Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I got a new guinea pig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Sure you save that one pig. But what about the pig they replace it with, then another one, then another and another and another. It's a viscious cycle. By buying, it's just the same as walking into a pet shop and saying "What are you doing! That's no way to treat any animal! They are all sick, pregnant and in extremely small cages. Ok here's $30, keep up the good work."

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
The petstores I have gotten my guinea pigs from in the past have always given a first year plan sort of thing where they pay for the first 2 vet visits in the first year you have the pig. You might want to see if the pet store you got yours at offers something like that.

pamziaw

Cavy Slave
That is good of them, no disputing that however the issue is by buying the pig from the store you are supporting the breeders and breeding of pigs which is only out to make money and the pigs welfare is not the no 1 priority, profit is! You may say that it isn't but consider this, if that pet store got into financial difficulty and they could no longer make ends meet they would shut down. Rescues cannot make ends meet on a daily basis so rely on donations and adoption of pigs to keep afloat. Rescues are organisations designed to save and help animals, pet stores are BUSINESSES! They are not too fussed with the welfare of animals as the priority in any store is a profit margin. Its a cruel system and this website is to make people aware of this. Please make your choice and choose to stand against this system,

rockyshero
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I'd like to add: Pet Stores are INCREASING all around the world. Yes this is a bad thing. But then it is good becsuse if we dident have a pet store then all of the Animal Shelters would be full and would highly be OVER POPULATED. And if they are over popu;ated that means many animal deaths. Do you get my point? She was thinking when she bought her Piggie from a petstore. She just dident no it. The only way to SAVE an animal is to care for it no matter what. What she is doing no would be caring for it. And if your calling her a bad Irresponsable pet owner then look the around becasue not everyone can take there pet's to the vet. Let me ask you this: YOUR SENIOR: You are a pet owner of one Femal and one Male Guinea Pig. One day the two got toegher and the Female became pregent. During her pregency she started bleeding. So one day you took her to your vet. ( say the bills around $400.00) ( that is an acctuall estimated vet bill for a simple examination) so the vet says she's fine . Then a week later, you notice her bleeding again, so you take her to the vet. There goe's another $400.00. The vet is un-sure what her casue of bleeding is. So he gives you some meddicen that cost roughely around ($30.00 A WEEK) (Another REAL estimate) so ladeda. The follwoing week her medice doesnt seem to work and you take her back to the vet. ($400.00) He still doent no. He referes you to the IM speacilest/ He or She cost $750.00 WHAT NOW?>
I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make here. You think it is a good thing that there are pet stores because without them animal shelters would be overpopulated?

Where are you getting your information problem? Nothing could be further from the truth. Pet stores that sell animals are DIRECTLY responsible for the overpopulation of animals in animal shelters. Pet stores aren't solving a proble or preventing a problem; they are CAUSING and CONTRIBUTING to an already existing over population problem.

Please do a search on the forum and read through some threads dealing with pet stores. I think you need more information before you post on this subject again.

Please also moderate your language.

In regards to your statement on how not everyone can take their pet to the vet, I have no idea what would make you state something like that. If someone can't take his animal to the vet, then he shouldn't have an animal in the first place. Veterinary care is an important part of animal ownership.

In the scenerio you provided, you shouldn't have put your male and female guinea pig together in the first place. The drama you describe is all of your own making, due to your breeding. I think, in your situation, you have an obligation to cough up the money some how. You should have thought things like through before mating your guinea pigs. But now that you are in that situation, you need to take responsibility for your actions, work out a payment plan with your vet and get another job, if you have to.

rockyshero

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I rarely make public warnings anymore but in your case I feel it's warranted.

1) Learn how to post properly and spell correctly.
2) Watch your language.
3) Stop with the attitude.

