Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties New Cage for my rats

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Very cool. Don't your rats chew that fleece in the bottom of the cage? I know mine would tear it up.

lilchris_28

Cavy Slave
They nibble at it, but not too much.

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
wow that's pretty small looking, mine's almost 3 times that size for 2 rats and I think mine is still to small. do you let them out alot?

lilchris_28

Cavy Slave
The minimal cage size for three rats is 24x24x24. This cage is 28x28x28. The rat cage calculator says it will comfortably house up to seven rats. I have three in there. Yes, they come out every night for about 30 minutes.

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
almost all housing calculators are for lab cage regulations... I dearly hope your got keeping them for lab rat purposes. I don't even see a wheel...

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
Rats don't need wheels ginger_fish! In fact most rats don't even bother with them as they are too intelligent, I know none of my boys would. They would much prefer running around a rat proofed room than running on a wheel!
Oh and do they look like they are being kept for lab rat purposes.....geez!!
I think it's a great cage lil-chris and very initiative, I bet your ratties love it!

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
Rats don't need wheels ginger_fish! In fact most rats don't even bother with them as they are too intelligent, I know none of my boys would.

My girls use wheels and love them:D , not as much as they love outside thoughlol . The lab rat part was just a joke to stress the fact, incase you couldn't tell...:mischievo It is a good start for a cage but I'm sure they would like more room to "frolic" and play while your not with them.

Last edited:

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
No I couldn't tell it sounded like a mean comment to me. Maybe girl rats are different but my boys would never run on a wheel. All rats would like more room but we have to do the best we can.

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
My girls are the strangest rats I've ever met, they do nothing that makes sense and everything beyond that. Not to sound gross, but male rats seem to have big "equipment" and maybe they could have been getting in the way.
All rats would like more room but we have to do the best we can.
So true, after I finish the new addition to there cage there cage will have double in size twice in the last 8 months and it'll probably double again soon.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
ginger_fish, smilies are NOT punctuation so please stop using them as such. And as far as your little "lab cage" joke, it was neither funny nor appropriate.

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
Lol, yes my boys do have rather large "equipment"!!

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
And as far as your little "lab cage" joke, it was neither funny nor appropriate.

Why is everyone getting so bent out of shape over this? I aplogize, sorry if I cause and grief over this.

Ly&Pigs said:
ginger_fish, smilies are NOT punctuation so please stop using them as such.
Wow talking about being rude, this is a forum for loving and caring for animals that provides criticism free support. this should be enforced, not used as a tool by a moderator...

2pigs4rats, I think that is the leading reason why they don't use the wheel. That would probably be very painful for those boys, I know I wouldn't use the wheel if that happend to me when I did lol .

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Me, rude? No, it's my JOB to enforce the posting rules. If you don't like it, well tough.

this is a forum for loving and caring for animals that provides criticism free support.
Criticism free huh? You came here and just about every post you have made is putting someone's cage down. Telling them it's innappropriate or too small. You have done nothing but criticize other people's rat cages. Talk about a hypocrite.

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
actually I said they were a little to small, not anything else and I did have compliments, if you read the entire threads you would have noticed this. Also I massively loved 2pigs4rats cage and thought it was such a cozy looking place to live.

Half of these forums don't even seem to make sense they days, all most people are doing on here is just prancing around with there prefect spelling, perfect punctuation, and "wide selection of knowledge" pushing everyone else down! :mad: GROW UP!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
ginger_fish said:
Half of these forums don't even seem to make sense they days, all most people are doing on here is just prancing around with there prefect spelling, perfect punctuation, and "wide selection of knowledge" pushing everyone else down! :mad: GROW UP!
This forum has rules. Abide by them or leave.

As far as your "grow up" comment. Grown ups know how to abide by rules. It's "children" and miscreants who have a problem following the rules.

If you talk back to anyone else, especially a moderator, about following the rules again or fail to abide by the rules you will be placed on a minimum of a one week ban.

Last edited:

naturestee

Cavy Slave
Lilchris_28, I think your cage looks awesome! I have a question though. Is there any worry about the rats chewing the zip ties off and escaping? One of my friends has been thinking about getting rats but he's never seen a decent cage for sale. We've talked about the mesh grids, but he was worried that they would chew the zip ties and connectors. Or are they just more interested in toys and such?

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
My girls haven't tried to chew on them yet, but my Callista is a "cool cucumber" as long as she has her chew toys and dried bananas.

babygrl1234 said:
I know a good word for that.

Can anyone else smell it?

Love that moderating. So from what I see only some people have to abide by the rules? Aww, how pretty is that. I make 2 bad comments about people's cages and one post with emoticons that I'm not supposed to use in my posts but they were put on the forum to use in posts and I'm singled out as the bad guy. thanks, but can someone please tell me how this makes sense?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Everyone has to abide by the rules. If you read the rules of the forum, there are regulations about using the smilies and emoticons which you have clearly not followed. As far as being critical about other people's cages that there is absolutely nothing wrong with, you were completely tactless, upset quite a few people, and could have made your points in other ways. I'm still looking for where you claim to have been complimentary about the cages at all, and I DID read the two threads in question completely.

We have the rules we have for a reason. This is an informational forum, not a chat room. Proper spelling, punctuation, and capitalization (at least to the best of your ability) make it many times easier to understand what people are trying to say. We also have quite a few international members, who do not speak English as their first language, so using proper English makes things easier for them all around. Just in case you haven't had a chance to read them, please check out our Policies and Guidelines. I feel certain that you will find them quite illuminating during your week's ban. I'm sorry if you feel that you are being unjustly persecuted and that we are just picking on you, but I assure you that this is certainly not the case. Enjoy your week to cool off. If you should decide to break another rule and join under another name during the next week, both names will be banned permanently, and you will not be allowed to rejoin at all.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Was I moderating? I thought I was asking a question. Maybe I was just motorating since PM is my hero. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.