Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece The Fleece Project: The Study

wheekypigs

Cavy Slave
Personally, I don't know if fleece is such an economical choice for me anymore because 1. I have trouble keeping myself from buying new fleece because they always come up with such adorable patterns, and also I'm forever changing my cage configurations (frivolous, but no less true :p) and more seriously ~~

2. I have to change the fleece every 4 days because my piggies are not exactly the neatest with their potty habits, and I use the coin-operated washer and dryer in the building.

I use batting and towels under the fleece and they start to smell pretty quick, sometimes within the day. I might try experimenting with mattress pads next (more expense). The shavings don't smell that quick, require less frequent upkeep (no daily poop-scooping, and no laundry, and no hair and hay dust shaken all over the place during changing), and I figured, will cost me less (I get the shavings pretty cheap from a feed store).

I still put in two litter boxes to encourage them to poop and pee in and to hold the hay, although the hubby insists on putting hay in front of Mousey wherever she lays (because she's old and the hubby is worried she won't eat), so there's hay everywhere on the fleece - try poop-scooping from that or vacuuming poop and hay.

It helps a lot if you have neat piggies that do their business in the litter boxes or a specific spot only, then the fleece is just pure joy to use - much less maintenance.

This is part venting, and part just sharing an experience on how the fleece is working out for me. This is not meant to discourage anyone from using fleece, but just to acknowledge some difficulties and different realities that can occur - initially or otherwise. I use fleece because I read here that most piggies like it, and it's true, my piggies really popcorned when they first got the fleece, and still do sometimes when they come into a freshly changed cage. I believe they are more comfortable on the fleece.

I will keep using fleece, and my goal now is to find a way to eliminate the odour building up so quickly.

And I still want to thank the people on this thread for providing all the useful information on fleece :)

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
Wheekypigs,
I can so identify with you.
I love the patterns, I love that it's so comfy for the pigs, and especially that they don't get any bits of loose bedding caught up in their rears (boys).
I love that when you pick up the pigs to snuggle they smell nice, not like shavings or carefresh.

BUT, there are some cons too. I can't seem to keep the fleece/towels in the cage for as long as others say. Usually it's once a day that I end up changing because of the pee smell. Maybe my boys are just big drinkers.
I do use a litter box, and that helps a lot as they'll pee in there as well.

Then they also mark (drag behind) on the fleece and stink up the place with boar butt lol. They can't do that as well on other beddings.

Currently I'm trying out the horse wood pellet bedding. It lasts about 3 days before I have to do a complete change out. Otherwise I scoop the corners each day. It does break down and turn into tiny bits of bedding, which seems to make me and the pigs itch . I am not sure I'll be sticking with it once the bag is gone. It is a really good price, $6 for 40lbs, which lasts about 8 cage changes (2x5).

I like the carefresh even better but the cost is high considering it takes about half of a large bag to cover the cage bottom.

So I struggle with the convenience of pellet/carefresh bedding, but the comfort of fleece...

kala83

Cavy Slave
I would really love to try this with my cage but I do have my doughts that my girls wil not destroy it....any time I have ever put anything down around the they always try and try to rip through and it always gets holes in it. So I think with my new cage I am still going to be using just aspen bedding....unless you all have some sugesstions on how I can try this out with out getting things torn to shreds.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
With the recent cage change, I've noticed that with just three pigs and my current litter area. The smell is almost unnoticible until about two days before I clean up. However, with the cooler weather now they aren't drinking as much water.

MotherofGambit

Cavy Slave
I love your post. I have allergies and my piggies pine bedding is aggravating them and my asthma...oh and he has some sniffling. I think he doesn't like the bedding either! So I am thinking of going the fleece route. He already likes to snuggle in my fleece jammies and he only 'goes' in one corner...so I feel confident that it won't be too bad! :)

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
I'm a fairly new cavy owner of 2 and 1/2 years. I'm tired of having to hear my dad complain about how expensive Carefree bedding is.

(I'm also surprised that almost EVERYONE knows what 'Carefree' is. I never knew the popularity! I thought I was the only one buying it.)

