Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece The Fleece Project: The Study

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Have you washed it in very hot water (90 degrees celsius or 194 degrees Fahrenheit) with detergent and bleach? Have you maybe used too much detergent? If you use too much or don’t wash it out properly, there is a residue of the detergent left on the fleece that prevents wicking from occurring.

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
I haven't actually used anything just hot water I put it on 60 degrees though... ill try that tonight as I need it for the cage next week! eek! lol thank you.
Im slightly worried putting bleach in will effect my clothes when I wash them?

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Bleach will not affect the fleece, as fleece is pretty much indestructible, apparently. Are you planning on putting clothes in with your guinea pig fleece (and the bleach)? I don’t, as my fleece is generally pretty disgusting after the guinea pigs have been on it for a week, and I have enough fleece for a full load. The bleach should wash out of your machine by the end of the fleece wash, before your next wash with clothes.

Can you do a stains wash? I struggled (completely failed) to get mine to wick when I was doing a 60 wash, but my Mum then found that we could put the stains wash on 90.

Brittany.

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure I'm about to do a trial run with fleece, so I just want to make sure I have this correct. I need to have a absorbent layer on the bottom. Such as a puppy pad and a towel. Then the fleece with a towel sewn in the middle of the fleece? I'm sorry if this seems like a silly question. I did read the first post. I just really want to make sure I have this right for my girls.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need an absorbent layer. It can be a puppy pad, wood pellets, a towel, a u-haul pad, anything that will absorb urine.

You need one layer of fleece over the top of it. That's it.

Brittany.

Cavy Slave
You need an absorbent layer. It can be a puppy pad, wood pellets, a towel, a u-haul pad, anything that will absorb urine.

You need one layer of fleece over the top of it. That's it.

okay, so I was about to do to much lol. Thank you! I'm so happy that I joined. Wish I would have before I even got my first pig.

wheeklink

Cavy Slave
I am actually looking to switch away from fleece (or at least, "all fleece") at the moment. It worked "okay". It wicked well and held up long enough before a full change, etc. But I have to use a laundromat (don't own my own washer and dryer) and live in an apartment, and it has been time-consuming and expensive to wash them. They are really bulky with the U-Haul blankets and in a busy month the laundry piles up and starts smelling if you don't keep on top of it (which I can't always do). We also have to worry about landlords fussing about mess and can't shake out the U-Hauls and fleece to get bits of stuff off them in a condo community where they "keep up the grounds". I want to recycle my fleece liners and U-Hauls into smaller pieces and use them as soakers in the cuddle cups instead, and use an organic bedding like hay/proper sort of shavings/proper sort of clean wood pellets from the local animal feed store for most of the cage. So I think fleece is great - but a lot of your choices for housing and bedding are going to depend on your personal circumstances. One thing that helped me hugely was getting the cages up off a low level and up to a much higher level, on top of a big long banquet table. With a chronic illness and bad knees, bending over all the time to clean out the cages was just killing me. This way they are at waist-height and I don't have to bend over. I also switched back to Midwest cages because they seem to hold together better (jointed more stably) and they make specific covers to fit (though I hate the swinging little hinges on those covers that are always catching). So I have not found my perfect solution yet for cavy care by ALL means, but all-fleece and C&C cages have not really worked well for me, after trying them for quite a number of months now.

Tribble Mom

Cavy Gazer
Awesome post on using fleece! Thank you. I hope it can help me keep up with those pees and poops!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Testing a post reply to an old thread.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.