Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Store bought cage

Yup thats my cage, it has a different coloured hay rack but its the same cage. It also came with a litter box.

So that's two different sites both giving the same size for a cage, do you still believe its a tiny cage that is just cruel for anything that lives in it? Because it isn't.

Emma

Hmm maybe someone will believe us now when we say that decent sized cages can be bought from stores.

Nah probably not.......

Lissa said:
Hmm maybe someone will believe us now when we say that decent sized cages can be bought from stores.

Nah probably not.......

This is the Cavy Cages site (or at least it was last time I looked). It's a site about a specific type of cage. Why should it promote anything but?

Besides, give me a C&C cage for twice the size and a quarter of the price of one of those so-called "decent sized" cages any day.

Considering the price of Corflute and Cubes down here... my petstore cage is cheaper and larger then a C&C cage I could make.

Emma

Despite your snottyness Lissa and Bellebelle I am going to have to say that the cage Bellebelle listed does seem to meet minimum size requirements, to a degree.

I looked over the site and measurements. Now it's hard to be certain that one of the measurements is for depth not height and if they are reversed it does not meet minimum size but I'm willing to give forth the benefit of the doubt and assume the longer length is for depth.

Taking into account the actual inside usable space and deducting some centemeters from the sites outside measurements that cage seems to meet the minimum size recommended and measures approx. 8 sq. feet or about 2' 4.5'. It still is NOT a 2x5 though so I was right in my deductions. It would be closer in size to a C&C 2x3

It is suitable for a single GP (which is never recommended) or 2 sows. 2 boars should not be housed in a cage that size though and certainly not 5 sows. So Ms. Lissa, you can stop acting so smug. Don't forget, that is Bellebelle's cage NOT yours where you house 5 sows. In fact your cage is smaller then Bellebelle's isn't it?

Now, on to other matters.

What kind of site do you people think you are on?

Did you all fail to notice that you are on a site called CavyCages? The title should give the site theme away. We are about getting away from small cages and making larger enclosures. If you state that you keep your animals in pet store cages you will be questioned. If you state you keep 5 sows in one pet store cage you will make people disgusted.

This is not one of those bubblegum forums where anything goes. There are no breeders/rescuers/petstore buyers coexisting in blissful communal apathy here. There will be no, "ohhh your guinea pigs are so cute, it's too bad the mother died giving birth, good luck next time". I DON'T THINK SO!

You are on a forum that takes a firm stance on animal welfare. We mods are not here to be your friends, or to even really keep the peace. We are here to keep this forum on track and to correct bad information. We were given the jobs because we are tough and unwaivering in our views. We are not here to coddle the kiddies that come here. If you are old enough to be using a computer and join a forum you are old enough to learn and take account for your words and actions.

When you join a forum with very strong views then feathers will get ruffled. Not everyone likes what we have to say. Especially the breeders, the hobbiests, the petstores and anyone that in not willing to accept that THEY CAN DO BETTER FOR THEIR PETS IF THEY ONLY CARED ENOUGH. There are plenty of members on this forum that started out the wrong way. I was one of them. My first GP was in a small cage for a little less then a month. I fed her crappy food, not enough hay and she had a salt wheel. I did my research, found C&C and realized I can do much better. The key though is that I cared enough to actually do better. I built a bigger cage and found my GP a friend.

Those of you who wish to leave can go. We aren't going to try to talk you into staying. You can go and find your cotton candy, bubblegum forum full of magical rainbows and unicorn guinea pigs. You will also find breeders, poor information and an unwillingness to stand up and really speak in a firm voice for the animals.

I'll be staying here where my voice is welcome and I can learn further how to end neglect and abuse with people of similar mind. Here with people willing to go beyond the rainbows and get in the mud to make a differance.

Last edited:
Very well said, VJ.

Hear hear, VJ.

Wonderfully said VJ! Im an Australian cavy owner and I love the c& c cages. Mine didnt cost that much at all ($100) and I can add upper levels as much as I like, change it and adapt it to my will. I can make hay racks and cavy furniture out of the grids easily. This forum has a tough stance on guinea pig welfare that I often find lacking in Australia.

Please may i mention, My cage is NOT 8 square feet. It is 12.5 square feet. I have measured it over and over. 150 cm=5 feet, 75 cm=2.5 feet.

How have I been snotty? I have explained my reasons clearly and concisely. how does that equal snottiness?

Emma

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Gunnedah said:
I just cant believe Em and Liss that you have had to justify yor cages

Did you read the above post? Of course they have to justify them. This is NOT (broken link removed).

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Gunnedah said:
Where in the rules does it say that you have to justify your cages or anything for that matter.

Where in the rules does it say you don't have to justify your cages or anything for that matter?

If you look at the main page you will see that this site was built to show people about a particular type of cage. It is not here to promote pet store cages. If you read https://www.guineapigcages.com/petstorecages.htm you will see that none of the large cages found could meet the size recommendations. All of a sudden someone comes along and says that their bought cage does meet the size recommendation. Of course it is hard to believe. So people want evidence. You seem to think that is unreasonable. Why?

Bellebelle said:
Please may i mention, My cage is NOT 8 square feet. It is 12.5 square feet. I have measured it over and over. 150 cm=5 feet, 75 cm=2.5 feet.
Outside measurements = 150cm = 4.92feet x 75cm = 2.46feet Total OUTSIDE square feet = 12.10 square feet (already less then what you are getting)

Minus 2 cm each side for plastic width and ledge that holds the wire top on 147cm = 4.82feet x 72cm = 2.36feet Total square feet = 11.38 square feet

Minus 6cm per side to take into account pan taper wich further reduces the inside space
135cm = 4.43feet x 60cm = 1.97feet Total INSIDE square feet = 8.73 square feet

That is how I got my measurements.

Bellebelle said:
How have I been snotty? I have explained my reasons clearly and concisely. how does that equal snottiness?

Emma
You are correct. I reread the thread and I attributed a comment to you that Lissa made. I am sorry for my comment. I was mistaken.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.