Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Neutering your male pig

hammy

Cavy Slave
I'm just wondering how many people have neutered their male pigs. I have a male that I want to get neutered so that he can live with my other females. But, my husband is worrying about how it will "change" him. Maybe it's a "guy thing". So, for anyone who has neutered their male pigs, have you had any problems with them afterwards or did it change their personalities or anything strange that may have happened. My husband is also concerned that what if the surgery isn't done right and the females still end up pregnant. I told him I've never heard of that before, but I suppose anything is possible. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
I got my male , Dexter, neutered 2 1/2 weeks ago and he was fine. When you get him neutered you still need to keep him seperated from your girls because he could still get them pregnant, up until 3 weeks after getting neutered!
https://cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm has lots of good information about neutering.
Dexter still likes his ladies so I don't think neutering took that away from him. :rolleyes:

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Neutering is in general a risky procedure, but as long as you have an experinced vet, the odds are very good. Like dexter said, he needs to be seperated from the girls for 3 weeks to kill of any sperm that are still left. It will be quite hard to go through the surgery and have him still be intact since they take out everything that "makes him a man." As for how it will "change" him, he will never know the difference. He will just think he's in heaven, not knowing he can't be a daddy.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Neutering will not change him at all, generally. Hobo is neutered, and in with two spayed females, and still spends a huge portion of his day trying to mate with them, despite the fact that they're ALL sterile. They don't know the difference after they're neutered.

hammy

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for all the information. I'm also wondering, after the surgery is there sutures that they will have to go back and remove. Did Hobo or Dexter seem like that had any pain?

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I've got a nuetered male, and believe me, he still tries! I doubt they even notice after awhile that there, uhh, missing certain body parts.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
When surgery is performed the testes are removed (unlike human vasectomies were the tubes are cut or tied) so there should be no pregnancies if the 3 week quarantine is followed.

Like Jenni's, my neutered boar couldn't care less that he's neutered. He still tries it on with the laydeez regardless. The girls generally object to his advances, however!

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Hobo didn't seem to be in any pain, but he was also on a pain medication. Our vet feels like it's really important because if they're in pain, they don't eat, if they don't eat, they get sick, they don't heal well, etc. He also insists on antibiotics to try and cut back on abscesses in the area.

The first night home he was really groggy and almost drunken acting. The next morning I woke up and he was rumblestrutting at the girls through his quarantine cage bars. ;)

I don't know if every vet does it differently, but Hobo didn't have sutures. They used some type of surgical glue. The incision had nearly completely healed after about 10 days, but he also had to have an abscess removed, and then part of his testicle stump was poking out of the incision, so we had to take him back in for that. He seems to be having a problem with the particular type of suture he used, since he's switched since then, so I don't know how normal those types of reactions are.

It was very stressful to me, but I'd also been dealing with Hobo's sickness for about two months at that point. He had a testicular tumor that we didn't find until it got quite large (since I'm not in the habit of checking for lumps in his testicles), and had problems with stasis, anorexia, and pain while peeing. It was a relief, but I kept thinking that such a 'quick' fix was too good to be true.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I've had two male pigs neutered, both by the same vet. Both neuters were fine but one did not take well to it. Spencer was up about a couple of hours after surgery; he was pop corning the next day and was back to his normal self. After 4weeks of rest I let him in with the girls, he is still happily living with one.

Now my other neuter did not go well. The vet had a problem closing up the wound so Brownie decided to open it up and cause himself a severe infection. His wound went septic, he basically got blood poisoning. I had to force feed him for almost 2months, he had a cone on his head and he became severely depressed. He also lost just over half his body weight, at one point I even thought he was going to die. Then as he was just sitting around all day he got bumble foot, so he had to go antibiotics for that too!

All neuters carry a risk, most go fine but you need to be prepared for what could happen.

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
Dexter did seem to be in pain but I had a dud vet that wouldn't give me pain meds or antibiotics. Dexter did perk up or the 3rd day after laying low for the first 2 days.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Jackie got a little calmer after neutering. But he was excessively horny and obnoxious before neutering, so I think he may have had some kind of hormonal problem. Now he's a little calmer and more reasonable with the girls.

Definitely get pain meds. And bed him on towels and change them at least once if not twice a day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.