Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference This is how to build a second story

animalhouse

Cavy Slave
What a awsome post! I was just looking around to get ideas on how to put a 2nd story on mine, But I wasn't sure how to make a ramp. I have like 11-12 extra grids,and almost half the full sheet of coroplast left. I think I will have enough to make a 2nd story. And now that I know a better way to do the coroplast, I may do a better job! I made the mistake of cutting it all the way through,and then taping it together. Oops!

MissCin

Cavy Slave
This is very helpful. Thanks!

kala83

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering how do u put up a second and third level that is directly right above the first securely enough that the two other levels will not fall down.
If anyone can help me with you do this it would be super helpful.
Thanks

CavyGal6680

Cavy Slave
Just wondering if the zip/cable ties are sturdy enough to hold the upper story. I have a closed lower-level cage and would like to add a small loft. Thanks in advance!

Jen

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Yes they are. If you look in my gallery you will see pictures of my cage when it was 2 levels. I didn't use any connectors, only zip ties. The thing to remember is to use lots of them! Every corner had 6 ties. 4 like this:

and then 2 more diagonally making an X. I did use a broom stick as support poles for the middle of the upper level because it sagged ever so slightly, but I found the boys tended to knock the poles over so they could play with them.

Currently I only have a single level but I am toying with the idea of adding a second level again but haven't decided yet. I will post pictures when/if I do.

CavyGal6680

Cavy Slave
Cool, thanks!

Daphne

Cavy Slave
Question-
I want to get a 6 foot long folding table to put my cage off the ground, but it will be a big downsize. Right now my cage is a huge 4x4, and very open. I could add a second story, but I'm not sure how to make them sturdy. Is there a way to make them solid without having to put grids underneath to hold it up? It will be a pain in the neck to lay out my fleece if I have occasional grids blocking the way, you know? Anyone have any suggestions?

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Daphne, If you look in my gallery you will see that I had a 2x3 second level. I did not have anything under it and it was fine. It sagged ever so slightly so I put pieces of broomstick under it, but the boys kept knocking them down. If you look a couple of post up, you will see my picture of how I zip tied it together.

Daphne

Cavy Slave
frame2.jpg

Is that the photo? How do you get to the bottom level of the cage though? I also use zip ties, they're great.

Daphne

Cavy Slave
ahhh I see you have a big door in the front...

Daphne

Cavy Slave
How do your pigs get to the top floor in this cage?

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
At that stage if you look closely you can see that the far left front grid and right rear grid are missing and that is where I had my ramps. I also have a picture of my ramps in there.

In this video you can see the boys using the ramps (kind of).
https://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a30/Lady_Buell/Piggies/?action=view&current=carrottheif.flv

I have another video of Harry going down the ramp, but it is really dark and you can't see the ramps very well. You can see the ramp in the background in this one.

(I couldn't get it to not distort the thread)

Last edited:

Daphne

Cavy Slave
that second floor looks very solid :) So you didn't need to have anything hold it up? Just loads and loads of zip ties?

beverly06

Cavy Slave
i have a question about making the ramps how do you bend them without breaking them because i tried to bend them and it cracked

CavyGal6680

Cavy Slave
Beverly, there should be a "seam" on the grid if you look on the outer part of it. You don't want to bend on that seam or it will snap. If you bend the other way it should be okay. I am really bad at explaining things but I hope this makes some sense...

Daphne

Cavy Slave
I had the same problem, but someone told me they shouldn't crack so I'm doing it wrong.

Miss Piggys Mom

Cavy Slave
Hi I'm new to this forum and have not read all the posts yet so if this question has already been asked I'm sorry. I recently was given a bred female guinea pig, I just love the pics of all these cages and was just wondering where you purchase the material from? I believe you call them Grids.
Thank You for any helpful information

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
You can get grids from Target.

Miss Piggys Mom

Cavy Slave
Thank You so much for the info. I will be checking those places out :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.