Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I got a new guinea pig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
(before I found this forum I thought all PETA people did that on Saturday nights for fun!).

Friday nights, too, Other PM. And holidays. :)

Jackrungh, I think your idea, while good in theory, is too simplistic in nature and fails to consider how expensive it is to properly maintain a guinea pig. Most rescues can't afford to undercut a breeder's fee, so doing adoptions from a rescue out of a store as part of the store's revenue would probably cost both store and rescue much more than any benefit they receive.

That's why I think the main goal should be to totally remove small animals from stores, period. If people want to adopt, they should have no other choice than to turn to a rescue or shelter because animals just aren't available in pet stores. That's the goal I'm working towards - no animals in pet stores at all.

Once that goal has been achieved, then it might be feasible to start bringing adoptions into the store.

Also, if you don't want people to become irritated with you (or inflammatory, whatever) then I'd steer clear of using the terms "moron" and "moronic" to describe any animal rights activist or activist organization.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
... so doing adoptions from a rescue out of a store as part of the store's revenue would probably cost both store and rescue much more than any benefit they receive.

That's why I think the main goal should be to totally remove small animals from stores, period.

Being a rescue and having done and continue to do adoptions out of stores (that do not sell animals) occassionally and other places, I can tell you that your idea is simply not a sustainable nor a repeatable model. Especially in the case of guinea pigs.

More later...

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Lets be real about something. When does someone who has never owned a guinea pig, and perhaps never owned a pet say to themselves, "Ah yes, I feel like I would like a guinea pig in my life. Let me consult the nearest Cavy rescue center." The answer is never.

A non-owner doesnt know there is an issue with Cavys, doesnt know they are called "Cavys", and doesnt know about the breeding mills and overpopulation.
I for one are one of those first time cavy owners who did my research first prior to adopting my first two a few months ago. Two, I did know they were called cavys, and found out more in my research.
No, I did not realize how serious the over population problem was with piggies too, but I am glad I learned and was able to do something to help prior to getting my girls. I was aware of breeding mills for many animals. I have 6 adopted dogs as well and 3 adopted cats. I was happier than anything to find this site and broaden my education. I have seen others do the same as I and learn about adoption for piggies. I have also been able to share with others and encourage the same thing. Another thing I was able to do was further educate my children on the importance of adoption for animals. I am very proud to be the way I am and proud to save the lives of so many animals in my life.
My dad has told me as long as I can remember, you have to take one step up the ladder at a time. If you take too many you are more likely to stumble. One step at a time builds a stronger foundation to build upon. This site and others like it are taking one step at a time. There is a lot of power out there getting the non breeding message to many animal lovers out there. Reform can start with one person and grow to many. It happens all the time.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Pet stores buy from breeders because breeders can provide cutesy wootsy widdle babies. Shelter pigs are usually a year or two old, after people get tired of the pig and dump it. Adult pigs aren't so cute, so they won't pull people in to the pet store to buy overpriced junk from the pet stores.

cavymad_n_GA

Cavy Slave
Aside from the "moron" thing, I think that jackrungh made some good points. While what this person is suggesting might only be possible in the most ideal of circumstances, I would argue that doing away with all small animals available in pet shops is as well. I have read things on this site and others that helped me make the decision to swear off pet stores, but the last time I was in one (several months ago) they had rabbits available. In addition, every spring (here anyway) every shop that could conceivably have a small animal license sells rabbits.

What seems to be overlooked (and was mentioned by jackrungh) is the general public's perception of small animals versus the perception of dogs and cats. Though it is not right, few people outside the rescue/animal rights/well-educated cavy owner world look at cavies as anything more than cute, disposable things. Heck, many books sold as "how to" books for cavy care portray them as just that.

I teach school, and I have pictures of many of my guys on my door. I spent a few minutes the first couple of days talking to my students about the nature and proper care of cavies. Even after several minutes of discussion, I had one student (high school) say, You're talking about rats, right?" There are people who would not dream of dumping a dog or cat that would have no same compunction about a cavy, rat, hamster, etc. At the moment, they simply do not enjoy the same beloved pet status that felines and canines do.

The day may never come that pet shops run as rescues, but sadly, I do not believe the day will come either when pet shops do not sell small animals at all. If you are talking about sustainable models, look at selling larger animals like dogs and cats versus small ones like GP: 1.the initial cost of a dog or cat from a breeder is much higher, 2. the upkeep (even with crappy food and poor conditions) is much higher on larger animals, 3. what to do with a cat or dog once it is no longer a cute baby? If a guinea pig doesn't sell, it can cheaply be gotten rid of as snake food.

