Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Store bought cage

x-Beck-x

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, I know majority of you that keep your guinea pigs inside use the coroplast/storage cube cages.. I was just wondering though, are there ANY store bought cages that would be suitable for two guinea pigs?

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
I've never seen one that did more than meet the bare minimum of 7.5 square feet. Even then, you're likely to have a lot of problems with two pigs in such a small area, especially if they're boars. I have two females that tend to squabble with each other in a 3x4, so I'd hate to see them try to cohabitate in a 2x3!

x-Beck-x

Cavy Slave
Thanks for that.. I really love the storage cube cages.. I just worry that I'd not be able to make the coroplast bottom properly! Also, If I didn't have the floor space for a 3x4, could I do a 2x3 and maybe have it double leveled? Or do the need they space over one level? Sorry if my questions seem dumb but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I go ahead and do things wrong!

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
It seems a little daunting the first time you do it, but trust me, I'm the world's worst craftperson, and I managed to assemble one. That really won me over to their ease of construction.

Ideally, you don't want to make a two story cage that's 2x3. The ramp going up to the top level takes away space on the bottom which makes it seem even smaller. You could do several variations on cage size and shape, though. You could do a 2x4 and it should be plenty big for a pair of pigs. Or a 3x3. I have mine in 3x4s because I have three pigs in each cage. :)

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
If you have a little more room, you can do a 1x1 stairwell on the end of your cage for the ramps. That's what we did, and it doesn't take any room away from the interior since the openings for the ramps are on the sides of the main living space, and not cut through the bottom.

extensiblecow

Cavy Slave
The petshop at Macquarie Centre, North Ryde (that is if you're in Sydney - you didn't put your location on your profile) starts selling cages for critters. Recently, I saw this huge plastic cage, where it has a cool loft. You have the option to close the loft up too. Judging from the look of that plastic thing, I estimated it to be about the same size as 2x3 with 2 storey. But it does seems bulky. Probably durable for keeping GPs outdoor.

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
Hey Guys,

I know that the warehouse was selling a rabbit cage that were about 1.5metres in length not sure about the width but they did have a super large cage there. They're all sold out in QLD although might not be in other states....was a really reasonable price aswell. They sometimes get in much larger cages than most petstore cages and I guess at the same time if purchasing from the warehouse it wouldn't be supporting the petshops?

Jess

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
Almost all pet stores sell the large cages. I have one myself. It measures 150 long and 75 wide. So its almost a 2 x 5 size plus it has a loft and plenty of room to add more.

I have one and i paid $187.50. My parents got it for me as grids down here are virtually useless as they are such bad quality and they wanted my verandah set up to look a wee bit snazzier LOL.

Mine came from an independant pet store that dosn't sell animals and have always had decent sized cages for sale never the mini ones.

Emma

Matt & Guins

Cavy Slave
Some petshops recently have been selling very large indoor cavy cages. They are (from memory) 240cm long x 120cm wide. They have a big plastic base, and wire top that has a door on the top and side. They also have a little 2nd storey with a ramp (but its wire so you need to put something on them).

They will, however, set you back anywhere from $150 to $200

Matt

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
A Cage 120 wide? I've never ever seen a cage that big hand made or other wise. How would you reach in?

Emma

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Matt & Guins said:
They are (from memory) 240cm long x 120cm wide.
Please let us know the brand of this cage. I have never in my life seen a pre made small animal cage that measured nearly 4' x 8'.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Bellebelle said:
Almost all pet stores sell the large cages. I have one myself. It measures 150 long and 75 wide. So its almost a 2 x 5 size plus it has a loft and plenty of room to add more.
I saw that cage you posted in the gallery. I deleted it because there was no way it was that big especially when I compared it to the size of the Guinea pig inside it and the water bottle.

Lissa

Cavy Slave
I have several store bought cages that measure 140cm by 70cm. They have an upper level. The upper level measures 50cm by 70cm. I place up to 5 sows in a cage of this size. It's plenty room as I offer the feed and water on the upper level so they have a lot of floor space to do laps. These cages set me back AU$189 for two (special buy) and AU$225 for the rest.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Lissa said:
I have several store bought cages that measure 140cm by 70cm. They have an upper level. The upper level measures 50cm by 70cm. I place up to 5 sows in a cage of this size.
You have got to be kidding me? You put 5 sows in a cage that measures 2.3' x 4.59' ? That is less then 2 square feet per animal. That means you had each pig in the equivalent of a cage that would measure 1'x2' or 30.48cm x 60.96cm. That is NOWHERE near enough room!