I usually make him buy it every 2-3 weeks. My mom suggested alternative bedding (like fleece) but I never listened to her until now. Now, I know she wasn't just making crazy guesses. Fabric bedding really DOES seem easy and affordable. And thank-you to "Fashion Victim" for suggesting WalGreens to buy the fleece. I was going crazy for a moment wondering where to buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:

pupsandpigs

Cavy Slave
I love my fleece. It is so much easier cleaning up than shavings and carefresh

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
I have a question. Is there a certain type of 100% polyester fleece that you shouldn't use? I bought some 2x2 foot fleece's to line my piggy's cage and it was soaking wet by the second day. I washed it about twice because I thought one wash wouldn't make a difference. I used newspaper under the fleece, and that was soaked too. We also don't have hot water or a washing machine to wash the fleece with. We just handwash and line-dry. Please help. o_O

Am I possibly using the wrong fleece or doing it wrong? What If I put towels under the fleece? Will the fleece on top still be as wet? I'm so confused.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Haha this is awesome! Good job! Thanks very much for the study, as you can see, it's definetly not being under appreciated!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I have a question. Is there a certain type of 100% polyester fleece that you shouldn't use? I bought some 2x2 foot fleece's to line my piggy's cage and it was soaking wet by the second day. I washed it about twice because I thought one wash wouldn't make a difference. I used newspaper under the fleece, and that was soaked too. We also don't have hot water or a washing machine to wash the fleece with. We just handwash and line-dry. Please help. o_O

Am I possibly using the wrong fleece or doing it wrong? What If I put towels under the fleece? Will the fleece on top still be as wet? I'm so confused.

Microplush fleece. I recently asked if it is okay and it's not. I just found out we have a blanket that is microplush fleece and tested it and it doesn't work. I don't know why else it wouldn't be working, though.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
How can I tell if my fleece is MicroPlush or not?

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Microplush is really really soft and plush, unlike other fleece, which is soft, but not plush. If you can, go to a fabric store, or store that has it to see the difference, I can't explain it very well.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks. I'll have to get to a fabric store, then.

vecr81

Cavy Slave
I have been having the harest time trying to get my fleece to wick! I've washed it 4 times each with either vinegar or bleach in the wash or dry cycle. I was starting to get frustrated because by now I have four different pieces of fleece and none of them seemed to be working! The whole time I had been trying to get tap water to wick through. Well, on a whim, I tried some Listerine, just because and it went right through! So am I not supposed to use water?

pupsandpigs

Cavy Slave
I have been having the harest time trying to get my fleece to wick! I've washed it 4 times each with either vinegar or bleach in the wash or dry cycle. I was starting to get frustrated because by now I have four different pieces of fleece and none of them seemed to be working! The whole time I had been trying to get tap water to wick through. Well, on a whim, I tried some Listerine, just because and it went right through! So am I not supposed to use water?

The fleece takes a while to whick the first couple of times your piggie urinates on it. I stuck Ella in her cage with beautiful light blue fleece and she urinated right away. The fleece took a good ten minutes to whick, but it did. Just give it some time and it will work.

april07

Cavy Slave
I would "thank" you...but I'm not a cavy slave yet. This guide was great though! I already use fleece, but some of your tips will help greatly. :cheerful:

Me too. I am so grateful that I found this site and able to understand more about guinea pig's need and things to be prepare before getting them.

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
We are at the end of our first week of using the fleece. Wow!! I was changing out the fleece and wondering why at the same time. It didn't smell at all, and the only thing that was wet was the kitchen area where I use carefresh. I am so glad that I decided to give this a try. It is alot cheaper in the long run. Well if I could quit finding fleece that I just have to have it would be. HaHa! Thank you so much for sharing the whole fleece thing with everyone! My piggies want to say thank you as well! Ya'll are wonderful!

Bubbles & Pinky

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for this great information. We were using aspin bedding and just not totally satisfied. I was so happy to come across this information about fleece. We went out yesterday and found fleece on sale!! Its been washed and dried 3 times and I just finished putting the piggies clean cage together. I can't wait to see how it works for us this week. Thank You!

theresaj

Cavy Slave
I found this thread very helpful and am going to be preparing my own fleece project very soon. :)

claire

Cavy Slave
My boys have been on fleece for 2 weeks now and it's made my life so much easier. They have 2 kitchen areas with bedding and hay and seem to be keeping their business mainly confined there. I do find a damp pee spot maybe every day or so in various areas of the cage (it'd be much easier on checking and cleaning if they kept it to one area but maybe that's asking too much of their little bladders) but it doesn't seem to smell and it's only by actually feeling the towel underneath that I even know it's happened. I can't say it's the fleece that has made them so happy as they moved into a C&C at the same time, but the combination has definitely made them more active and confident. It means I can happily chuckle at their 'zoomies' without inwardly thinking about getting the vacuum cleaner out. So we're happy all round in my house and it's all thanks to finding this site within days of getting my piggies. I can't thank you enough.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.