Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

France Rescues in France

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
I have been searching the net, and have called the local animal shelters, but so far I am only coming up with shelters that take in dogs and cats - no small animals what so ever.

I am prepared to travel to a rescue centre, I live in Carcassonne, therefore can just as easily go to Spain if necessary.

I also am not in any rush to adopt, but I would like to have an idea of where I can find a rescue place - I know that one day there will be an advert in the local paper or on the boards in shops, advertising a guinea pig or two in need of a loving home, but I would still like to find somewhere who loves cavvies as much as everyone on this site. I would also like to introduce them to these fantastic cages that you lot are using.

I have been on a few of the french GP forums, but their information tends to match the info given in books and in the very unknowledgable pet stores. Their minimum sizes for cages are just sickening. I can't wait to have my CC cage built and start posting pictures on those sites in the hope to get them all to start using them too.

I would also like to say a big THANK YOU to Cavy cages and all the members for all the fantastic helpful and more than anything caring information you all give out on a daily basis. I feel that the day I do find two needy guinea pigs, they will certainly have a good chance in life thanks to this forum.

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
I have found a site where we can adopt GP's here in France - along with other animals, just in case anyone else is interested. (broken link removed)

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
I have been in contact with lots of Animal Rescue Centres here in France, and am shocked to find that there are NO Guinea Pig rescues. I questionned the centres if they would take GPs in if asked to, they said no as there is no demand! If there is no demand why are they still being breed and sold in pet shops????

Looks like an opening for a GP rescue centre, unfortunately I am not in the slightest bit experienced, but who knows for the future?

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
I know there is no other people in France around at the mo, but just in case one day there are others here is another good site (broken link removed)

Good as in they take in and adopt out small animals aswell as dogs and cats, not necessarily good in the information they give you about the care! But at least it means that people in that area know where to adopt!

C&K

Cavy Slave
That is wonderful you found a place! I think I remember a similar conversation about pigs in I believe it was Belgium; why does it seem like they are for sale everywhere, but none to be rescued? I think it possibly because they are being sold to homes that don't know how to take cre of them, and they don't live very long as a general rule.

Sad but probably very true, I wonder if France has the same problem, a real lack of good guinea pig knowledge?

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
It most certainly does have a lack of good guinea pig knowledge.

Do you know what I saw today written on a packet of guinea pig food - they had put a little explantion on the side of the packet, amongst other rubbish such as 'your guinea pig doesn't need hay or vegetables' they had put that guinea pigs do not like to share their cage - so it is always better to have just one!

Needless to say, I didn't buy that food!

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
Anyway, I wanted to let any future French people know that coroplast is called Akilux in french. Should make it a little easier to find it.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Do you know what I saw today written on a packet of guinea pig food - they had put a little explantion on the side of the packet, amongst other rubbish such as 'your guinea pig doesn't need hay or vegetables' they had put that guinea pigs do not like to share their cage - so it is always better to have just one!

Needless to say, I didn't buy that food!

Oh my goodness! That is just terrible! I would not trust anything from a company that understands so little about pigs!

Gwennaëlle

Cavy Slave
Take a look at Riga's food for GP...there is sugar in it! You know what? Auchan's muuuuuuuuuch cheaper and much better and my girls love it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.