Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wheek, Wheek, and more Wheek ?!?!

candypigpig

Cavy Slave
I'm a bit confused. I know that when a pig wheeks it means it is begging, or so I have heard. I feed Sanchez about 1 1/2 cups of veggies 1/4-1/2 cup of pellets daily and constant fresh hay and water. But he begs all the time. is this not enough food. He popcorns all over his new cage, I can tell he loves it. And he plays with my cats (with supervision!!) and seems to enjoy their company. I know I have to get him a little friend...but what is up with this crazy begging thing? Is it really begging or does loud wheeking mean something else? Help!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I know that when a pig wheeks it means it is begging, or so I have heard.
It doesn't always mean begging. It could mean he wants nothing more than attention. Pigs that live alone need companionship from a friend of their own species. We humans cannot talk to our furry friends in their language or play with them like other pigs do. I bet he is wheeking just to get attention much of the time, unless it's dinner time, then he's wheeking for his veggies.

candypigpig

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
I bet he is wheeking just to get attention much of the time, unless it's dinner time, then he's wheeking for his veggies.
<p>
so should I put his food time on a schedule?

JennG

Cavy Slave
I usually feed my girls twice a day (as far as veggies go). They get a helping in the morning and again in the evening. And let me tell you, their little stomachs know when I don't get them their food. If I sleep in, they wheek at anyone who comes down until they get their food.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
When my Tanuki first came home, and was in his quarantine cage, he would wheek ALL the time. He was in the living room, so he could see people a lot, but I'm positive now that it was because he was lonely. Now that he's moved in with Costanza he's much quieter, and only wheeks when he hears and sees the pellet bag.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Having a schedule is the best thing. My piggies always wheek and wake me up in the morning for their breakfast and then when I come home after work. They know when to expect their goodies. They also wheek for their deserts after dinner. When they are on a schedule they know when to expect their goodies and will usually be pretty quiet at other times.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
so should I put his food time on a schedule?
I have no clue how you got this out of what I said. Because this was not what I said. I said he's wheeking at you for several reasons and it's not always begging. He is probably wheeking at you for attention because he is lonely. In other words, get him a buddy so he won't be so lonely.

I don't believe in a schedule for my own pigs, but to each his own. Since I have 5 girls that live together, they all have each other for company and they aren't sitting and constantly wheeking for attention.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.