Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help my piggies smell really bad...

Tommy

Cavy Slave
Haai,

I have two boars who are almost 1 year old. My pigs smells really bad. I have them on fleece... and maybe because the are marking the place they get smellier... But my piggies have a really penetrating fragrance and their gland (fat?? gland) is yellow and it looks like resin. I can't clean it, even not with detergent.

I don't want my piggies to smell like parfum but the are really stinky now....:yuck: How can i make them less stinky?? (when i put them in bad the are smelling nice for 1 / 2 days... I don't want to put them every week in bad)

Please can you help me

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
How large is the cage? A cage which is less than the minimum recommended sizes is one factor to a smelly cage. How often do you sweep/vacuum the poops out? How often do you give the cage a full clean and wash the fleece? What bedding do you have beneath the fleece?

The basic rules are have some kind of absorbant under-bedding (newspaper, puppy trainign pads), spot clean daily (vacuum poops, clean out litter trays, change under-bedding if necessary) and fully clean the cage every 2-4 days. I follow those guidelines and my cage rarely smells.

cavy-cool-crazy said:
How large is the cage? A cage which is less than the minimum recommended sizes is one factor to a smelly cage. How often do you sweep/vacuum the poops out? How often do you give the cage a full clean and wash the fleece? What bedding do you have beneath the fleece?

The basic rules are have some kind of absorbant under-bedding (newspaper, puppy trainign pads), spot clean daily (vacuum poops, clean out litter trays, change under-bedding if necessary) and fully clean the cage every 2-4 days. I follow those guidelines and my cage rarely smells.

Haai,
This are my answers to your questions..

How large is the cage? 1 m by 0,5 m (2 boars)
How often do you sweep/vacuum the poops out? 2/3 times a day
How often do you give the cage a full clean and wash the fleece? new towels and new fleece every 3 days...
What bedding do you have beneath the fleece? 3 towels

x

Gunnedah said:
To clean there grease gland i use eucalyptus oil and use a cotton but to gently rub over the area and thenuse a fine tooth comb to brush it away. You will then need to give the pig a bath and wash the rest of the eucalyptus away.
Eucalyptus oil is not only caustic it is poisonous. It burns when it comes into contact with mucus membranes and can do serious harm to an animal. Using Eucalyptus oil is a seriously wrong thing to do.

VoodooJoint said:
Eucalyptus oil is not only caustic it is poisonous. It burns when it comes into contact with mucus membranes and can do serious harm to an animal. Using Eucalyptus oil is a seriously wrong thing to do.

Is there something else I could use instead of that oil?

I don't quite understand the size of your cage. Is that meters? so it's only 1x.5meters or 5 square feet? That's far too small for 2 boys. 10.5sq ft or double their current size cage is the preferred minimum and definitely no less than about 7.5sq ft. 1meter=3.2feet. I've never had a problem with dirty grease glands or pigs and my cages are 20sq ft or more.

Boys do mark their territory and especially nice clean fleece when you first put them back in their cage or when they smell girls. The smell usually fades within a few hours but if their grease gland is clogged up the pigs themselves might start to smell. The only effective and safe way I've heard from GL is to scrub their backsides with soap such as dawn dish soap or small animal shampoo. Toothbrushes or fingernail brushes work well for brushing or scrubbing small animals that have gotten dirty or sticky somehow.

It is definitely the size of the cage. Try adding on to it.

aqh88 said:
I don't quite understand the size of your cage. Is that meters? so it's only 1x.5meters or 5 square feet? That's far too small for 2 boys. 10.5sq ft or double their current size cage is the preferred minimum and definitely no less than about 7.5sq ft. 1meter=3.2feet. I've never had a problem with dirty grease glands or pigs and my cages are 20sq ft or more.

Boys do mark their territory and especially nice clean fleece when you first put them back in their cage or when they smell girls. The smell usually fades within a few hours but if their grease gland is clogged up the pigs themselves might start to smell. The only effective and safe way I've heard from GL is to scrub their backsides with soap such as dawn dish soap or small animal shampoo. Toothbrushes or fingernail brushes work well for brushing or scrubbing small animals that have gotten dirty or sticky somehow.

Hi,

I mean meter, and 1 meter is 0,0254 inch (I have googled that haha). Yes I have noticed that they like a clean cage, in a few seconds the have already pee.. Hmm I will try to scrub their backsides with toothbrushes, maby it works..! Thanks for your advice!

A meter is 36 inches.

Skip the toothbrush scrubbing. Too harsh.

Well don't scrub hard but it does work to brush with the hair using something stiff like a toothbrush. Google says a meter is 3.2feet or 39inches.

I don't have boars, but I think I have seen some people suggest impaction for odour problems with boars? Maybe someone with more experience can comment on that as a possibility, and how to go about cleaning up the anal sac?

i second that the cage needs to be larger too!

I tried to respond to this post twice and it wouldn't let me but I could respond to other posts. Annoying.

Anyway here's GL's impaction page https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html which could be an issue but if the grease gland is also clogged up with junk it's at least contributing to the smell.

albert said:
When cleaning the grease gland with eucalyptus oil it doesnt harm the animal as long as it is done at bath time.
WRONG

Eucalyptus oil is also caustic on ANY skin or membrane. I guess I should have been clearer. I use eucalyptus oil in my work. It burns when left on the skin and is poisonous.

Is the grease gland and the cleaning of the anal sac the same thing? I clean out my boars sacs every 3 weeks to a month. I use mineral oil, q-tips and cotton balls. Am I missing the grease gland?

suzilovespiggie said:
Is the grease gland and the cleaning of the anal sac the same thing? I clean out my boars sacs every 3 weeks to a month. I use mineral oil, q-tips and cotton balls. Am I missing the grease gland?

Do you clean their sacs?? Why is that?? The grease gland is on the back, it is a circle spot that is a little bit sticky.. I don't know how to explain it in a other way..

Quite awhile back there was a thread about keeping the boars sacs cleaned out. Slap told us all how it was done and that it needed to be done once a month. I have been doing it ever since.
When cleaning it can have a bad smell.

What veggies do you feed them?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.