Just because your father is a vet does not mean he knows more than we do. He may, he may not. But that is being rather arrogant to say that because he is a vet that he is right and we are wrong.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Okay One: I no the information as my father is a vet and is sitting here right now reading this. He is a vet to one of the top Clinics in the State of Colorado. I think he noes a little more than you do. Seconed of all, you don't even read the whole thing. It's NOT my senior it's just something that happens. It's the truth deal with it. Three: You say that pet stores are being over populated. yes that is true but if there wernt pet stores then many more of these animals would die. Fourth: You no how many people out there don't even no about Shellters. So do not sit back and say that that is there problem. If people really wanted to get animals saved then you know and I no that there would be a heck of a lot more being done about this. Fifth: Everytime you were sick and had a cought or the flu as a childed, did you go to the hospital everytime you were sick? My guess is NO. Don't even try and say you did. Well since that's the case maybe your parents shouldent of kept you. It's the same gosh dang thins as owning a pet. You want to debate on this. BRING IT ON.

Bring it on? Bring it on? You've got to be kidding, right?

Point one - no, I would not expect your father to know more about this just because he's a vet. (And whether or not he's actually a vet is totally debateable; it's very easy to claim things like that over the internet when there's no way to prove something.) A lot of vets have either minimal to no knowledge about small animals like guinea pigs. And, unfortunately, a lot of vets remain totally - and unbelievably - unknowledgeable about the plight of animal overpopulation. Why else would they help contribute to it by doing procedures like the artifical insemination of pure bred dogs?

Point 2 - Yes, I did read all of your post, as un-intelligible as it was. You didn't specific that the pigs in your scenerio weren't yours. You said YOUR SENIOR. I'm supposed to magically know what that means?

Point 3 - I never said pet stores are being overpopulated. Perhaps you need to re-read MY post. I said pet stores are contributing to the ALREADY EXISTING overpopulation problem of animals. Do you not know that millions of animals are euthanized (which means killed, in case you don't know) simply because there aren't enough homes? I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

Pet stores BREED more animals. Pet stores encourage breeding by BUYING more animals from breeders. They create more and more animals to sell and make profit off of. Meanwhile, the animals ALREADY in existence languish in animal shelters, hoping and praying every day for a home, and praying that they aren't going to be KILLED just because a kid decided to buy a cute little baby from a pet store rather than adopting an animal already in existence.

Point 4 -
You no how many people out there don't even no about Shellters. So do not sit back and say that that is there problem.
This makes absolutely no sense. Of course there are lots of people out there that don't know about animal shelters. That's why sites like this - which promote RESCUE vs. purchase from a pet store are so important. Of course I'm going to sit back and say there is a problem - THERE IS A PROBLEM. If you don't see it, you're either blind, incredibly naive, or just not that smart ... or possibly some combination of the 3.

Point 5 - The issue of taking a child to the doctor and owning a pet is actually more alike than you could possibly realize. If a child is sick, especially with the flu, then they ABSOLUTELY need to go to the doctor. If their parents can't manage to get them medical care, then I'm of the opinion that their parents don't need to have children. It's the same with pets - if you can't afford to get them medical care, especially in the SERIOUS situation you described, then you shouldn't have pets. Period. No room for discussion.

If *YOU* want to debate this, please work on your logic. Please also make an attempt to spell things correctly and to use correct grammar and punctuation. Being able to read and understand your posts would go along way to helping your side of the debate.

Now it's your turn - BRING IT ON! I suspect you'll have the whole forum "bringing it on" for you in a few moments.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Three: You say that pet stores are being over populated. yes that is true but if there wernt pet stores then many more of these animals would die.

Can you please explain the logic behind this statement to us? How could more animals possibly die WITHOUT petstores? Petstores are the CAUSE of many uneccessary deaths. They breed more pigs, every time someone buys a pig from the, they go to their breeder and get another. Every time you buy a pig from a pet store, you could have adopted a homeless shelter pig - who will probably be euthanized instead. Without petstores there would be fewer pigs, AND fewer pigs dying.

