Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Inside a chicken slaughter house... pictures

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
** Some images contained in these links may be graphic**

Some people feel that chickens are treated ''better'' than cows or other animals when slaughtered. Nothing could be further from the truth. Below are pictures of how a chicken is raised, transported, and finally killed.

(broken link removed) ( Chickens raised for slaughter dead chicken in third picture)

(broken link removed) (chickens being hung by their legs whilst being killed)

(broken link removed) (being transported many die on the way to slaughter due to cramped cage space)

(broken link removed) ( more chickens hung and killed..)

(broken link removed) (overcrowding at warehouses)

(broken link removed) (chickens are killed similar to these turkeys)

The reason why I am posting pictures like these is the fact is many people do not realise what happens. Hopefully now they do.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Turkeys are similar, but more is done by hand. Turkeys vary in size a lot (especially males and females). Also, at least up here, egg laying turkeys are not in battery cages. They are in the wearhouse with boxes they go lay eggs in.

Not much better, but different none the less. Besides, dead is dead, no matter how you look at it. :(

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
It has been a little over a month now since I have eatten any meat. I am having a very hard time trying to stick with it and it seems like the more time that goes on the harder it is becoming.

Looking at those pictures this morning though reminded me of why I made this choice in the first place. I needed that----thanks.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I found when I was in my first few months of going veg, surfing around on the PETA site once and a while helped keep the cravings down.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
I really thought that the more time goes by the easier it is, but I am finding it the opposite. It truly is very hard and I honestly did not notice how much meat I must have been eatting before I gave it up. I feel wonderful about making the change, and I am trying so hard to stick with it.

The pictures bother me to much to look at them all the time. I am a very sensitive person to any kind of animal abuse. I do understand the life these animals are destined for only wind up on someone dinner plate :(

It is not the "meat" I am missing necessarily, but having to throughly think out EVERY meal, having to change meals around, having to think up new foods to make so I do not get tired of the same things all the time. Hubby is now refusing to eat any soy meat and is hating the changes, so that also is making it more difficult.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Weaver, I have the EXACT same issues as you do. My boyfriend can't eat soy, or so he says. But at least he generally eats what I put in front of him. He does still eat meat, but a lot less.

I am also extremely sensitive to the graphic atrocities that animals face. I haven't even looked at the last dozen or so posts of photos and videos. I can't. It breaks my heart. It really does. Yet am I also weak on discipline.

I have a few suggestions. I have two media sources that I do recommend as motivational that serve a couple of different purposes.

One is I subscribe to this very nice yet motivational online newsletter: (broken link removed)

The other is a monthly newspaper that I subscribe to: (broken link removed)

The newspaper, I can choose to scan, read, or ignore. The good thing about the newspaper is, I can leave it laying around for others to read. They might just pick it up and read something that they can identify with and be more motivated. That way you aren't forcing any issue and it's not coming directly from you.

The third suggestion I have is if you are going to backslide or cheat or compromise or work with your family, is to start at the bottom -- of the food chain that is. I find this particularly important with family members and social settings. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me, but this is what works for me. I might have shrimp or prawns or something like that rather than meat. I started out trying to totally cut out all meat, then I cut back more and more on seafood.

I'm not perfect, that's why I put this forum here in the first place. I need help and motivation, too.

I really do recommend those two media sources.

Last edited:

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
oh my gosh, that is SICK! :eek:

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I should add that since I went veg in part due to my IBS I tend to get very ill if I eat meat. It's my tummy's version of a mallet over the head. If I cheated I was bloated and icky for hours.

That helped me stop cheating right quick.

signorina481

Cavy Slave
I have not eaten meat in over a month since this site prompted me to visit the PETA site. After seeing the KFC video I cried so hard my body hurt and I am not one to cry easily. Even the next day while I was driving I would just start crying and had to come home to fix my make-up before class. I feel giving up meat was one of the the best things I have ever done and I rarely have cravings which is weird since I used to LOVE rare steak and now the thought of it makes me sick. Everytime I think of those little innocent chickens with their beaks cut off eating any kind of meat ever again is just not an option.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
I cannot look at them either. My boyfriend banned Animal cops on Animal Planet in our home after he found me sobbing on the sofa. I have been a vegatarian for 10 years and it hurts my heart everytime I hear a story or see a picture. I can't understand cruelty of any kind.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
That is the Kentucky Fried Chicken slaughter house. If you want more details on this dreadful and disgusting place go to www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com.