Last edited:

extensiblecow

Cavy Slave
Lissa said:
I have several store bought cages that measure 140cm by 70cm. They have an upper level. The upper level measures 50cm by 70cm. I place up to 5 sows in a cage of this size. It's plenty room as I offer the feed and water on the upper level so they have a lot of floor space to do laps. These cages set me back AU$189 for two (special buy) and AU$225 for the rest.

Is this one of those "space shuttle" looking like cage ? :D
Any pictures ?

Lissa

Cavy Slave
You have got to be kidding me? You put 5 sows in a cage that measures 2.3' x 4.59' ? That is less then 2 square feet per animal. That means you had each pig in the equivalent of a cage that would measure 1'x2' or 30.48cm x 60.96cm. That is NOWHERE near enough room!

I keep up to 5 sows in each cage not 5 sows permanently. Do I need a reason as to why 5? Seems as though I do...
The reason is when it is extremely hot over the 100F mark (it is Australia you know, it's hot and balmy in summer) then I will wheel the cages inside to the air conditioned part of the house. I put 5 sows in because I think that is the maximum number of pigs it will house comfortably for a few hours. There would be no way i'd be able to bring all of my cages which are that size into the house. The house is way too small. So rather than leave them out in 100F+ weather I seemibly "cram" them into these cages to keep them cool. Can't win can I??

What I don't get is when you say that the pigs only have "1ftx 2ft each". Sure they do IF you sectioned the cage off but it's an open cage. It's not like the pigs say "Hey you, you're in my section, get out, this is my 1ft by 2 ft". They all share the cage.

Is this one of those "space shuttle" looking like cage

I'm not sure what you mean??

The cages I have are the ones with large plastic trays and a wired top and sides. There is a door at the front and one at the top. There are a few different sizes in this model, I have the largest ones. I do have a smaller one that I use as a hospital cage when required. The ones I have are big enough to climb into.

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
Voodoo Joint- It is that big, i use jumbo water bottles (1000 ml or 1L) and Ishy is an extremely large pig (weighs 1.6 kg). Would you prefer a picture of it next to grids? I'm extremely offended that you think i'd keep my pigs in a small cage. They are my pride and joy and theirs absolutely now way i'd waste money on a cage I thought was small. That cage IS 150 cm x 75 cm. i've measured it before quite a few times, In that picture the pig is sitting on the top level, that top level is one by two grids.

The pig in the top cage is another huge pigger, she weighs in at 1,5 kg. Have I given you any reason to think I'm lying?

A picture of the cage NEXT to a grid so you can see how big it is-

These cages are wonderful and I highly reccomend them
Emma

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
I like that idea of standing the grid next to it gosh I didn't realise how bit it was either to be honest lol WOW you couldn't of guessed....I honestly have never seen a cage that big in a petstore that was a lucky find...

Jess

extensiblecow

Cavy Slave
Store bought cage looking like space shuttle

Lissa said:
I'm not sure what you mean??

The cages I have are the ones with large plastic trays and a wired top and sides. There is a door at the front and one at the top. There are a few different sizes in this model, I have the largest ones. I do have a smaller one that I use as a hospital cage when required. The ones I have are big enough to climb into.

The one at the bottom you have in your picture looks similar to those I saw selling at the pet shop at Macquarie Centre, North Ryde !

Sorry for the confusion when I asked whether it looks like "space shuttle" - kind of looks like one to me, toy sort of "space shuttle" only a rectagular one and I can imagine the GPs flying one around ! No offence intended !

I wish the pet shop sells them before I went through a month's trouble looking for those grids / wired cubes ! Could have upgraded to these !

Only thing I miss about using a standard pet shop cage is, it's easy to clean ! I am so used to rolling up newspapers, wipe down the bottom before I put in fresh newspapers !

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Bellebelle said:
Voodoo Joint- It is that big,
What is the brand name and make? I am still not convinced. It still looks small to me, much smaller then you say it is. I want to look up the size of that cage myself. I can tell you right away that it is nowhere near 5 feet long as you say. Especially if that grid you put up against it is a normal sized grid.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.