Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I got a new guinea pig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Well it's actually a lose-lose scenario. I adopt from a rescue-- a GP in a petstore is put to sleep. I buy from a petstore-- a GP at a rescue is put to sleep.

Since when has a pet store cared enough to put one to sleep? Let alone pay the money to do it?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
JamANDSlop said:
Well it's actually a lose-lose scenario.
Sure is Ty'sPigs. Yup, we know it's you.

You and your alter ego are about to be banned. All you had to do was behave. I guess that was a little too hard.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
JamANDSlop said:
Well it's actually a lose-lose scenario. I adopt from a rescue-- a GP in a petstore is put to sleep. I buy from a petstore-- a GP at a rescue is put to sleep.

And I'm sorry if i want to take the easy way out and buy one from a petstore (that needs a home as much as one from a rescue) instead of spending over 100 dollars in gas to drive to some distant rescue.

Put a rope around my neck and hang me why dont ya.

You have missed the point completely. Are you going to "rescue" every poor guinea pig you see in a pet shop? Because you can bet your life that the money you give to the pet store will be used to buy another two "poor" guinea pigs, and another two, and so on.

I'm wondering also if you and Carmella are the same person... :confused:

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
If everyone adopted from rescues then the guinea pigs at petstores would be put to sleep and guinea pigs would seize to exist.

Lame, lame, lame argument. Guinea pigs will hardly *cease* to exist if they are not purchased from pet stores.

Buying from petstores isnt promoting breeding

On the contrary, buying for pet stores DIRECTLY promotes breeding. Where do you think those guinea pigs in store come from? People don't just go out and pluck them off of trees. In big pet store chains, there is a breeder/mill some where with guinea pigs whose SOLE purpose is to breed more and more pigs to supply the stores. In mom and pop stores, they often breed their own pigs. When you buy one from a pet store, the pet store then realizes that there is a demand, and breeds more or buys more from their breeder/mill. Either way, the end result is MORE guinea pigs.

In a way it's a good thing she did

It is NOT a good thing she did. This ONE particular pig may benefit (if, that is, she can manage to financially provide for her and her babies) but it condemns other pigs to be bred and brought to the pet store.

It's a cycle.

There is NO praise here for purchasing a guinea pig from a pet store.

JamANDSlop
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

mini'smama

Cavy Slave
"...and DO care for the guinea pigs and the people who WORK there are not perfect! Especially when the guinea pigs were only 6 weeks old, it IS difficult to sex them. ...."

Wrong answer. By the time a guinea pig is 6 weeks old, it IS pretty easy to TELL IF IT HAS A PENIS OR NOT.

CaRMeLLa BaBy

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
JamANDSlop said:
Put a rope around my neck and hang me why dont ya.
Wait, before we ban you..is hanging an actual option?

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I knew it was someone here before, just didnt know who. Wow, my troll sniffing has improved. :)

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Please let me do the honors .... Ty's Pigs/JamANDSlop you are now permanently banned. :):):)

CaRMeLLa BaBy

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Were they the same person VJ? If not, they sure whinged the same.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
And thankyou jamandslop

Yup, it's great to get your support from someone who's been banned. I guess that he/she is a friend of yours, since the original person (Ty's Pigs) was the one who referred you.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
CaRMeLLa BaBy said:
I honestly can say that I would not. I don't have anything against shelters I am all for it but I would not get a guinea pig from one because that is where everybody gets them.
IF this were true, which it most definitely is not, there wouldn't be THOUSANDS of guinea pigs and other small animals in shelters and rescues across the country. Your reasoning is extremely flawed. If you can find some statistic somewhere that shows everybody going to shelters, humane societies, and rescues to adopt animals instead of buying them at the store and supporting completely unnecessary and cruel breeding, I would love to see it.

To answer your initial question, at 2 weeks, there is most likely no way to tell if your newly purchased pig is pregnant without going to the vet. Your best bet is to read and learn as much as possible about guinea pig pregnancy and start saving your $$ for an emergency C-section or other veterinary procedure or treatment. A good starting block is www.guinealynx.com/reproduction.html.

CaRMeLLa BaBy

C&K

Cavy Slave
the facts are, that the shelters near me DO NOT have any guinea pigs!

The facts are, if you kept your eye on local papers, contacted vets to see if they knew of any accidental litters about to happen (or had happened) and posted here, to GL and pigloo saying you where looking to provide a loving home for another guinea pig, I am 99% sure within 2 weeks, you would have more pigs thrust at you to take care of then you could shake a stick at! I would think that out of all the possible pigs, a few of them would have owners or contacts that would Drop them off on your front door if needed! You live in New York! Not some remote island devoid of pigs! If you can't drive, fine, other people can.

Justify it in your head as much as you want, you knew from your first post no one here would agree, you should know by now that your instincts where right. You should not have bought the pig! That said, what are you going to do about it? I suggest, as any member who is here having bought from a petstore has in the past, take your lumps, catalog your wrong doing in the back of your head, and move on, learn how to take care of the pigs you have, never buying from a petstore again!

At 2 weeks, it is unlikely you can tell if she is pregnant. Look up the info on GL that was given. Check out the links, they have great info on spotting problems and preventing Toxima. Post your diet you are feeding, make sure what you are doing for her is right and good. These things, in being responsible will improve her life and make it better. Not trying to browbeat members of a rescue forum into supporting your purchase!

As for the vet, petstore pigs often have parasites or infections. A vet check and treatment with and anti parasitic is a good idea. I believe Mange Mites can cause problems with the pregnancy and with the pups for example; it is safe to treat a pregnant sow with Ivermectin for this condition! If you absolutely will not bring to a vet, then you can do Ivermectin over the counter with a good kitchen scale. I highly recommend that.

You have a choice to make, do what is right for your pig and stop your antics now, or move on to another forum to have your questions answered. (Lot of bad info out there, I don't advise it) I am personally willing to help you and your pig, but I won't be if I am called names like being "insane" any further.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
CaRMeLLa BaBy said:
Yes we are friends we met on the internet but I HONESTLY had no clue he was gonna help me and for that I applaud him! Just because we believe that pet store pigs deserve a chance wow this sight is real low. You cannot accept that no matter what any of you do, the pet stares are still going to sell guinea pigs one way or another and you cannot just ACCEPT THAT!

What's a pet stare? Is it when your guinea pig looks something like this :eye-poppi ?

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
You're absolutely correct that I CANNOT accept that. I WILL NOT accept that. There is no reason for pet stores to be selling animals when thousands of animals are euthanized every year for lack of good homes.

People used to say, "Just accept that slavery will always be around" and "just accept the fact that women will never get to vote" and "just accept the fact that we'll always use child labor." And all of those things changed - why should this be any different?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Carmella, this forum has ideals and rules. If you do not like it then leave. If you feel you can stop trying to undermine the values of this site then stay.

You cannot have it both ways and we will NEVER think you did a good thing by buying an animal at a petstore. You are simply contributing to a problem we are trying to erase.

The fact is you cannot rescue a petstore animal by buying it. You can either be part of the solution or part of the problem. You, dear, are becoming quite a problem around here and in the animal world in general.

Take this as your last warning. Take the heat you are getting for your stupid actions in quite grace and move on or you will be moved out of this forum by means of a banning.

CaRMeLLa BaBy
Status
Not open for further replies.