Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n I Need Help Going Vegetarian.

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
I really, really want to become a vegetarian. I've pretty much stopped eating beef. I want to stop eating chicken and pork; fish is something I sort of need. I know this has been asked many times, but I need help with all of this. My parents don't really support me trying to become a vegetarian, or a lot of things I do. (Like getting a C&C cage or using fleece instead of pine shavings in Sammy and Fuzzie's cage.) I need help with dealing with them, too.

I am about to read the thread with tips on going vegetarian, but I really need advice on this. Some of my online friends are vegetarian, and I need to ask them about it as well. I need support... It's a bit tempting to eat beef when you've gone without it for so long.

I highly doubt my parents would buy the soy milk and all the vegetarian foodstuffs.

Support the teenage Goth-type girl in going vegetarian! :p

pigger

Cavy Slave
this this website. And really look around it. They have tips on going out to eat as a vegetarian (well, this is more vegan based) but check it out. I love their food pyramid, it makes me hungry. VegSource.com

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
JSR, just a quick question: is there a medical reason why you need fish? If you don't want to explain you don't have to. But if you continue to eat fish you'll be a pescetarian not a vegetarian. If there is a medical reason, is there any alternatives? Can you talk to your doctor about it? As a mother of 14 fish, I know they feel fear, pain and sadness. Also, fish farm as some of the most environmentally destroying animal industries out there.

GoVeg.com // Pledge 2B Veg!
(broken link removed)

Just food for thought so to speak.

Now, on with the support! I think it's wonderful that you are taking steps to have a more cruelty free life style. I am a college student, so I don't have to deal with my parents buying my food. But I do know what it is like to lack support. That is why this forum is so great. As far as getting a hold of veggie food, perhaps you can offer to do extra chores for the "privilege" of being allowed vegetarian items in the house?

What I suggest about the family support is this: ask your parents to sit down and talk with you. Ask them to please hear you out without interrupting. After you finish they can ask any questions they like. Then state calmly that you have done a lot of research into this lifestyle choice and you feel the need to at least try it. You are doing this for your own personal reasons (if you feel like listing them you may). Explain that you will make sure that your diet is healthy and well balanced. State that your diet choice will not be a burden on them (this would be a good time to suggest the extra chores), and that you are willing to cook your own food. If your family is big on family meals, explain that you can pre-prepare your food and then heat it up when it is time to eat together. You can still eat with your family. Also reassure them that you will not pressure them into changing their diets. (I find it best to lead by example anyway. When people see you doing this, it will make a bigger impression on them then you lecturing them). If your family gets heated easily and you do not think you can get through your speech uninterrupted, then I suggest writing it out and handing it out.

Congrats on your decision to better your life and save animals lives.

evilnumberlady

Cavy Slave
If you're old enough that you can have or already have your own job, you could buy the extra things you need to have a balanced diet. Like, eat the vegetables, fruit, and grain your parents buy and then buy your own tofu, meat substitutes and nuts, ect.

I don't know how much your parents can really complain if you're buying it yourself.

Clover Cavy

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean about the parents, but mine finally laid off after they realized I was serious about it.
Quiting meat has been pretty easy for me (even though I did used to eat alot of it) but avoiding it is a totally different matter. What helps me is to stop and think before I eat. Picture every item of food and what's in it, think of what seasonings are in it (beef or chicken bouillon) and it helps alot. Then you can avoid things more easily. And alot of it comes down to the good ole' JUST SAY NO!
You have joined the ranks, Much Luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.