Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Canada / US rescue in Progress

C&K

Cavy Slave
Maybe this should be in adoptables, but I am just so mad, I have been thinking about it for a few hours, I thought it was more suitable in the kitchen! If a Mod wishes to move it, by al means go ahead.

I actually started to write a response to take this poor creature! However I just can't, I have been through it up and down a thousand times, it just won't work, I am at my limit for animals, if I took her, it would have to be as a foster, but even that, I don't think I could do, as we are thinking about moving, and already have a problem with all our animals.

I vow not to look at Petfinder again until we are stable! If anyone can please help this poor thing in the Toronto area, it would be a great thing to do!

In Toronto, from Petfinder Classifieds: 1 year old female pig.

Adoption fee $20.00 Lovely chocolate Abysinnian Cross guinnea pig. This wonderful girl has spent the entire year in a classroom of grade 2 students and is exceptionally social and well mannered! As you can imagine, she adores kids and being handled and she is used to a great deal of activity around her so is very calm because of it. She comes when her name is called, and had free run of the classroom and would return to her cage to use the bathroom. We have a dog, so she is used to being sniffed at and does not startle from it (though you should never leave any small animal unattended around a dog or cat.) Our boys are enrolled in many activities and have no time to spend with her, which is why we placed her in a classroom during the school year... So if you want an amazing small pet for your child, who is happy healthy and craves the attention, then this is the perfect one! She comes with a critter cage, water bottle, dishes, nail clippers and brush.
[/QUOTE]

I just don't know what to make of it. They put her in a class because they needed a place to dump her, she is alone, sounds bored and attention starved, and are now looking to rehome her a second time? Way to go as parents! I think they get the Gold Star of the day!

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Re: Pet Dumping at its worst!

Oh man. I would really take her if I could too. If only there was a way to get her to me (and convince my husband to let us have two more, because then we'd HAVE to get her a friend). Oh man, my heart just aches for this girl. We have the room.... "Oh hubby dearest..."

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave

C&K you would not believe this! Hubby said I could save this girl if someone can set up a piggy train with me and I find a job soon (which I know I will be able to). :D Want to hook me up with some info? I know Toronto is ike six or seven hours from me, can someone take pigs across country lines?

C&K

Cavy Slave

Definately! It is no problem at all to take a pig into the US, GL has a post about it (sticked) in the Cavy Placement forum.

I'll send her an email and see if she is still available. I could keep her for awhile until something can be worked out...

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave

Ooo! I have butterflies in my tummy. My hubby has said no to every other request at another. There is something special about this one though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you so much C&K for bringing this here. I'd be willing to give you some extra cash to keep her until a piggie train could be worked out. I have some money saved up.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave

Sounds like fate PiggieMom!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave

Oh I'm jealous! Congrats on getting your husband to agree PiggieMom. If I was closer, I would be all about rescuing another "classroom pig" to join my girls and Percy, but I know she's going to end up in a wonderful home thanks to the two of you!

C&K

Cavy Slave

Ok, I sent an email, hopefully she is still available. I know I can get her to Niagara, however I am not sure if I can get her over the boarder myself, as I have a paperwork issue with my children. (Late birth registration in progress for one, so no birth certificate!)

But, I can get them to Niagara Falls or Fort Erie, or just about anywhere in Southern Ontario!

I told a white Lie and said I only had two pigs, I was afraid saying I had three would scare her off! This is what I sent:

Hi, I was wondering if your guinea pig is still in need of a new home.

I have 2 pigs, both girls, named Boots and Snowflake.

Boots sounds similar to yours, she is a short haired brown pig with a little bit of abby in her, so she has some hair kinks. She does have a white bum and a cream nose and ear. She is almost three years old and came to live with us Last Augest from a freecycle ad in Niagara.

Snowflake is actually a red and white longhaired Sheltie. She was named by a young child of the previous owner. She arrived at our local shelter with really badly tangled hair and had to be almost completely shaved. It was very sad, so we took her home. She has been with us since September.

