0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Hello from Jodie Faster and her new friend

Hi everybody,

My name is GwennaŽlle and I have two female guinea pigs. The first one's name is Jodie Faster (she is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast) and the second one is "the new one" so far.

The first one was bought in a pet store. France is not big on guinea pigs and it is like almost impossible to find one another way. We have no rescue center or shelter for them and breeders are very few. After learning more and understanding better what these pets were about I thought it was an emergency to get another one so I looked really hard to find someone to who I could go to to buy one. And guess what...I did find one. So.....the one we are still calling "the new one" has been bought just yesterday. I swear not to EVER buy a pet (but a fish) in a pet store. I just cannot believe all the things I learned from this man in 40 minutes and how much he seemed to care for his animals. The good news is that if I ever hear that someone needs a guinea pig I will know where to send this person.

I am going to need your help to know more about "the new one" I think she is a teddy but I am not sure. I don't even know where to post a pic for you to help me but I guess I will find.

Just tell me if I did not say enough about me in my introduction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/2 Posts

Re: Hello from Jodie Faster and her new friend

First off, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, it is ridiculous to say that 'it is almost impossible to find a GP another way' you only need to go onto something like Vivastreet.fr to find loads of guinea pigs needing good homes all over the country. As soon as I started looking for a couple of pigs to adopt, I had offers all over the place - if hubby would have let me I would have started my own rescue there and then, I had to make a choice and I chose Jack and Tyler, my 2 beautiful boys.

Also, I am presuming you got your pig from a breeder? This will be frowned upon too on this site, we do not agree with breeding at all. Therefore, please don't suggest to any new french members we may have in the future to go to him.

We do not support any buying from a petshop, be it animals (yes fish are animals too) or supplies, you can get your supplies from places such as Gamm Vert, or even better order over the internet.

Something that is true is that the french are not at all clued up on guinea pig care, I have not yet come accross one french site that gives correct advice - so well done to you for finding this site, lets hope you can help me spread the word of true decent piggie care here in France.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/2 Posts

Oh yeah, and I can't just think in which department (I can find out if you are interested or know people who may be interested) but I do know that there is currently one of the many SPAs holding 43 pigs right now. It is true that not all refuges take small animals, but the bigger ones certainly do.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I don't have a car to drive where I want to, if there is actually a SPA that rescues guinea pigs it is certainly not close to where I live. But maybe what you meant is that you wanted to give me ride?

When I typed "cochon d'inde" on google it took me two weeks to find a serious site about adds concerning guinea pigs. I did not know about Vivastreet.fr but thank you. Yet I haven't seen "a lot of" add about guinea pigs, just one that you might appreciate . . .

I have found this site but it took time before there was something reachable (and of course now that I have "the new one" there are tones of them! when there were none before!).
    . . .
    there are even people who give out there guinea pig (just in case someone is interested). It covers France as well as Belgium.

And you assumed wrong. I think Jodie came from a breeder. Now that I know a little more I realize that she (and the other BABIES there) where not contest material and this is why there were sold to this pet store. Talking to the man I realized that Jodie WAS NOT as old as I thought and that she must have been separated from her mother before time. Probably one of these idiot who wanted to keep all the mother's attention for his potentially prize winners and got ridd of the others. But this man is not a breeder, he has just a tone of animals (and have spaces to have more but he is smart enough not too) and cares for them. Why assuming that if someone is not on this forum this person must be evil and breed them like crazy just for the fun of it?

Thanks for your welcome anyway
    Last edited by Percy's Mom; 09-19-06 at 06:38 am. Reason: Links to French classifieds sites for buying/selling animals removed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/2 Posts

If he breeds them he is in effect a breeder.

Doing a search on cochon d'inde or cobaye etc you come accross loads of rubbish unhelpful sites. If you do a search on cochon d'inde ŗ adopter you find loads!!!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Ok I get your point but then what about all the people here having guinea pigs for adoption because their female had babies?

And yes, you may get loads of add about GP for adoption but I am sorry not to have the time nor the money to take a train for a 1000 km trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/2 Posts

A lot of the people whose females are having 'unwanted' babies are the people who have bought their guinea pigs in pet shops, either buying an already pregnant female, or accidently buying a male and female pair. Hence why we should never buy from petshops - of course along with all the other reasons.

These unwanted babies of course should get adopted out to good homes, and under no circumstances get given back to the petshops.

If you do not have the time nor the mmoney to take that trip, I do hope you will have the time and money to get sick pigs to the vet!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Is spending 120Ä enough? because this is what I spent this summer for Pitt who died unfortunately. It it enough justification? Do I need to lick your shoes also?

How much pride does it take to think that you know all of a person and of the people she meets just by reading one post?

Adieu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    347 Rec'd/254 Posts

There are several things that need to be brought to light here.

1)Do not post sites without staff approval unless they are in English, so all members will understand them and they are obviously NOT pro-breeding. The sites you posted were translated and found to be classified ads for breeders and people looking to purchase their stock. Therefore, the links to the sites were removed.
    2)If spending 120 Euros is enough for you, that's fine. For many people, it wouldn't have even been the tip of the iceberg for what they would have done for a sick pig. The amount that you spend on your animals varies from person to person and situation to situation, but does that justify buying another animal and adding to animal overpopulation? No, it does not.
    3)No one thinks they know all of you or the people you meet. You might very well be a lovely person. If you would read the forum rules and philosophies though, you'd realize that everything Lucy was not judging you but defending those principles to try and help you understand what we stand for. Please take a few minutes to read these in http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ost-first.html. You'll find not only forum rules and why we are against breeding and buying from breeders or stores, but other information to make your guinea pigs' lives as pleasant as possible.

User Tag List