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
That is sooo awful, it's looking at pictures like these that remind me why I became veggie, even though I have no plans to turn back to meat eating these images just reinforce my opinions, I too can't understand cruelty.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I too cannot look at the pictures of any animal cruelty. I also need the motivation this site gives. I live alone and I don't always like to cook. Work is miserable as there are not any alternatives on midnights. Just the grill.
I am giving it all to not eat meat. I have not been able to go full vegen though. I am able to get fresh organic eggs from a friend who raises the chickens for the eggs. That helps. Milk is a different story. Organic milk is very expensive.
What does help me is, my property runs next to a cow farm. These are longhorn steers. The mommas and the babies I see everyday. They are fed hay and roam free within many acres. There has been times they have gotten loose and have been in my front yard. My surprise one night going to work and here is a HUGE black longhorn steer with his women standing right next to my car. I had to wait until they moved to go to work.
I know the owner. He is an 85 yr old man who loves his cows. They are treated very well. My seeing the calfs and newborn calves shows me, I cannot eat meat. I watch them grow up. If I want to eat meat, I think of those babies and cannot do it.

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
that's awesome, where do you work, I work at a restaurant(server) and they have pretty good alternatives for meat although I am not a vegetarian I think that it is very good that they have so many other choices for the one's who don't. I work the grave shifts too. Also, unlike many people the cooks actually clean the grill and all other equipment used or that will come into contact with the vegetarian meal at hand which is honestly very hard to find these days.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I work midnights at a hospital. There is only the salad bar on nights besides the grill. I try to pack my own lunch and breakfast but If I am running really tired I don't do it. I eat alot of salad but get tired of it at times.

*Magu*

Cavy Slave
What do you guys think about about organic meat though? The conditions must be better, mustn't they?

I don't like meat very much in the first place and have now been "somber" for a bit more than a month. I don't find it hard at all, the only thing is that I am a bit worried because I'm not eating any fish either and it's supposed to be very good for you because of the omega fats etc. What do you do in order to replace it?

For me, the main reason of not eating any meat is because I don't agree with how the animals are kept and treated. It's a disgrace, quite frankly. If everybody knew about those conditions, I bet there'd be so many more vegetarians out there!! But what about organic meat? Would you consider it an alternative?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
You can get your Omega 3s and 6s from most soy meats, soy milk and some eggs (if you aren't vegan). Many things are fortified with it now, just take a look at the labels next time your shop.

If you want a natural source you can add flax seeds and flax seed oils to your diet. Flax seeds must be ground up or they are useless as you can't digest them whole. Add them to cereal, yogurt, toast, sauces, and other dishes.

And of course if you feel in the end you are still not getting enough you can consult your doctor about maybe taking a vitamin for it?

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
What do you guys think about about organic meat though? The conditions must be better, mustn't they?

No, that's just a myth. The labels "organic" and "free-range" and "animal care certified" mean absolutely nothing; they are not terms defined and/or enforced by any regulatory agency. Companies wanting to seem more environmentally conscious and compassionate simply label their products with those terms to boost sales.

Animals from so-called free range farms suffer the same abuse and neglect that animals from "conventional" or factory farms. They suffer mutilations shortly after birth (without pain killers), they're crammed by the thousands into tiny living compartments, most never see the outside, and they are given a gruesome death when they are only a few months old.

There are no "free-range" slaughterhouses. In fact, most "free-range" animals end up at the exact *same* slaughter houses that kill the factory farmed animals.

These labels (animal care certified, free-range, and organic) were actually created by egg and meat lobbying groups. An animal rights group called Compassion Over Killing actually sued the egg industry for misleading the public with the "animal care certified label." The industry, instead of treating hens better, now uses the label, "United Egg Producers Certified: Produced in Compliance with United Egg Producers' Animal Husbandry Guidelines." These guidelines are crap - nothing about the treatment of battery hens has changed.

The *only* advantage to these organice or free-range animals is that the meat is free of arsenic, antibiotics, and hormones. I suppose that's an improvement for human health, but meat still contains no complex carbohydrates and is still laden with saturated fat. The environmental consequences of "free-range" farming are exactly the same as conventional farming.

Free-range = full of crap. If you want to help animals, give up meat all together. Don't fall for this cop-out.

PeruRodent

Cavy Slave
O.O This is scary. I can't take it anymore. I'm becoming a vegetarian.

G_Pig_lover

Cavy Slave
PeruRodent said:
O.O This is scary. I can't take it anymore. I'm becoming a vegetarian.
Me to! Right now no more meat!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.