Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Today's the Day

C&K

Cavy Slave
Well, we don't seem to have Morningstar or so many of these other products, so I am glad we have something! Unfortunately, Licks does seem to be a mostly Southern Ontario thing! I swear, no one in my family can distinguish their natureburger as being "substitute meat".

They also have a whole new line up of products for take out too, (broken link removed) also available at A&P stores (and associate stores, like food basics / The Barn / Dominion).

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Apparently people come up and complain that they actually got a meat burger when they did get the veggie one. It's that good. Harvey's uses the same patties (at least they used to).

The nearest place I can think to get some of the American brands is Whole Foods in Toronto. Apparently there is one in Oakville too. Might be worht the trip, at least to check it out once. I remember driving through the middle of nowhere, TN, and passing several big natural food stores like Whole Foods and Wild Oats and being very impressed, since they don;t have stuff like that up here at all!

C&K

Cavy Slave
Apparently people come up and complain that they actually got a meat burger when they did get the veggie one. It's that good. Harvey's uses the same patties (at least they used to).

The nearest place I can think to get some of the American brands is Whole Foods in Toronto. Apparently there is one in Oakville too. Might be worht the trip, at least to check it out once. I remember driving through the middle of nowhere, TN, and passing several big natural food stores like Whole Foods and Wild Oats and being very impressed, since they don;t have stuff like that up here at all!

Ok, I am pretty dense, what patty is Harveys that it is the same as? Their veggie patty is the same as??? (really a meat patty?) (Or like Licks?) Yeah, I am a dork!

I will have to check out that Whole Foods store in Oakville, still though, I don't think that it is too good an idea to try and get veggie versions of everything, it just seems to easy to slide back at some point, and they tend to always be more expensive. We struggle with the grocery bill enough when we are trying to eat right with a family of 5 in tow!

C&K

Cavy Slave
You know, it actually kind of pisses me off that so many of these veggie products cost so much more then their meat counterparts. Afterall, should it not be a lot easier to farm and process soy? I just don't get it!

I guess it is all supply and demand, then you have the start up costs of manufacturing. Still, I think it is gouging, or at least, when so many of these companies are still controlled by the meat industry, they don't want to undercut their mainstream products!

I would love to know where it is that hotdog vendors in Toronto source their veggie dogs. They are nothing like anything I can find in stores...

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I have a hard time too with the veggie products costing more. I have the money (luckily). But the husband is a wise spender. He gags every time I go to the store to get my supplies. We are used to living off $1.00 per pound ground Turkey meant (that sounds so horrible now when I think about it, it made me sick to my stomach to type it. Wow.), and off brand dollar store junk food. Seriously, we used to be able to get away with spending $100.00 a month or less on groceries for the two of us.

Now I can't get everything I need at Save-a-lot or the dollar store. I'm buying A LOT of fresh produce and fruit. Plus I'm buying veggie stuff from Morning Star and Boca. I think it's worth it, and I'll know I'll get the costs down once I start getting used to shopping like this, but until then I'll have to listen to hubby whine about the prices.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Since Morningstar and Boca is mostly frozen, I wait till it goes on sale and buy a ton. The sales can be pretty good, but don't happen all that often. Not like in the meat section where something is ALWAYS on sale. The nice thing is, though, in the major grocery stores, when Morningstar goes on sale ALL of their stuff is on sale. Just keep an eye out.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I will. It's hard to buy a lot of bulk for me though since I share a kitchen with five other people. But when they go on sale I'll buy as much as I can fit into my alloted freezer space.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Has anyone ever tried Morningstar's Tomato Basil Pizza Burgers? They are the best! You don't even need a bun or condiments! It's got basil, cheese, tomato, etc, baked into it, and it really tastes like pizza. They're my favorite.

Another thing regarding the fast food, Wendy's is actually really good. They hand make your salads for you without chicken, and they take out the price of the chicken, without any arguments. The first time I asked for a Mandarin Chicken Salad - without the chicken - I thought I was going to get a "No." But they were just like, "Sure, I'll go back and make it myself right now." And they're really good salads, too. They're really big (I can't even finish one), and aren't wilted or gross, like McDonald's. Y'all should try one.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Ooo. I'll try that the next time I go out. I love Wendy's salads, but after my McDonalds fiasco I wasn't up to fast food salads for a while. Now I think I'd be okay ordering one.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
On a similar fast food note, if you go to Arby's, their baked potatoes are really yummy, and their salads are already chicken free. You have to pay extra if you want the chicken added.

C&K

Cavy Slave
I was at the store yesterday, I looked at the frozen meatless meat section, they did not have much, PC makes a whole line of veggie and soy burgers, but they where all very expensive compared to their "meat" counterpart. 5.99 for 4 burgers! That is a lot for someone with a family of 5, and at least twice as expensive. The sausages where the same thing. It may be possible to eat like this a few times a week, but not everyday.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.