Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I got a new guinea pig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mini'smama

Cavy Slave
" What's a pet stare? Is it when your guinea pig looks something like this :eye-poppi ? "

Hehe...good one.

C&K

Cavy Slave
You cannot accept that no matter what any of you do, the pet stares are still going to sell guinea pigs one way or another and you cannot just ACCEPT THAT!

I know that when I was a little girl, all petstores where I lived sold dogs and cats. Now, only a handful sell cats, and it is more of a rehoming service for accidental litters. Only one sells dogs . (Petland, ugh)

I know that 1/2 the stores sell small animals, because people still think it is acceptable, they don't know about the mills, the homeless small animal problem, the risks to the mothers. When I talk to people on the street, they are shocked and appaulled. Many say they will never buy from a store again, or will look at the shelters and petfinder first! With time, and education, why can't it change for small animals too?

I refuse to accept that it cannot!

mini'smama

Cavy Slave
"...Also yes I did make up the part about bills LOL I just want to make a point that my family is on a tight budget at the moment and nobody would believe a [teenager]. But i truly do not think my mother will agree to take her to the vet..."

If your family is on such a tight budget, then why did you take on the responsibility of a potentially pregnant animal? YOUR poor judgement could very well cause negative results for this guinea pig that you claim to love.

Last edited by a moderator:

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
mini'smama said:
"...Also yes I did make up the part about bills LOL I just want to make a point that my family is on a tight budget at the moment and nobody would believe a [teenager]. But i truly do not think my mother will agree to take her to the vet..."

If your family is on such a tight budget, then why did you take on the responsibility of a potentially pregnant animal? YOUR poor judgement could very well cause negative results for this guinea pig that you claim to love.

I agree... and I still would like to know why your parents would pay for the dog at the vet and not the guinea pig.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Also yes I did make up the part about bills LOL I just want to make a point that my family is on a tight budget at the moment and nobody would believe a XX year old. But i truly do not think my mother will agree to take her to the vet.

You are allowed to love the pig. This is a mistake that many people on this forum have made, buying a petstore pig to save it. It is a noble thing to do in a way, but terribly misguided. I just hope you can see that, by buying her, you release the mess the store got themselves into, AND you are putting another sow at risk breeding to replace this pig.

If petstores could not sell their livestock, they would stop ordering more, the mills would have no call to breed more. That is a plain truth.

What is done is done. Now the work begins. Your pig at the very very least needs to be treated with Ivermectin (and you other pig and a good idea to treat your friends pigs, (don't worry, a bottle of Ivermectin goes a long long way!) I would not recommend Revolution for a pregnant sow. Advantage does nothing for mites. DO NOT EVER EVEN THINK ABOUT USING AN INSECTICIDAL SHAMPOO or SPRAY!!!! that could kill your pig right there and then!

You have a lot of reading to do, and notes to take. Start with the newbies thread here:
NEWBIES- Please Read This Post FIRST!!!

And this thread:
Common Misconceptions about Guinea Pigs and their Care

Then you can move on to GL
www.guinealynx.info

They have a care guide, and a medical guide. Also a medical reference section.

Under the reproduction link for GL, is also a links section, this will give you great advise in spotting a potential problem, and in preventing Toxima.

Toxemia is a condition that kills sows. If they get it, there is very little that can be done for them. The best course of action, is to try and help prevent it from happening in the first place. The articles on GL suspect it is caused by stress, poor diet and lack of hygiene. SO you want to keep these three things in good balance. That is why you need to house her properly, feed her right, and keep her in a clean cage. Also heat and a lack of air seems to worsen or cause the condition. Generally all Toxemia is, is a build up of toxins in the pig, because they cannot effectivly eliminate them fast enough, similar to a human with bad kidneys.

If would highly suggest you stop making arguements, and excuses, and start reading. As you read, if you have questions, ask us, we will be more then willing to help if you if you drop the hostilities!