Both of them get along very well, but I think they would enjoy a friend, as guinea pigs are herd animals and with enough space do well in larger groups, with females, that can be up to 7 or more (although I will never have that many pigs!) They live in a 12 square foot cage very happily with unlimited Timothy hay, and lots of fresh veggies. (Romaine, cilantro, a baby carrot a day, lots of sweet bell peppers, a couple times a week some dark leafy greens and a small piece of fruit for a treat).

If you still have your pig, then we would be very happy to add her to our herd! Please let me know either way. We are in Hamilton, but could come and get her from Toronto

Have a nice day!

So, all we have to do is keep our fingers crossed!

I feel so bad for her, she is only a year old, was purchased it sounds like last summer, handed over to a classroom because they where "too busy". And now that they have her back, completely attention starved, they are still "too busy".

So sad.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Last edited:

C&K

Cavy Slave

So you would be comming into Canada From Windsor?

Would Windsor be possible? That would knock probably nearly 3 hours off the trip... I think I could do Windsor, or find someone who could, but probably I could do it! Might just have to give me a few weeks! ;)

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave

I'm sure there are people who would love to have a piggy train set up. Just post it around different forums and you'll have some takers in no time!

C&K

Cavy Slave

Perhaps... Getting to Windsor is the hardest part. Not nearly as many members that travel between those two cities, however I can think of a couple that probably could pig sit for a day or two if nessisary in Windsor itself!

Mapquest says that Windsor is extactly 1/2 the trip, EST time is 2 hrs 33 min. To hamilton is 5 hrs, 9 min. The only thing of course is factoring breaks and the actual crossing. Usually it is not bad, some days though well, we don't want to go there!

https://www.mapquest.com/directions...&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=Windsor&2s=ON&2z=&panelbtn=2

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave

Well I was looking at coming in through Samia (since I'm in mid-Michigan), but I could do Windsor if that's easier for people. We'll just have to see how it works out. ;)

C&K

Cavy Slave

No news yet. I am impatient arn't I? ;)

Lets hope she is not to busy to check her email...

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave

Man, I've been checking this thread like crazy! I'm so impatient! With our luck she probably only checks her mail like once a week like my grandma. I've been looking on petfinder looking for a friend for her too. There aren't a lot of females in Michigan though (at least not many that aren't in a bonded pair). But there is one in Detroit right now who was a "stray" How strange is that?

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave

who was a "stray" How strange is that?

Come on PiggieMom! You don't see all those abandoned pigs running around the streets? Stealing veggies right from the store. They're becoming such a big problem these days.

jdomans

Cavy Slave

I am just now reading this and am so excited for you. Yes the fingers are crossed that it goes well.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave

fourbwabbys said:
Come on PiggieMom! You don't see all those abandoned pigs running around the streets? Stealing veggies right from the store. They're becoming such a big problem these days.

I know, it always makes me raise an eyebrow when I see guinea pigs at the shelter that were found as strays. How in the world does a GP survive out there in the big bad world, and even moreso, how does one CATCH a stray GP? I can't even catch my captive ones half the time.

This is exciting! I'm crossing my fingers she is still available. What gets me is that she is only a YEAR OLD!! How can you lose interest so fast, they must of put her in that classroom only months after getting her. Sheesh. Well I hope she finds a home with Piggie Mom ASAP!

C&K

Cavy Slave

If you want a friend, I can send her with a friend! We have way to many pigs in these parts, I am sure Alice can have you "with pig" in no time flat!

I know she had a spayed female that was abandoned at the vets when they refused to treat her for a sevear UTI. The vet asked her if she did the spay for free, would she take her into rescue? Of course she did. I don't know if she is still available though.

There is a pair at my local Animal Control. However they I think have to go together. Lots of other shelters have tons of pigs though, and it is just a matter of time before my local A/C has a female they can't keep.

Shucks... I can't find the ad this morning. No word from her yet though, I hope she at least lets us know one way or another.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave

C&K said:
Shucks... I can't find the ad this morning. No word from her yet though, I hope she at least lets us know one way or another.

Oh, that worries me. It would be nice to know either way.

It would be great if you were able to send her with a friend (if I'm able to get her.) We'll have to double check her sex though. If she's a male she can just join my boys.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.