Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How to Make a Cuddle Cup (requires sewing)

Rachel's Cavy Cove

Cavy Slave
Are they big enough for two? Just wondering how many to make!

Kori'smom

Cavy Slave
Those look so easy to make. I bet I can sew one (or two) up real quick. I make boutique childrens clothing so I am very familiar with this like this.

I bet my little Kori and the new piggies will LOVE them.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Rachel's Cavy Cove said:
Are they big enough for two? Just wondering how many to make!
With an 11" diameter, this should be plenty room for two pigs!

Rachel's Cavy Cove

Cavy Slave
Just a thought as well...could you sew a liner in between the fleece and backing so that pee wouldn't soak all the way through or would that just make the piggies sit in their own pee?:weepy:

Thanks for letting me know that one would be fine. My piggies come in 24 days! Yippee!

Dr Doughnut

Cavy Slave
I suck at sewing, and i sewed it toghether. Ill put pics in a mo

Dr Doughnut

Cavy Slave

Thats mine.

I used half a yard of fleece, i cut out 2 circles, about 12 inches diameter, from a large plate as a template, one with soft fleece, another with durable polyester blanket.

Then i used the remainder, and i cut it, so its 3 inches longer than the circumfrence of the circle. I put stuffing, which was peices of leftover poly-blanket, cut in peices the siz eof my hand, and i put it, and i left a spot for the entry. Then io sewed ti toghether, and i did the same with the circle. I sewed both parts togheter afterward. Then i cut the section out,a nd sewed it toghether

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Well, I finished my cup, and the finished product is in the Cavy Slaves Photo Gallery. That looks like very thick batting. I had to triple mine to make it thick enough. :D

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Oh, and Rachel: While I made it, I realized that 11" diameter is not enough space for 2 pigs. I would suggest something like a 19" diameter. Maybe even 20".

Rachel's Cavy Cove

Cavy Slave
Thanks TipiDancer! I will make it as big as i can for the loft! Still not sure about lining it though.....maybe I can sew little replacable pad that I can change? Or just make 2 and have one in the laundry and one in the cage? Decisions, decisions, decisions!

22 days and counting until my piggies come!

Queenia

Cavy Slave
OMG, Thank you SO MUCH for the instructions! I will have my mom make one for me (I'm hopeless with a needle and thread) and besides, she'll enjoy making it anyway.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
I've made a few cozies like this recenlty, and I have a little tip. I find that the cozy looks neater when finished if you tack the batting to the inner fabric, instead of the outer one. You do everything else the same, just make sure you flip it the right way when you are turning it right side out.

SMORESBOSS

Cavy Slave
Cool thanks!

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Made my very first cuddle cup, and trust me I do not know much about sewing, but it was pretty easy. I think next time I am going to connect all of the bottom pieces, than all of the side pieces, than connect the two together and have the raw edge just on the inside of the cuddle cups. I think it will be easier and wash better being able to retain it's shape for a long time. I will let you know how it comes out ;) .

Here is a picture of my very first cuddle cup . . .
bed.jpg

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Thank you so, so much for the wonderful, very easy-to-follow instructions!

I made one for each of the piggies (four) in one day. It only took about 4 1/2 hours, but would have been even quicker if I had a good sewing machine that didn't jam up all the time.

It's so neat to watch them curl into their soft cuppie and fall instantly asleep. My husband wants me to make him a giant one for the couch!

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Okay, this is not the greatest picture, but I wanted to show what the cuddle cup looks like if you tack the batting to the inside:

P7312219.jpg

The lining does not 'float' it stays down, and the outside fits around, and doesn't look loose.

wierdo4life

Cavy Slave
What type of fabric should I use for the inside?

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Fleece would probably be your best choice. But, I would think that anything soft and washable would work.

I didn't have any extra fleece when I made mine, so I used flannel since I had a plenty of it. It has worked just fine and the babies are so warm and cozy in it.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
I have used fleece, flannel, and even corduroy for the inside of a cuddle cup.

piggiebun

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the instructions, can't wait to make one!

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
I'm in the middle of making my Cuddle Cup, but something has gone wrong. On the first instruction it doesn't say to cut a dip in the strips of batting, inner fabric and outer fabric. So I didn't do it but it's OK 'cause I can just quickly cut it now (I have tacked it all so far). I seem to be the only one who's made this mistake (I didn't look carefully at the picture, obviously) but maybe the instruction could be altered anyway? Well hopefully the rest of my cup-making will be uneventful :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.