Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any other Germans?

Hi, are there any other Germans around ??

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sannie
    I've never been to Germany but I know I am half German (my mother is German, my father is 1/2 Polish 1/2 italian)

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpup28
    I've never been to Germany but I know I am half German (my mother is German, my father is 1/2 Polish 1/2 italian)
    Well, partly German at leat :-)
    I don't have any piggies yet either... when are you planning to get some?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Well, partly German at least :-)
    I don't have any piggies yet either... when are you planning to get some?
    ChadWPB posted a website on page two of the thread "Is it really bad to get a guinea pig from a petstore?" Its a shelter in Durham, CT that is only a hour and a half drive away from where I live! I checked it out and found a pair of cavies that I fell in love with. I'm going to e-mail the shelter and ask about their adoption!

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Kpup28,

that's awesome! Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Which pigs, kpup?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hershey and Reeses

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cute piggies! Hershey's going to have long hair like my Amee. He's going to need plenty of grooming and butt baths. Good luck!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Any other Germans?

I'm not German but do live in Germany.

I think our guinea pigs, meerschwein in German, speak German because they don't whistle like my guinea pig did in the US.

I've been looking for cloroplast here but can't even find a sign shop. If the airlines will transport a sheet at a reasonable price, I'll buy some in the US when we go 'home' for Christmas. Or, we could drive to England and buy a sheet. Of course, it makes an expensive cage when we add in travel, crossing the channel, and hotel.

Does anyone have any other ideas for a cage bottom besides linoleum?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_boys
    I'm not German but do live in Germany.

I think our guinea pigs, meerschwein in German, speak German because they don't whistle like my guinea pig did in the US.

I've been looking for cloroplast here but can't even find a sign shop. If the airlines will transport a sheet at a reasonable price, I'll buy some in the US when we go 'home' for Christmas. Or, we could drive to England and buy a sheet. Of course, it makes an expensive cage when we add in travel, crossing the channel, and hotel.

Does anyone have any other ideas for a cage bottom besides linoleum?
    Some people use this with rabbits that are little box trained "Foam Board" usually sold at a local craft store. You would have line the cage with newpaper everytime you changed the cage and eventually have to get new "Foam Boards" every three months or so.
    Or use plastic under the bed storage containers, and have like three sitting right next to each other. They make pretty big ones, just yeterday I saw one that was 20 in wide x 40 in long. They aren't very good substitutes to coroplast but they may work.

If you were to use under the bed storage containers you could cut holes in them so the pigs could pass from one storage container to the next.

*Just a note* all of my piggs live in C&C cages so don't freak out and think that I keep them in petstore cages or plastic storage containers.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=cinn&sprinslave]Some people use this with rabbits that are little box trained "Foam Board" usually sold at a local craft store. You would have line the cage with newpaper everytime you changed the cage and eventually have to get new "Foam Boards" every three months or so.
    Or use plastic under the bed storage containers, and have like three sitting right next to each other. They make pretty big ones, just yeterday I saw one that was 20 in wide x 40 in long. They aren't very good substitutes to coroplast but they may work.

If you were to use under the bed storage containers you could cut holes in them so the pigs could pass from one storage container to the next.

*Just a note* all of my piggs live in C&C cages so don't freak out and think that I keep them in petstore cages or plastic storage containers.[/QUOTE

Oh and the storage containers I saw were only 6 in. high not those ones that are like 20in high.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Re: Any other Germans?

I've been browsing through this forum for a couple of weeks and finally decided to register. So yes, I'm German, and I'm here.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi,

I'm also a German. I life near Stuttgart.
    Yesterday I found this forum and logged in.
    I have 6 male guniea pigs at the moment... ;-)

PS: Sorry... I have to improve my english. Sorry for any mistakes... ;-)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Guten Tag!

I am not German, but I spent 2 weeks in southern Germany last fall. My husband and I loved it so much! We started out in Munich's Oktoberfest, then travelled by train and spent a few days in the Black Forest, then to Rothenburg, then Berchtesgaden, then a few days at Salzburg Austria, finally ending up in beautiful Mittenwald. Bavaria and the Black Forest/Rhine River area were incredible! And everyone was so nice to us over there. We want to go back so bad, but the plane tickets cost so much. Hopefully in 5-10 years we will be able to afford it again.

We wanted to give our new guinea pigs German names, but our kids wouldn't let us. They are still not happy that we left them for 2 weeks, although they were spoiled rotten by their grandmother.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

*L* Looks like you really saw all the good places in the south. I personally hate the Oktoberfest but the Black Forest and Rothenburg and Berchtesgaden are really beautiful places. I'm glad you liked it, and that you were made welcome.

What kind of German names would you have chosen?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This may be a little random, but I'm learning to speak German. Does that count?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Definitely. *G*

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wooh! im a member of the german club now YAY

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Teria
    *L* Looks like you really saw all the good places in the south. I personally hate the Oktoberfest but the Black Forest and Rothenburg and Berchtesgaden are really beautiful places. I'm glad you liked it, and that you were made welcome.

What kind of German names would you have chosen?
    Well, we probably would have named them after places we saw and stayed at because most of the people we got to know were women (we have 4 male guineas). The only man we really got to know well was named Max. He and his wife, Gudrun, live in Titisee. Where do you live, Teria? Are guinea pigs popular in Germany? The only place we stayed at that had pets was in Titisee and they had goats (the "lawn mowers").

A lot of Germans we spoke to were not big fans of the Oktoberfest, or at least they tried to avoid it. We enjoyed the beer there, but didn't have too much because we wanted to see more of Munich that evening, and it's pretty hard to see Munich when your eyes won't focus.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So true. *G*

I live near Bonn, in a very small village where it's nice and quiet. We have a huge garden, and I'm very much looking forward to introducing my two piggies to REAL grass in the spring.

Guinea pigs are quite popular here. I'm a member of three GP Forums, and we have many rescuers and an immense number of piggy pages on the Internet. I've spent the last three weeks by checking one site after another for a third piggy to adopt - or so was my pretense while happily watching hundreds of cute photos. *G*

And I'm really glad that these sites exist. I bought my first GP way back in 1986 when I moved to Bonn (named him Beethoven of course), and I would have needed some good advice. As it was, I think he could have been happier if I had only known more about guinea pigs. You simply don't find all the necessary information in the books - at least you didn't find it there in 1986. I made several stupid mistakes. But Ioved him dearly, and I still miss him.

The best photo I have is this:

It doesn't show much of him though.

Here's another one:

He's trying to seduce little Attila whom I had bought as a friend for him. Sadly, the romance didn't work, mainly because they were both males.

Right now, I'm considering travelling to Kiel to see if I can buy C&C cubes there.
    Last edited by Teria; 01-26-05 at 02:46 am.

User Tag List