Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why won't my new piggies eat veggies?

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why won't my new piggies eat veggies?

Hi All,

My two new piggies (Lowell and Shadow) don't seem to have any interest in eating veggies. I give them carrots and romaine lettuce, and all they do is sniff at it. They are only 4 months old, and probably didn't get any veggies at the pet store, so I understand it's new to them. However, they LOVE their pellets, hay, and "alfa-bits". I also put vitamin C in their water daily. Does anyone know what I can do to get them to eat veggies? Sometimes they'll eat the carrots if they are cut up & mixed in with their food. My friend has a guinea pig who yanks carrots right out of your hand (granted he is older than ours), so this was a surprise!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Why won't my new piggies eat veggies?

Well right there is your problem. First, you got the pig from the petstore which 99% of petstores do NOT give vegetables. You should have adopted from a rescue. There are many pigs needing homes.
    Who knows how long the pig has been in the petstore and the pig probably has never seen vegetables in its life. Just keep trying to offer vegetables, they will eventually eat them.

As for the vitamin C in the water, NO. Do NOT put anything in their water, some will refuse to drink and besides the vitamin C will not be of any help. Give about a cup full of vegetables a day and you can even give 25 mg, GNC 100 mg chewable tablets cut into 1/4.

What kind of cage do you have the pig in? Do you plan on getting another guinea pig so they will have a friend to communicate with?

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have two already, Lowell and Shadow as stated above. They are 4 months old, so they are young.

Newcastle (Term Time), Sheffield (Holidays), UK
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They probebly just arn't used to the veg. Carry on with it and it'll sink in eventually. Don't put the vit c drops in the water. Vit c dissolves when light gets to it so by the time your pigs drink it there isn't any of the molecules left anyway and it makes the water taste weird to the pig. What kind of cage are they in?

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My advice is just to keep trying. My piggy was actually afraid of vegtables when I first got her (she was terrified of the watermelon I tried to give her the first couple days). Don't force them to eat, rather, just leave one type of veggie in their normal food dish and that may help them get the idea that this funny green thing is food and that their supposed to eat it. Don't be alarmed if they don't eat it right away. Try a little every day and slowly introduce different foods. I used this methind with my pig and now she has no problem ith veggies. Best of luck with the new piggies!

Thanks
    Thanks
    347 Rec'd/254 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is going to seem silly, but try eating with your pigs. When you take each of them out for laptime, bring a piece of lettuce, or a strip of bell pepper or carrot with you and nibble it right in front of them. Take a little bite, make contented piggy type noises and then rub the veggies against their mouths. They might not realize that the veggies are safe to eat.

Off topic, but don't be surprised if you see a bit of tussling and fighting between your boys. They're both at the prime age to be hitting puberty, and hormones will be flying.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Try tomato or cantalope or watermelon. That is the first thing my pigs ate.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Whenever I get a new pig, they do not eat veggies right away. Only one pig I had actualy ate right away, and her name was "Chub" if that helps explain anything, haha

I'd say just be patient. Just keep giving it to them daily and encouraging them.... they will eat eventualy

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,432 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

The trick is to introduce new veggies slowly and leave it in the cage for a few hours. It may take days or weeks for the pig to actually try them. Try something different than carrot but keep the lettuce daily. Try either bell pepper or cilantro. Then every 3-4 days add another little piece of something. Carrots should be fed no more than 1 baby carrot daily. But you can give several strips of bell pepper and several stalks of cilantro once your pigs decide veggies are yummy. And as PM said you may have to eat some in front of them to show them it's ok.

Until you can get your pig to eat more veggies, get rid of the Vit. C in the water and get a plain chewable 100mg Vitamin C tablet from a health food store and give each pig half a tablet per day.

By alfa-bits what do you mean? And what brand of pellets are you feeding? Are they plain pellets or a pellet mix?

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, I have a bag of alfalfa hay, called "alfa-bits" by the brand L/M Animal Farm (same for the pellets too, they are vitamin-C enriched classic blend pellets)...they love the alfalfa!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    5,432 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thank you for clarifying what alfa-bits are Lowell. See I learned something new today! I'm always open to education.

Thanks
    Thanks
    5,432 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I had to go hunt the info down on the L/M Animal Farm classic blend pellets because I just couldn't remember if they were decent or not. Here are the results. Everything in bold is really bad.

Ingredients:
    Wheat middlings, dehydrated alfalfa meal, soybean hulls, dehulled soybean meal, corn meal, cane molasses, limestone, dicalcium phosphate, hydrolyzed animal and vegetable fat, lignin sulfonate, iodized salt, vitamin E supplement, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K), vitamin C supplement, niacin, riboflavin, choline chloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, yucca schidigera extract, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation extract, dried aspergillus niger fermentation extract, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, saccaromyces cerevisiae, ethoxyquin (a preservative).

Those are just the really bad ingredients. Also L/M is owned by Hartz. You would do your pigs a big service if you got them a better brand of pellets.

Please read this thread from Guinealynx on how to recognize quality pellets and what to avoid in pellets. Guinea Lynx :: Pellets

Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Limestone?! In food?

Thanks
    Thanks
    5,432 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

It's made by Hartz in all reality, what do you expect for ingredients in Hartz food?

Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Geez, anything to save money.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What kind of pellets would you recommend? I am a first-time guinea pig owner, so I don't really know too much yet! But they need to have the best food possible, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanks
    347 Rec'd/254 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rather than type all of this over again, I'll give you the brief answer and then a link to where I answered this in more detail. You want to look for alfalfa pellets for the next couple of months and then timothy pellets after that from Oxbow, Kleenmama, or Mazuri 5664.
    http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/234474-post7.html

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone know about Supa Guinea excel? It was sole by our vets who see a lot of guinea pigs so we assumed it is ok. Anyone know about them?

Thanks
    Thanks
    347 Rec'd/254 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Supa Guinea Excel is addressed on page 2 of the guinealynx link posted earlier in this thread.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sometimes they need to see another pig eat vegetables of that type before they will try it. When I got my first pig he would eat carrots but just sniffed and ignored romaine. My second pig ate romaine from the beginning, and when my first saw him eating the romaine, suddenly he decided he liked it to.

User Tag List