Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Can I feed Canned or Frozen Veggies?

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Re: Scientific evidence concerning frozen veggies

The bigger question to me than if it's possible (anything's possible) is whether there's a reason to be doing it. I can't see one. I don't know why I'd want to feed the guys something that was of less nutritional value than fresh, and even if the nutritional dropoff wasn't large, which I can't guarantee, I don't know why my guys would want to eat, say, an uncooked defrosted slice of pepper. I certainly wouldn't find it appealing, even though I would like them raw and fresh.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Re: Scientific evidence concerning frozen veggies

I would agree on the frozen/canned food veggies stuff. I give my kids and guinea pigs frozen/canned veggies about 1-2 times a month if that only if I dont have a variety of food for them to eat. My guinea pigs and kids do prefer the fresh of course and about 99.5% of their meals they do get fresh but if all I have in my fridge/freezer is that (because its been a busy week job searching) I will throw them a handful until I can get to the store that day or the next. I am also very careful about getting the organic and/or NO sodium, NO sugar, NO preservatives stuff as well.

Last edited:

AmandaErlandson

Cavy Slave
What about foods that I grew myself in my completely organic garden and then canned myself? Are they safe?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Don't you have to cook them to can them? If so, then no you can't feed canned goods to pigs. They need fresh, raw veggies only.

sunshine
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I feed my pigs frozen veggies as a treat to tide them over for when im out of lettuce and stuff for them..And maybe a little bit to stop them begging every time i rustle a bag. obviously they couldnt take the place of fresh veggies though.. but as a treat they are fine.

Feeding a GP frozen veggies can cause severe gastro intestinal upset which can have grave consequences. Your advice could cause severe illness, even death, in someone else's pet. Frozen veggies are not acceptable.

distancel

Cavy Slave
It really is a shame that they aren't okay to use though hehe. I have to buy a variety of fresh veges every 3 days or so for the piggers. Seriously, I spend more on food for them than I do on food for me. The problem is I can only buy small amounts of each thing so it is still fresh when they get it, so I'm at the shops every few days buying one or two of everything. I wonder if the shop people think I am strange :)

clikits99

Cavy Slave
I have a bag of carrots that I give to Blackberry ( Only 1 a day ) and we keep them In the refrigrator are they still ok if I let the carrot get room tempiture before giving it to her?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Refrigerated veggies are fine. You do not need to let them come to room temperature. Keeping veggies cool keeps them fresh without changing their cellular structure.

clikits99

Cavy Slave
oooh ok good to know that! :D

Cogni

Cavy Slave
I understand what you are saying but my piggies have never choked on them. How do i get them to eat just the pellets:?:

You get them to eat just the pellets by giving them plain pellets, not pellets with seeds and grains and colored 'cookies'.

Your argument 'but my piggies have never choked on them' is not a good one. Any animal or child that chokes to death on some small item they shouldn't have been given (because through others' experience it is known as a choking hazard), never choked to death before on it. Choking on small things the size of a child or animal's windpipe is a risk, not a 100% certainty . If you keep exposing your piggie to the risk, it could happen one of these days.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Flash frozen vegetables are fine for people; we cook food and get our fiber in other ways besides the cellulose in the cell walls.

Piggies get all their fiber from fresh foods. Insoluble fiber from hay and grass, which they need a lot of, and soluble and some insoluble fiber from fresh veggies, which they eat a smaller amount of.

Have you ever had a frozen and thawed salad? Freezing, like cooking, breaks down the fiber -the cell walls are actually exploded by ice crystals-- and not only taste but the function of the fiber in the GI tract is affected greatly. For a tiny GI tract that depends on the intact fiber of raw foods to make it function properly, giving frozen veg is going to pose GI problems, if they eat it at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.