Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New stuff for Al

So, given that ole' Fat Al has been in need of a replacement cozy for the cheap one I had made for him previously. So, I decided to make him a new one with the qaulity he deserves. I made this one from the same flanel used in his cage and quilt stuffing. I whipped out the sewing machine and went at it. Here is the result:

And here is his new pig tunnel. Made it from Felt, popsicle sticks, and cardboard. Something simple and easy:

And, finally, this is the real story. I've always been the guy to take it over the top...So, I've decided to make a fully functional air system for Al's cage. It's going to made to keep entirely fresh air flowing through specific areas of the cage to promote comfort, not coldness or anything else inside the cage. This will be simply to put a little breeze in a specific area that Al can plop his large butt down at if he wants a little air. Since I'm also a computer modifier, it's going to be made from cooling fans and an old power supply of mine:

Thanks
    Thanks
    77 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: New stuff for Al

And to think my friends and family think I have too much time on my hands! Love it all. You are a crack up with the air system.

Please keep an eye on Al in case he decides to chew on the popcicle sticks. I guess if you used 'school' glue it is ok if he ingests a bit but still not something he should have a lot of.
    Suggestion: Take 2 grids (if you have any extras) and bend them to make a tunnel and then cover them with your felt. Leave the bottom open because Al will adore it and hang out there and poo and pee to his heart's content.

Thanks
    Thanks
    70 Rec'd/41 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ditto on the bottomless tunnel. My pigs just love to pee under anything. All their tunnels have no base unless it's a cereal box that will get chucked out anyway! And the popsicle sticks- I've chewed them in the past (don't laugh!) and they splinter pretty easily. Sorry to be the one to point that out. Cool cosy, wish mine would use theirs to sleep in rather than as a luxury potty. Cool idea about the fans. Just one quick question though, I thought drafts of any kind were bad? I'm sure I can remember reading something about guinea pigs getting eye infections from drafts and wondering to myself if there was anything these little guys can't get sick from . I would have thought your computer fans wouldn't cause too much breeze. After all, GPs survive outdoors. Did I imagine the drafts and eye-infections thing or is it harsh winds that can cause problems or something? I probably did imagine it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    77 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Cool cosy, wish mine would use theirs to sleep in rather than as a luxury potty.
    Muffin, don't you know! They are notorious for peeing in them. Right now we are using nothing but the 'cushions' I made and I am happy and the pigs are happy.

Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I absolutely love your ideas. they are all brilliant! That house is a great idea, but I wouldn't use popsicle sticks, unless you knew of something to hold it together that is:

A) non-toxic
    B) cheap
    C) replacable

Your air conditioning system is absolutely brilliant. I love your creativity. Keep your brilliant mind working, and you will get the Oooohh's and Ahhhhh's from everyone!

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really appreciate everyones response and suggestions, although clever I still have much to learn about pig care. I used small dabs of hot glue to hold the sticks to the cardboard supports. The glue is non-toxic craft glue. If Al starts to chew the sticks, i'll remove the house and replace it with a more structurally sound house. The air system is simply to keep fresh air in his cage, not so much to create a draft, just something to promote comfort for him. I'll get back with some updates later.

User Tag List