middle, and one layer of PUL (waterproof fabric) on the bottom. I folded the fleece over the layers to the bottom, so it makes a frame on the bottom, about 1 inch on all sides. Then I just sewed all around the edge, and sewed a few stitches in the middle, as if I were quilting it, so it would hold its shape in the wash. I made two of these pads so I can swap them out. I vacuum the "beans" every day and have had no leakage through the pad, and no unpleasant smell.

Just FYI, I bought hemp terry rampants from The Snap Store for just $5/yard, and bought my PUL from Cloth Diaper Fabric, Diaper Patterns, Cloth Diaper Sewing, Sewing Cloth Diapers - Welcome for $6.95 yard.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love the idea to attach strings to the fleece to make something like a chair pad. I used sticky velcro attached to the floor bottom and also sewed to the fleece and this has been successful as well.

My piggies were notorious for pulling up the fleece and this solved that problem as well as being able to vacuum without fleece being sucked up.

Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EdisonMom View Post
    Just FYI, I bought hemp terry rampants from The Snap Store for just $5/yard, and bought my PUL from Cloth Diaper Fabric, Diaper Patterns, Cloth Diaper Sewing, Sewing Cloth Diapers - Welcome for $6.95 yard.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks
    Thanks
    178 Rec'd/87 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie GP Love View Post
    I love the idea to attach strings to the fleece to make something like a chair pad. I used sticky velcro attached to the floor bottom and also sewed to the fleece and this has been successful as well.

My piggies were notorious for pulling up the fleece and this solved that problem as well as being able to vacuum without fleece being sucked up.

I knew there was someone who used velcro! I wanted to try that. Is it possible to post a pic? I'm wondering how you attach the fleece, and still get the absorbant pad under it..?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/38 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slave to the Wheek View Post
    I knew there was someone who used velcro! I wanted to try that. Is it possible to post a pic? I'm wondering how you attach the fleece, and still get the absorbant pad under it..?

Velcro it to the sides rather than the bottom.

Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CavySpirit View Post
    Laura, would you mind if I turned your article on fleece into a page on the site?
    CavySpirit (Admin), could you include my information on Terry-fleece, if you choose to turn this info into a page? I've mentioned it several times on this site, but no one mentioned it here. It's worked 10 times better for me than the more-traditional fleece that was mentioned. I think it would be beneficial.

Just a suggestion.

Also, for great suggestions on how to stop the burrowing some people encounter, do a search! (You can search for people's old posts, right?) "Hansel" had a fantastic idea using PVC pipe... He/she even posted pictures of what he does, in detail. It's neat!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I actually have all of the material sewn together; fleece and padding. The whole thing is just one big quilt that easily pulls up right to the wash. The velco is underneath the quilt and on the coroplast that is directly on the bottom of the cage. It stays nice and flat, the piggies cant get underneath and vacuuming is a snap.

I'll try to get a pic soon.

Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love the picture!Don't you just love their little mouths!?!My guys 'popcorn'when I put clean fleece in their cages,too!I was using it before I read your tips just cause it was so soft & my guys seemed to love it,but your tips are great!I really loved the one about using a towel under it cause the towel absorbed everything and the fleece stayed dry.I had my doubts but it really works!That was one of my big problems!Everytime they took a drink,their water bottles dripped a little & in a few hours,a whole half of their cage was wet!Now all their little feet touch is warm,dry,soft fleece!(By the way,this whole site is fantastic!!I realize how much hard work you must put into it and believe me,it's really,really appreciated!I know that I can always count on you guys to answer any question I have!)

Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I actually have all of the material sewn together; fleece and padding. The whole thing is just one big quilt that easily pulls up right to the wash. The velco is underneath the quilt and on the coroplast that is directly on the bottom of the cage. It stays nice and flat, the piggies cant get underneath and vacuuming is a snap.

I'll try to get a pic soon.
    I love this idea!Sewing it all together into one big quilt!THANKS!

Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EdisonMom View Post
    Fantastic idea! Why didn't I think of diaper material? It seems so obvious!

Thank you!!!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    499 Rec'd/65 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I actually have all of the material sewn together; fleece and padding. The whole thing is just one big quilt that easily pulls up right to the wash.
    Me too. I have one layer of fleece sewn onto one layer of towel. It lasts over a week with no smells, is a breeze to vacuum, and takes half the time to pull out and to fit back in. It's also cut to the shape and size of my cages - pics are below.

Complete bottom level. Two large pieces of fleece.

Set for Charlie's Bachelor Pad.

Fitted in the cages.

And Tuppy looking every bit a princess on her fabulous new, fitted fleece.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[quote=cavy-cool-crazy;275197]Me too. I have one layer of fleece sewn onto one layer of towel. It lasts over a week with no smells, is a breeze to vacuum, and takes half the time to pull out and to fit back in. It's also cut to the shape and size of my cages - pics are below.

Thanks for starting this tread and all the helpful information. I love the pics. Tuppy is adorable. I did the same thing with soft toys on clips. We must be on the same wave-length.

One of these days I will figure out how to post my own pictures.

Love Ireland, wish I were there now.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is for Redefine: fleece is also called vellón in Spanish. :-)

Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have no ability to sew otherwise I'd love to make those fitted fleece beddings. Those look nice. So far we've done well with the fleece pinned down and towels. And hopefully tonight we get our washer and dryer we bought last weekend installed right so I can do laundry at home. Its too freakin cold out to go do laundry anyway.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I went to target and bought fleece blankets in the bady dept, I do not have a fabric store near by. DO you think this will work?

Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Should be fine, just remember to wash a few times so it whiks (sp?) the moisture through.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just switched today from aspen to fleece, I'm not to sure how clean up on the fleece will be but im already relieved that there will be no more shavings to be kicked over the c&c. I have the feeling no many how many times i sweep and mop ill still be finding wood bits from now until i move . Hurray for fleece

Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know what you mean!

Yes, hurray for fleece!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow! I am a first time piggie mommy! Actually they belong to my 2 daughters. This was very helpful to me as our funds are short. This sounds like the cheapest way around for bedding in the long run. Thank you soooo much for this thread!

User Tag List