Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Question Help anyone---

I got a piggie, I have read all posts I could absorb for about 6 hours now. Learned alot I didn't know- but I have some questions...

I feel perverted because I keep trying to check the sex of my piggie- "her" name is Trixie. I got her for Mother's Day 5/14/06. Before I brought her home My husband and boys built me a cage like in the cage link.

First problem- I cannot find ANY hay. I live in Gun Barrel City Texas- small, small, town. Anyone in this area with information would be appreciated.

Next- this morning I got her out for floor time and I noticed when I picked "her" up she has a swelling around genital area. Any search I have done lists swelling for males, not females. I have tried to gently push to see if there is a penis shaft, or to get a penis to protrude- nothing. Is is possible that I could have possible been doing this wrong I have done it several time and got nothing. Now (he, she) has a swelling all around the "genital area" I would swear they look like testicles. I looked to see about being impacted and I see nothing- ANY IDEAS???

Also I have tried to get into the part that says newbies readhere first and everytime I click on it I get booted right back to my desktop, I have tried probably 10 times to no avail.- any more ideas??

Also is there any hay at a regular feed store that I can use???

Any replies would be appreciated, and I have read ALOT of posts and I got frustrated with the arguing back and forth so I quit reading somewhat.

Also the info about the lethals and roans I found very interesting and informative. Still confused because alot of pics are not very clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    252 Rec'd/160 Posts

Re: Help anyone---

Well first let me say welcome to the forum.

As far as hay goes if you can't find any in your local area you may have to order some offline (that's what I have to do). I personally use http://www.kmshayloft.com She has the best hay and pellets. A second choice for me (KM sometimes runs out) is http://www.oxbow.com.

And for sexing have you read the sexing page on Cavy Spirit? http://cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm Some other members I'm sure other members will be able to give you tips. Do you know about how old you piggie is? My boys are about three months and I can plainly see their testicles (although one has a more apparent pair than the other).

A mod may be able to answer the question on the newbie sticky. I can access it no problem. It has a lot of good information in it too.

And for the arguing I just skim through it most of the time. In any forum you have to learn how to pick out the information that you need from it. That's why searches are so helpful.

Anyway welcome to the forum. It's a great place for information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    347 Rec'd/254 Posts

If you go to your feed store, ask them if they have timothy, orchard grass, meadow grass, or bluegrass hay. You might also want to check with farms or horse stables. Typically, if there are horses, there is hay.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Thanks PiggieMom-
    Yes I read and reread the sexing parts, the swelling I call it just started...I read about the online stores, I was wondering about the feed stores---thanks sooo much

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Oh about her age I am not sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    252 Rec'd/160 Posts

Some people say they can tell by ridge that runs down the middle of their bellies if their boys. If you have or have ever had a male dog you would know what I'm talking about. It's certainly not a 100% certain way though. If you have a digital camera we could give you our opinion, but again not 100% certain. The best way is to get the penis to extrude. I know they don't like it either. My piggies squirm so much when ever I try to mess with their stuff. If there is a rescue by you they might sex them for you. And of course a good exotic vet can do it (but it would be kind of silly to just go in to get you pig sexed.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/90 Posts

That's such a coincidence. I have a Trixie, told he was a girl, bought him with another girl, other girl had 5 babies, Trixie is now known as Trix. Just be glad you're finding out his/her sex before you get a friend, you didn't have to go through everything I did. What helps me is gently seperating the sides in the genital area to see if you see "anything else". I could never get anything to protrude by pushing above the area.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I will keep comparing with the pictures and see, pretty sure about the girl? What else would this swelling be? It's all around the genital area, I'm going to look again- now.
    I have a male Bullmastiff and WOW- he's there. I looked, checked, and felt the poor piggie. Maybe we'll have a Trixter???
    Have a camera- working on it, it's very new-and confusing. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Hi,
    I live in Mesquite now, but used to live at the lake in Malakoff. There is a feed store in Athens, and you could try Walmart and Tractor Supply. Hope that helps. Good luck with your piggy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Whoops....forgot to post feed store info...here goes:
    Athens Feed & Supply Co
    (903) 675-3555
    302 N Prairieville St
    Athens, TX 75751

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Well --GUESS WHAT???? Trixie has turned into Trixter in just a few minutes.
    The swelling I suppose now are testicles, and I got the penis to come out very easily this time- well huh...
    Suprise, suprise--Guess I can change colors in the cage now...

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

GSL1445-Thanks- I know exactly where that store is in Athens. Do you know where I am? What exactly does the Tractor Store have? The Wal -Mart here has NOTHING!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Trixie,
    I know where Gunbarrell is exactly! I'm a Pampered Chef consultant and I do shows there several times a year. My mother in law lives down the road in Trinidad. The Tractor supply has feed sometimes and some pet supplies. I am going there today (to the one here) to see if they have cage clips that I can use on my C&C cage instead of zipties. My little critter likes to nibble them. Next time I come your way maybe we can meet. Keep in touch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    252 Rec'd/160 Posts

I'm glad you found out Trixie is a Trixter. The Wal-mart by me doesn't have anything either. Their pets section is really crappy. A feed store will be a better chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Trixter
    I went to Tractor Supply this evening...they carry guinea pig and rabbit food and hay. I believe the brand was LM brand. I don't know anything about the brand, maybe others can offer info on the brand. They also have hay in bales and they have the small bags of alfalfa and timothy on the guinea pig/rabbit aisle. Hopefully the one in Athens has a nice selection too. When we lived at the lake we were 30 miles from the nearest place to get milk or bread, so I know what you are going through. Gun Barrell is growing though and I bet you could talk to some local stores and request the supplies you need. There is always the internet...and you could come to Dallas or go to Tyler occasionally to shop, we used to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/90 Posts

Trixter was Trixie's first name when we found out he was a boy. Then I shortened it to Trix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Question Re: Help anyone---

Anyone have any reviews on the LM brand of GP foods, hay, etc. just for reference?

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator! VoodooJoint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3,254 Rec'd/801 Posts

Here is a website to help you find quality pellets http://www.guinealynx.info/pellets.html
    Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You can't let the world judge you too much.

Maude from Harold and Maude

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Hi there, I'm originally from Mabank, now living in Tyler.

In Tyler, our Super Wal-Mart and regular Wal-Mart both carry Hay. I don't see why the one in GBC wouldn't. Just check the pet section where they have small pet bedding and food.

User Tag List