You no how many people out there don't even no about Shellters. So do not sit back and say that that is there problem. If people really wanted to get animals saved then you know and I no that there would be a heck of a lot more being done about this.
Open your eyes! Look where you are! This site is run by a RESCUE. You really have some nerve walking into a RESCUE site and announcing that there is no overpopulation prolem just because you say so. Last March there were 5000 homeless guinea pigs on petfinder.com. Tell me that's not a problem? Unfortunately because of ignorant people who think like this, NOT ENOUGH is being done. Not because we don't want more to be done, but because rescues do not receive enough donations, recuers often pay for their pigs out of pocket, there are just not enough resources or people willing to put the effort into it. Just because your are ignorant to something, that doesn;t mean it isn;t there. Look around. Read about all the homeless pigs. Here: https://www.cavyspirit.com/hollister.htm or here: https://www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm. I relly hope you don't bother posting again until you have read and understood that.

Oh, and FYI, the word is 'KNOW'. You'd think if you veterinarian father was actually standing there reading over your shoulder, he might correct your blatant spelling errors.

rockyshero

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
I no the information as my father is a vet and is sitting here right now reading this. He is a vet to one of the top Clinics in the State of Colorado. I think he noes a little more than you do.
What does your father being a vet have to do with petstores and rescues, and is your father an exotic vet.

It's NOT my senior it's just something that happens.
I think you mean scenario.

If people really wanted to get animals saved then you know and I no that there would be a heck of a lot more being done about this.
They are, people like T, who start anti-breeding pro-adoption forums and websites like this.

(I would write more but Susan got most of it.)

rockyshero

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
The spelling, it's just becasue I'm a fast typer so get used to it.
I don't think so. Good spelling and legible posts are part of the rules on this forum. If you cannot obey the forum rules then you will end up getting infrations which can ultimately result in your banning. So either you start making more legible posts so we can understand what you are actually saying or we mods start issuing impactions/infractions for failure to do so. That's the way it is around here so you need to get with our program.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The spelling, it's just becasue I'm a fast typer so get used to it.
Absolutely not. There are posting rules on this forum. Your horrible spelling errors make most of your posts completely illegible without reading them 3 or 4 times.
rockyshero said:
Lets make this a fun debate for all of our viewers that are stuck and don't no what to do. Do we have a deal?
There is nothing fun about being rude, disrespectful, and deliberately not following forum rules just because you are a "fast typer".

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Rockyshero,

I just completed 6 years of college 3 of which I had my own classes to teach. I would have been shocked and appalled to receive an assignment or e-mail from any of my students written in the manner of any of your posts in this thread. I encourage you to work on your typing skills. Fast isn't better if you are giving off an impression like the one you are currently. When you get out of college you are going to need writing skills along with whatever career path you choose, start now and it'll be easier on you. Best of luck.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
"The spelling, it's just becasue I'm a fast typer so get used to it."

Being a fast typer doesn't mean squat if what you are typing is gibberish and unreadable.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Please let us mods deal with his posting illegibly.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Yes that is true, But then how many people know about these fourms and post? Not as many as you think. Right?
A) This is not the only forum/website that is pro-rescue.
B) I know plenty of people who take horrible care of their guinea pigs but still adopted. My Step-cousins grandma adopted a guinea pig and stuck it in a cage with a pigloo that takes up half the cage(not an exaggeration)feeds no veggies or hay, just pellets and occasion, maybe once month or so, veggie and fruit. She obviously knows nothing about guinea pigs, but she did adopt him and a month later she adopted another, soo obviously people know more than you think.

P.S. I can's spell at all, but I used the spell check and fixed my 5 or so mistakes.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Rocky was banned for an ugly post we will not approve. It was full of racial slurs and vulgarity. The show is over please move along folks. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

Shera

Cavy Slave
Sorry, withdrawing my post. I didn't see that it was closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.