Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece The Fleece Project: The Study

stacy97006

Cavy Slave
I do about 2 cups I buy it buy the gallon jug and for the cage I have it in a spray bottle half vinegar half water.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
I recently started using an absorbent fabric used for baby diapers to place under the fleece, and it's great. I always use about a cup of vinegar when washing and have absolutely no odor problems. (And if you live near an Ikea you can pick up fleece blankets at a fraction of the cost of fleece in the fabric store.)

stacy97006

Cavy Slave
Is the fleece at Ikea cheaper than JoAnns? Duh nevermind just reread the post and it is. :eek:

hermangp

Cavy Slave
I've just ordered something called Zorb II from a diaper store; is that what you are using? It wasn't cheap, so it would be great to know that it works well.

hermangp

Cavy Slave
Is anyone washing their fleece bedding in a European front loading washer (ours is an Asko)? It uses a lot less water than a top loader, and my biggest fear about switching to fleece is potentially wrecking my washing machine with the hair, hay etc.

AMP524

Cavy Slave
Well Thanks for the suggestions! Those do help!

AMP524

Cavy Slave
Also, I have a huge hair problem when it comes to fleece (my girls are Abbys and she'd like crazy). I use a rubber brush to get most of it and the hay off before washing it, but still have a ton of hair stuck to it even after washing the fleece and putting it in the dryer. I don't use dryer sheets because of what I read on here. Any suggestions?

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
I am using zorb. I think it's slightly less absorbant than zorb II, but also less expensive.

I have a Samsumg front loader and have had no problems. I shake the fleece outside before washing to get hay off. I DO need to clean out the rubber seal around the door after washing, because it seems to collect a bit of hay. I find my dryer catches the hair.

stacy97006

Cavy Slave
WHere did you purchase your Zorb II I am using uhaul pads but I might give it a try and see which I like better.

hermangp

Cavy Slave
Wazoodle.com. It has not arrived yet so I can't comment on their customer service. I also bought a barrier fabric for the bottom layer - I'm planning to sew fleece, zorb and barrier fabric together in that order.

AMP524

Cavy Slave
Well I live in an apartment and we have a top loader that came with it. And the dryer does not catch all the hair.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
This is exactly what I have... Fleece, zorb and PUL for barrier. I am waiting to see which side out on the barrier holds up better after long-term washing.

Wazoodle.com. It has not arrived yet so I can't comment on their customer service. I also bought a barrier fabric for the bottom layer - I'm planning to sew fleece, zorb and barrier fabric together in that order.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
What about running a lint roller over it after drying? Mine come out of the dryer perfectly clean, but my three piggies are all short hair.

Well I live in an apartment and we have a top loader that came with it. And the dryer does not catch all the hair.

stacy97006

Cavy Slave

Please post again on how well that works after you receive it.... Thanks!!

TuftynBugsy

Cavy Slave
Have recently converted to fleece after reading the pages here (as many as I could)

It's working great - I just use a towel folded into 4 and have stitched my fleece covers so that they have a letter box opening - I didn't want to join it all together to facilitate easier washing

I use those underwear laundry bags to wash fleece in so that if there is any stray hair or straw they stay in that rather than clog up the machine

just wanted to thank everybody here for the great advice I've read and I'm so glad I switched

the next stop is to get a c&c cage!

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Also, I have a huge hair problem when it comes to fleece (my girls are Abbys and she'd like crazy). I use a rubber brush to get most of it and the hay off before washing it, but still have a ton of hair stuck to it even after washing the fleece and putting it in the dryer. I don't use dryer sheets because of what I read on here. Any suggestions?

We run a long strip of duct tape (or masking tape in a pinch) over the fleece. Lightly enough that it doesn't get stuck on but firmly enough that it picks up the hair and random stuff. It works well although if you have a superwet patch you have to do it more. I think the lint roller concept is basically the same as masking tape. Duct tape seems to be more adhesive.

Nicholle

Cavy Slave
I've actually been planning on heading over to a fabric store this weekend to buy some fleece for the fist time! I'm using the recycled Carefresh right now, and it stains everything in the cage, smells yucky, and the brown color makes the cage look dirty all the time to me. I also don't like that my pigs are trekking around in it, and have been contemplating fleece for a while.

Question: what sort of vacuum should be used? I was thinking about getting a dustbuster-type (dirt devil has some new, sleek models that are actually sort of attractive), but I'm not sure if the suction would be enough (not buying a $1500 vacuum, thank you very much, Dyson!) to grab poopies off of fleece. Any insights on that account?

And I thanked you for the post already, but I want to thank you again, you've answered a lot of questions already! And the pig you show at the beginning is adorable.

For the vacuum question i use a cheap vacuum becuase I personally wouldnt waste alot of money on a poop picker upper :) I found a 10 dollar one and it works perfect to my liking. One thing to look for is a detachable tube. Because if you suck up have or you get some bedding it gets clogged. So if your tube detaches it makes life much easier :) Good luck

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Do you guys find that a little handheld vacuum works okay without clogging? I tend to have a lot of hay floating around, so I typically shake the fleece a tad to move droppings and hay toward the center, then use a tiny wisk broom and pan to pick it up. I assume you empty the vacuum everytime you clean? Just wondering if that would make cleaning easier or not. Opinions?

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
how do you vacume the guinea pig pellets? when i do it the fleece goes up into the vacume.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.