Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chins Can chinchillas swim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x.n.d.x

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
My friend and I want to start a business, and we need to know if chinchillas can swim.
Do they?
Thanks!!!
~x.n.d.x
P.S. Can gerbils swim:confused: ????

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
What kind of business are you starting that you need to know if chinchillas and gerbils swim? The only things I can possibly think of are cruel and abusive to the chinchillas and gerbils.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Chinchillas are not to get wet. If they do, they will get horrible skin fungus and their hair will fall out. What are you up to? Can't be good.

x.n.d.x

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
:mad:
My friend will explain:
what do u think we would do we were going to open a small rodent day spa!! not a small rodent tourcher chamber!!!!:grumpy: we would have bathing,taming,nail clipping,grooming,exsersize,and water arobics!! not see who can slaughter the animal the evilest!:mischievo
~x.n.d.x and friend

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Why don't you step back and read your initial question again. Then stop and think about some of the wacko stuff that gets posted on this forum. You never once said a thing about opening a grooming salon. Do you realize that you must go to school for all of this?

x.n.d.x

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Well nobody told us that! Our parents didn't even mention that when we told them!

Going to school to brush an animal is pathetic.
Why must you go to school to do anything in this messed up world?

And, not to be rude, but why do you guys jump on people so fast? Breeding, showing, grooming, its all abusive to you guys!!!

Ok, I'm done venting.
~x.n.d.x

ETA: Go ahead. Groan at me. Because I DON'T CARE!

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Grooming is not abusive. Grooming is when you bath a pig, trim its nails, brush it, and for long haired pigs trim there hair. Breeding and showing is torture.

You have to go to school and get a license. If you go and groom a long haired pig do you know how to get the mats out? Do you know what makes the mats worse? If you take a shaver and shave a long hair pig (some people do do this, one that comes to mind is VoodooJoint) do you know the different sizes? Do you know what brand of shavers is best? Do you know what different brushes do and the best nail clipper? Do you know basic things about the animals you are wanting to start a buisness for? If you know any of the answers to these questions, please go ahead an answer them.

x.n.d.x

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
My Baby Mu said:
Do you know what different brushes do and the best nail clipper?
I use human nail clippers, and fine tooth brush and a soft bristle brush. My guinea pig loves it.
~x.n.d.x

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
What kind of hair does your guinea pig have? What if some guinea pigs nails will not fit into human nail clippers? How many guinea pigs have you had with different hair types.

Since you are wanting to groom other animals, what do you know about them, their hair types, and how they generally act?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
x.n.d.x said:
Because there are safe and dangerous ways to do most things, and most people will not pay you to do something unless they know you have been trained. I know for a fact that I would not go to a pet groomer that was not trained.
x.n.d.x said:
And, not to be rude, but why do you guys jump on people so fast? Breeding, showing, grooming, its all abusive to you guys!!!
Grooming your own pig is not abusive. Trying to start a business without any training possibly could be. With all of the potential health problems, and possibly death, breeding is definitely abusive. And showing, which is usually an offshoot of breeders trying to show off, and means keeping pigs in very small cages, in stressful conditions, often without food or water for hours, and allowing people to handle them that they are not familiar with, is obviously abusive.

And let your "friend" know that the way he or she posted that extremely angry response has earned you a 2nd warning. The lack of capitalization and any normal punctuation is very clearly against forum rules, as are the over abundance of smilies. Your "abusive", to you use one of your favorite adjectives, attitude did nothing to help your cause in this. In case you have forgotten what those rules are, please reread them in this thread. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/announcement.php?f=27&a=7
If your posting, or the posting of someone using your ID is that horrible again, and a third warning has to be issued to you, it will be accompanied by a ban for one week, where you will not be able to post at all. In the future, if you want to let someone else post under your ID, you should check to see what they have posted before you allow them to submit the post.

C&K

Cavy Slave

Well, considering that you where looking to throw a chin or gerbil into a small rodent swimming pool, I don't think it is pathetic at all to require a licence for animal grooming!

Had you gone off on your hair brained scheme, and bathed chins, you could have caused them sevear problems, just the sort of thing requiring licences tries to prevent, people doing stupid things because they don't know better!