C&K

Cavy Slave
Just so you don't miss these pages in particular (GL can be a little overwhelming to the new person)

https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html
this one has info on mites, and links to treatment. (using Ivermectin)

https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html
This link is a bout Ivermectin

https://www.guinealynx.info/dose_calculator.html
This is a dose calculator, perfect if you don't trust your math!

Remember with mites, they may not be obvious, but stress brings them out, treating them as a preventative measure is always a good idea, even if they don't have them!

https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html
This is a copy of the reproduction thread again.

To the left, you will see these links:
dt.gif
FAQ
dt.gif
Labor
dt.gif
Ovarian Cysts
dt.gif
Links

Make sure you read them over too!

The links one has the info I was talking about in working to reduce the risk of Toxima. FAQ will answer a lot of your basic questions.
I would set aside an hour to two hours every day until you catch this all up. Also make a contingency plan for if your sow has problems with the babies. Start looking for a good vet now, find out what the fees are if you need his services, who you can go to in the middle of the night etc.

https://www.guinealynx.info/vet.html
This is good info for finding a vet.

This is a lot of responsibility for a person of your age to be taking on, but I am sure if you take the time to do your research, you will get through it. Lets just hope if she is pregnant, that everything goes really well!

jackie158

Cavy Slave
I live in New Jersey an hour from New York. There are a ton of piggy shelters out here. The one that has allot right now is Have a Heart Guinea Pig. I could have easily driven a guniea pig to you. You can see there pigs in Petfinder. Also, did you ever look into The Pig Pen Rescue or Redwood Rescue? These both are in NY. And Have a Heart here in NJ is not that far either. I understand it is hard not to take a pig from a pets store, but I have to agree with everyone else, there are lots of prego pigs in shelters that need a forever home also.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I agree. Have-A-Heart is overflowing with pigs that need new homes. You could have easily set up a piggy train, there are a lot of people in this area that would have been glad to help transport.

GadgetGirl

Cavy Slave
JamANDSlop said:
You people totally don't understand that petstore workers love animals and try to do their best always and sometimes they may goof up or whatever but thats because they are humans.

I understand that petstore workers love animals and try to do their best and I also understand that they goof up. What this tells me is that they shouldn't sell the animals for 1. They have no clue, 2. There are rescues that have piggies that need homes and 3. When they make these goof ups, there's a possibility that a piggie may die. I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

Just loving the animals and trying to do their best is not good enough. It will never be good enough. Before I knew better, I bought a piggie from PetSmart and I thought she was sick and took her back to the store, one of those petstore workers told me she was fine and I took her home. She ultimately died and I feel bad because I believed what they told me and I shouldn't have. I will never buy from a petstore again. They don't know anything about what they say and this is very misleading. I get so steamed when people aren't honest.:mad:

I have learned so much from this site about the rescues I didn't realize were out there. If everyone paid attention and opened their minds to this knowledge, there would be more animals in forever homes instead of shelters or euthenasia (sp.)

GadgetGirl the piggie lover:love:

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
You people totally don't understand that petstore workers love animals and try to do their best always and sometimes they may goof up or whatever but thats because they are humans.

Oh sure they love the animals. You know those sick and dying animals that the pet stores don't do anything for. Or maybe they get thrown in the freezer *Sorry guys*, they sit behind the scenes where you can't see them, and sit in a tiny box, or cage if they are lucky breathing their last painful breaths alone because they had to be born into a world where they were put up for money. Do those dead or dying animals even get a chance at life, I mean clearly pet stores wouldn't be bothered to get a vet for an animal they only make a few dollars off of. You assume they care, but you said that your wife had seen animals die, did she help put them out of their misery too?

