Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

First week (not cage related)

SpoiledlilPigs

Cavy Slave
So Ive had my new bunny for about a week now. Shes definatly maschievious and loves getting into places she knows shes not suppose to be (under the GP cage is her favorite).

After finding out which corner she picked to go potty in I placed a litterpan in there. Im AMAZED at how she has already almost learned that she should only poop and pee in the cage or litter pan. Shes still young yet and never had a litter pan in her cage befor. It just caught me as a surprise that she actually uses it haha.

Shes usually on lockdown during the day 8 am - 6 pm. And once I get home from work shes had free roam of the bedroom. To my amazement again, ive only come across 2 bunny poos outside of the cage.

While Lola was out of her cage. I noticed that she does kinda the same thing my GP's do when they popcorn and do there headshakes.

Shes finnally starting to get used to me, in that she comes up onto my bed when im laying there and investigates me and lets me pet her. But when I have her on my lap she seems to get restless and nibbles on my hand. Is this normal behavior for a bunny to bite while being held?

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Yes, for some rabbits this is pretty normal behavior. Some rabbits do not like being held and will nip to tell you to put them down. I would continue to handle her though, so she gets used to it.

"popcorn" for a guinea pig is the same thing as a "binky" for a rabbit.

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
How old is she? Once she is 4-6 months old, she is old enough to get spayed. Spaying her will cut down on some unwanted hormonal activity and will help with litter training.

Unspayed female rabbits have an 85% chance of dieing from uterine cancer. www.rabbit.org has a list of rabbit savvy vets by state.

SpoiledlilPigs

Cavy Slave
Shes only alittle over 3 months old now.

What kinda hormonal activitie does it cut down??

She seems to be pretty well litter trained already. Atleast more then i expected out of her.

Ill still get her fixed though because 85% is way to high of a risk.

Solebomber

Cavy Slave
I am all for Nueturing/Spaying the buns but I am very curious as to where the 85% statistic comes from? www.rabbit.org doesn't list a percentage nor a link to a scientific study done to verify such a percentage. I have searched online until my eyes hurt trying to find verifiable research based on a solid study on the subject. please don't misunderstand me as I believe entirely that pet rabbits benefits greatly from Nueter/Spay with behaviour and hormonal issues as well as eliminating unexpected litters. Its just that I have heard these high percentage rates for the does to develop uterine cancer but haven't yet seen anyone verify where these percentages are based, does anyone know where I can find this information?

naturestee

Cavy Slave
Solebomber, check out this article:
(broken link removed)

Not only does it reference scientific articles, but it dispels the myth that rabbits who have been bred have a lower incidence of uterine cancer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.