Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sally is big!

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
I was noticing how big Sally is. Every now and then, people will post pics of their pregnant pigs, and Sally looks just like them. Now, she's been with us for 6 months with vet confirmed females, so I know she isn't, but geez, does anyone else have pigs this large? Here are some pics where you can see how large she is around her belly.

https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/big10steph/Sallylayingundertheramp.jpg
https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/big10steph/Sallyfromabove.jpg
https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/big10steph/SallyEating3.jpg

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
How much does she weigh? She may just be chunky. How old is she?

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
I think it is normal for females to get big. I dont know though..

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
I think she weighs around 2lbs, 10oz. I'll weigh her again tonight though just to make sure. She is definately our biggest girl. I was just wondering if anyone else had non-pregnant piggies that big. As far as her age, we bought her from Petsmart (we know better now), so I'm not sure. Guessing from her nails though, I would guess she is around 2 - Petsmart told us she was six months. Hah! No way.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
I read up on this and many articles said 2 lbs was the ideal weight for an adault female.

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
Tipiman23 said:
I read up on this and many articles said 2 lbs was the ideal weight for an adault female.
S'mores is 2 pounds 6 ounces and she isn't fat. She would be just skin and bones if she weighed just 2 pounds.
I think it all depends on what her genetics are. Maybe Sally is just a big pig....lol

judi15983

Cavy Slave
I don't think that your pig is big, mine are much big, => look my avatar

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
judi15983 said:
I don't think that your pig is big, mine are much big, => look my avatar
I think fat pigs look cute!

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
My female pig Cookie is exactly the same! She constantly looks pregnant, she does weigh 3lb 4oz though!

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
Fuzzie is 4-ish pounds, the last time I checked. I guess it depends on how much you spoil them :D

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
Ok. I really just thought it was odd that she looked like pregnant piggies. I guess since she has put on weight since we got her I was wondering if she would just keep growing. I see other people have much bigger pigs on here, so maybe I was being a little hard on her. Oh, and yes, she and her sisters are very spoiled.

CapuPebbles

Cavy Slave
I was also worried before that Capu was overweight. She also weights 2 pounds and 10 oz. and she won't stop eating all day and everytime she begs I feel bad and i'll give her something.:)

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
Hah. Yesterday, we took the girls outside for the first time. They loved it, especially all the food. But while my other two slowed down after awhile, Sally just kept eating. She ate dandelions, clover, grass, some of her oxbow hay, and some lettuce. She was tired when we got home, but ready to go almost right away. I laughed because everytime I looked over at her yesterday, she was eating. I guess she can move around just fine and is otherwise healthy, so I won't worry too much now.

Mummy

Cavy Slave
If she's gained a lot of weight since you had her, then she probably was the age Petsmart said she was - 6 months. Most pigs have a huge growth spurt between birth and around a year, when it slows down or stops.

There's an enormous weight range in guinea pigs, so it's impossible to say what's right for your pig.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
She may just be a chunky little piggy. If she starts losing hair around the sides of her belly or has hormonal problems, it may indicate ovarian cysts. Most likely not the case, but a possibility.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
That is what I was thinking also fourwabbys.

I also wanted to add that just like with us, a fat pig is not necessarily a healthy pig. Obese in pigs can lead to many other health factors, please weigh pigs weekly and watch the pellet intakes.

Elmanie

Cavy Slave
OH thank god someone had this question. I was just going to post a thread about the same thing. I just got back from the vet after a piggy nail trim, and I weighed my pigs on the scale there. Wicket is 2lbs, and Flitwick is 1.8lbs. I feed them about three handfuls of Spinach a day, and they each seem to eat about half of that. I leave the pellets in the cage, and it takes them a good while to get through them(I refill the bowl about once a week). I stopped giving them carrots after reading that too many can be bad, and they only get them on occasion(like when I remember to buy salad stuff from the store :))

chubby little pig-butts

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
2-4lb is the average for adult pigs in general. A little over or a little under is also normal. Mine all weigh between 2lb 4oz and 2lb 12oz, but my 12 month old sow Jasmine just hit 3lb.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Elmanie said:
I feed them about three handfuls of Spinach a day, and they each seem to eat about half of that. I leave the pellets in the cage, and it takes them a good while to get through them(I refill the bowl about once a week). I stopped giving them carrots after reading that too many can be bad, and they only get them on occasion(like when I remember to buy salad stuff from the store :))

chubby little pig-butts

Just wanted to point out a few things here!

* Spinach is high in calcium so should really be limited. 3 handfuls every day is way too much and I believe is nearly as bad as too many carrots. Worse in terms of the calcium content. You did good by cutting the carrots but you need to cut the spinach too.
Instead of spinach, try lettuces (all but iceberg), chard, corn husks and silks etc. See this thread, post #3 for more info.: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11278

* You do feed unlimited grass hay, right? Meadow, timothy, orchard-grass, bermuda, oat, brome, ryegrass and bluegrass are a few grass hays which come to mind.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.