What's even more sickening, it all out of convenience, you wont rescue an 'older' guinea pig from a shelter, but you'll fork out money to pay the pet store, are you even aware that the shelters have baby guinea pigs too?, cause I mean not every person like you that gets a pregnant guinea pig, can 'love' them enough to keep the babies too. Chances are when you realise how difficult it is to house them in a small pet store cage, they will meet the doom of a shelter, only there I hope they meet caring people like us who pick them up and love them, and give them a real home where we really do care.

You know, I hope your truly happy with your pet store pig, your ignorance just shows how much you really know. Thank goodness that people like us, can make up for your lack of understanding. Way to go everyone.

Coopdog

Cavy Slave
JamandSlop, if you are talking about the Lollypop Farm in upstate NY, they have FIVE guinea pigs right now, and their other outlet has SIX. They get them in ALL THE TIME.

fadedcoat

Cavy Slave
I think it would be a nice compromise if the pet stores would host guinea pigs in need of homes instead of buying from a breeder. Sort of a pet store/rescue. Like how Petsmarts have a place for shelter cats to be seen there. They are noticed by a larger audience with more convenient hours, therefore more likely to find a home. I think rescue guinea pigs would fare well this way because they are cute at any age.

Coopdog

Cavy Slave
Actually, our shelter's alternate site is inside a very large PetSmart. Those are the only animals they carry. Everything from dogs & cats to rats, birds, guinea pigs...you name it. Even the occasional horse! It is a wonderful service, and the proceeds go back to the shelter. I got a Finch there for $5.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Yes and the same arguement can be made that people will buy all their pet apparell there that day for their new adopted pet and the money that you just spent on items will go to Petsmart buying more small animals for retail sale. That only works if you just adopt the animal from the shelter that is using the store for a host location-then you leave.

Coopdog

Cavy Slave
I still think PetSmart deserves some credit for taking steps in the right direction. More and more of them are doing adoptions, which is definately a good thing. As the saying goes: Rome wasn't built in a day.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Petsmart does it to draw in revenue from the adoptees. I give them no credit-they wouldn't do it if they were not generating income. That being said I do not blame the shelters for using them as a host. Many people know of the store locations.

Coopdog

Cavy Slave
Of course they do it to generate income. That's what businesses do. However, several years ago, they would have carried nothing but purchased animals. You never saw a pet store doing adoptions. And like I said before, this particular branch only carries adoptables. I find that commendable. For every pet they adopt out from their store, it means one less animal coming from a breeder. As more and more stores follow that trend, more and more animals will be saved. And I do see a trend, at least with PetSmart, toward that goal. So yes, I do give them credit for starting to do the right thing.

I guess I just prefer to see the glass as half full.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Or through rose colored glasses. Where do you think they are spending their revenue-but on small living animals that they are selling in their stores. I won't repeat myself because I already stated above all this. It all depends on the consumer. If they adopt the animal and leave then wonderful. From your defensive tone I take it you bought or still buy supplies there. If you are then you are supporting commercializtion sales of small animals in a indirect way. If you don't and you don't supports others doing the same then we are on the same page.

C&K

Cavy Slave
My local Petsmart does dog and cat adoptions only. All their small animals are from mills, on the sales floor, and supposed to be males.

If your local petsmart does not sell any animals for profit, and only does adoptions, then I think that they are worthy of support! Just that location though, afterall, if corporate sees it can work, then more stores may swing that way! I am sure our local shelter would love it if the Petsmart would also support adoptions of buns and pigs and rats too! And not undermine them with the sale of fresh "stock".

I will not support my Petsmart until such time as they support my cities small animals! Perhaps I shall fire them off a letter askng them to do just that!

Then again, their food sucks, and they are overpriced, so maybe I would not buy anything there! lol But, I would not be so hostile towards them anymore!

Last edited:

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I would support any store that only does adoptions. Me and my husband are working toward opening a pet supply store that works with the humane society and local rescues to do the same thing. But I will not support any store that only goes half way. Petsmarts in my area adopts out Cats and Dogs but buying from them support buying from small animal breeders. If they make the complete switch I would love to shop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.