As for gerbils, they are a desert animal are they not? I can't see a huge need for a lot of swimming in their history, again, a bath maybe ok for them, but definately not swimming!

I don't understand why you are getting so rude yourself! You post "can two animals that anyone with any clue, knows don't live in aquatic enviornments swim? Because we are starting a business?" What did you think people where going to think? What sort of response did you think you where going to get? Maybe if you posted, "My friend and I where thinking of opening up a small animal beauty salon and wondered if you can give a chin or hamster a bath?" YOu would have got a much more favourable response!

Generally if you are asking a question, it is best to give all the information so that someone can offer an informed response! Playing games is a complete waste of everyones time!

x.n.d.x

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I don't agree with some of the rules. I'm considering leaving.
Sorry.
~x.n.d.x

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
x.n.d.x said:
Sorry.
~x.n.d.x
That's certainly your decision. If you leave, do so quietly. All of civilized society and all organizations have rules. If you don't agree with them, I'm sure you can find a place that will meet your needs better.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
x.n.d.x said:
Sorry.
~x.n.d.x

That sounded like flouncing to me..

x.n.d.x

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
What's flouncing, again?
~x.n.d.x

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18226

Someone just informed me that you weren't flouncing yet. That's what PM was advising you against. Sorry. I'm bad with internet lingo. ;)

Oh and x.n.d.x. even if you didn't have to get a groomers license (which you do), it'd be a good idea to go to school to get a bachelors degree in business. You can go to community college, if you start up a successful business you'll pay off you loans in no time at all. It's always a good idea to go to school in this day and age.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Giving a chinchilla a bath (which is most certainly a bad idea) wouldn't be the same as swimming, would it? Please think about your questions before you answer them. This is the second time you've inflamed this forum recently ... the third time will most likely be the last.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Let me summarize the reasons why you need to go to school in order to set up a small animal grooming business:

• To learn about the equipment you will use to groom the animals and why human nail clippers are certainly not appropriate for most small animals.
  • To learn about current health and safety regulations that will relate to your practice. This is a legal requirement in most if not all places.
  • To learn about the care of particular species - you will know, of course, about fur slip in chinchillas and the reasons why you cannot bath them in water. You will know that hamsters should (generally) not be bathed. You will learn that aqua aerobics is for human beings and not small companion animals.
  • You will learn about the different products that are appropriate to each animal. What shampoo would you use on a guinea pig with a fungal infection? Or a skinny pig?
  • To learn mathematical skills that will be necessary for book-keeping. Whilst you think you will get to keep all the money, the tax man is going to wonder where your income is coming from.
  • To learn the basic communication and customer care skills that will ensure your customers keep coming back to you. From your posts above, it is clear that you need some further development of these skills.
  • As someone mentioned above, you will be given a qualification to put on the wall. Most people will pass you by if you don't have this.

C&K

Cavy Slave
This reminds me of when I was 9, and my friends and I opened up a "beauty salon" out of our garage. We gave everyone hidious blue eye shadow and rubbed aloe cream into everyones knees because they where "bumpy".

Really it was childs play, I am not even sure if we got money from these "patrons", if we did, it was a very small amount, (10 cents?)

I don't think that XNDX is inquiring because grooming small animal companions is going to be be her life long passion, rather she and her friend thought that maybe they could make a couple extra bucks this summer, and then who knows. Going to university to learn how to run a business is probably not needed, however the small animal licence still is, because these little guys can't tell you "don't put blue eye shadow on me", so you need to know the ins and outs of care for all the different species you are going to treat, before you seriously hurt one.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I would think that if you have to go to school to cut human hair (and not just once either. My boss still takes courses and she's be certified for a while and is a teacher herself) then taking 1 course on grooming several types of animals is a minimum.

Though you can learn to do things in the work enviroment. I was hired as a cleaning lady and now I've worked my way up to learning in house book keeping. But there is a big downside. If I have to leave that job for whatever reason, even on good terms (like I get pregnant or move) I cannot really market myself as an in house book keeper. I think at best I could market myself as a really versitle personal assistant.

Same thing happened with my QA job. I could not get another job as a QA even though I had on the job training. But not being able to physically do much of the work anymore did not help either. Good thing most of the skills were transferable.

You'd be surprised how far critical thinking and showing up on time will get you.

Status
Not open for further replies.