Please don't misunderstand me, I applaud the efforts that were made to get dogs/cats out of pet shops (and the efforts that are being made for small animals), but I think we'd be kidding ourselves if we just assumed it was simply a matter of protests. If we go back to the argument that pet stores only look at the bottom line, I'm afraid that we must conclude that change came about, partly, due to dollars and cents;it simply got too expensive to offer dogs and cats for sale.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Dollars and cents may be a part of the change for dogs and cats not being sold in so many pet stores any longer, but I strongly believe education had a big part in it too. Recognizing there is an overpopulation issue and what we can do about it. The recognition did not come from just the smart executives ahead of the pet stores making a decision that dogs and cats are too expensive to keep in our stores. It came from public concern, who may be activists, protesters, people voicing their opinion or a combination of it all. If we all shut up and give up on educating people about small animals as well as all animals, more and more people will be more likely to continue the overpopulation issue than people who would not.

I_Want_A_Piggy

Cavy Slave
Well to me it seems you should have atleast waited intill you had the money to take her to the vet before you got her, because you knew she could be pregnant. Think about it this way, you are the guinea pig and you could be pregnant. But your owner will not take you to the vet to see and maybe get help with it. What are you, the guinea pig, going to do? It is not your fault you got a bad owner who will not take you to the vet, what if you have other problems your owner can't see, and because your owner never got the money to take you to the vet you die because you had so many problems you tried to hide and all the poor little baby guinea pigs died too. If you think about it like that then you should see you should have waited intill you got the money (if you did) then got her if you got the money. So what if you don't get the money next month will you still not take her to the vet and let her possiblly die?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I Want, you are talking to a banned person. She can't reply.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Being a rescue and having done and continue to do adoptions out of stores (that do not sell animals) occassionally and other places, I can tell you that your idea is simply not a sustainable nor a repeatable model. Especially in the case of guinea pigs.

More later...

I don't quite understand - since it was my quote in your post :) - are you saying that it's not sustainable/repeatable to have no small animals in pet stores? Why not? I frequent many animal free pet stores down here.

Though it is not right, few people outside the rescue/animal rights/well-educated cavy owner world look at cavies as anything more than cute, disposable things. Heck, many books sold as "how to" books for cavy care portray them as just that.

Personally, I think the fact that pet stores sell these rodents is part of what de-values them for other people. People see them in pet stores and think, geez, they're always available and they're cheap, so why should I care too much about them? This, to me, is where education plays a very important role. Educate people that animals have no place in pet stores, boycott the stores that sell animals, and create a sense of value towards rodents that people didn't have before.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I was responding to your quote which originally included his quote.

To elucidate, way back when, in my more 'outside looking in' neophyte days, I also used to think that hey, just cut out the middleman, so to speak. Have the shelters/ rescues do adoptions at the stores.

What is not sustainable or repeatable is having rescues work out of the stores. Of course, I agree, no small animals in stores, period.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Ah, gotcha. :)

guineapet

Cavy Slave
Why are most people being so cruel, I don't try to be rude or anything, she came here for help, but All I see is criticize, personally, I think every pet deserve to be with a owner, I don't care if it a pet at the pet shop or anywhere. I did not read all the replies, but there is someone said pet store have no reason to sell pets, what right do anyone can say that, I mean it's not illegal or anything. People would having problem getting a pet at a pet store if there isn't any, I mean some people want to raise a pet and give it a good home, they have to drive 1 to 2 hours or even mroe just to get a pet. And now I just have to say that. I know that there is thousand of guinea pig that doesn't have a home. But that doesn't mean that eveyone want a pet have to adopt and not buy one. I'm not buying a pet at a pet store becuase that it's true there is thousand pet that need a home. I mean i could just go out and buy a pet at the petstore near me, but i didn't I've been searching for a quite a time just to adopt one. Personally i think buying a pet store is also helping a pet, The store sell a whole bunch of guinea pig in a little cage. buying one is also helping the guinea pet.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
I was sitting here tonight during a rainy storm, with my piggies during their floor time. I was thinking... why is it so hard for people to see the bigger picture of the issues about purchasing pets from petstores? I still have not figured it out. But to think optimistically, I thought maybe these ignorant people are speaking to others about how they feel outside of here and some of those other people ponder the issue and figure out this really is a problem. And then they continue to share with others out there. So, in large the truth would still prevail. It may be a long shot, but it could happen.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I was thinking... why is it so hard for people to see the bigger picture of the issues about purchasing pets from petstores?

Same here. If you really care so much about animals, why doom more animals to a horrible fate? It's more of a selfish thinking.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Yes Fourbwabbys, I think you hit it...it is for pure selfish reasons to go to a petstore and purchase animals...AFTER you know better.
UGH!!!!

Josie's Mom

Cavy Slave
Why didn't anybody tell her to call up her vet anyway and see if they could work out a payment plan?

I_Want_A_Piggy

Cavy Slave
I Want, you are talking to a banned person. She can't reply.
Yes I know, but I still like to express my feelings. Lol.

meandanimals
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Meandanimals pet stores see their animals as merchandise and if you buy their "merchandise" they will restock them but if you don't buy then they will see they are losing money and stop selling them. It would be nice if they helped out the shelters but they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.