Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Confused and Heartbroken

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Last night was one of the hardest and most emotional nights of my life. Let me start from the beginning.......

After dinner last night I went into my room to collect the salad plates from all the piggies to put in the dishwasher. When I bent down to pick up Oreo's I quickly realized that something was VERY WRONG. All over his cage was full of blood, even his bed. I yelled for my husband and he came in saw the problem and we hurried to get him off the emergency vets (it was about 7:30pm). We arrived at the hospital at 8:10pm, I am trembling and feeling quite sick myself, hubby fills out all the paperwork and we head back to see what is going on.

I already knew what was going on from all the information I have read on GL and on the forum, either it was a infection, a stone, or he was bleeding internally. Well after the doctor looked at him she wanted to do a abdominal radiograph, and take a urine sample. The tests came back and my poor Oreo has a large bladder stone. :weepy: Devastation hit me all over again, I literally was unable to control myself, not because of the stone itself, but because I knew in my heart that maybe Oreo's time has come.

Surgery at his age is very risky and the chances of him having complications following surgery are even greater. He has a appointment to go to our vet Monday morning. That is tommorrow, I do not know what to do, and my heart aches and I fill with tears if I even look at him. Do I let him go through with the surgery and pray for the best, or do I let him go with pride and remember him with good memories and not of him suffering? I am so torn, emotionally and physically, did not get any sleep, and I feel completely drained.

I honestly need advise, good advise. I know my vet in the morning will suggest that I let him go. He does not like doing surgery on smaller animals and feels that at Oreo's age it is not worth the risks that can follow. ( He did not even want to neuter Oreo, never mind have to cut him wide open and cut his bladder to remove the stone.) I know if I wanted Oreo to go through with the surgery he would value my opinion and do it and do a good job (he is a wonderful man and vet). but honestly, has the time come to let my little friend go? Has anyone had a elderly guinea pig patient pull thorugh surgery successfully?

I also want to mention that I am so thankful to learned about using fleece for a bedding. If I had still been using woodchips I would never have noticed that Oreo even had a problem. He showed no signs (still is'nt), no screaming while going potty, no calcium deposits, no tinge of blood as a warning. Even the blood on his fleece is a brown color with a red spot in the middle. I remember when I used wood chips they also would turn brown when they were wet, therefore more than likely I would have though nothing about it. Thank you for the knowledge so I was able to detect the problem early, even though in my case it may not help Oreo's future.:weepy:

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Oh Weaver I am so sorry you have to go through this. I wish that I could give you some sort of advice. The only thing I can offer is to keep you and your pig in my prayers. You are an excellent piggie mom and whatever decision you make I know it will be for the best.

JennG

Cavy Slave
WEAVER-I'm not sure what to tell you but you'll want to listen to your heart. It was hard when I lost Lola so suddenly but I think this would be worse, kind of knowing that it MAY be his time. I think you're the only person who can make that decision.

Just remember that we're all here to help and support and to listen. You are such a great piggie mom and person. I wish you the best. Take care and just know that whatever your decision will be the best one. Stay strong.

munchkin

Cavy Slave
Weaver- I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, I know how hard it is to make such a decission, i went through it myself not too very long ago. I can't really give you any advice one way or the other, but trust me, when the time comes, somehow you will know what to do. Your heart will tell you what is right for Oreo. And know that we are all here praying for you, supporting you and always willing to listen.

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
WEAVER,I am so sorry that this had to happen to you. I agree with Jenn, just listen to your heart. Say a prayer. I'm not sure what else to tell you. I hope what ever decision you make works out! Best wishes. Have hope! :hug:

Mummy

Cavy Slave
Weaver - I'm so very sorry.

Do you have access to another exotics vet? If your vet says he doesn't like to do surgery on small animals, I'm thinking he's not the best person for the job.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
There is another vet that I do use "for bigger jobs", but his office is not as clean and I would not feel good about him doing Oreo's surgery.

My vet I have had for over 12 years. He tells me things he probably would not tell others, just because we do know one another so well and I visit him often (my dog has many health issues). I know if I did want him to do the surgery he would, and he would do a great job, but he has been very open with discussions like this to me in the past. He honestly is one of the best vets in Northern Alabama and the only one I trust enough to do any kind of surgery on any of my babies.

I do completely understand what you are saying though, and honestly would get another opinion or vet if I felt he was not in the best interest of my animal's well-being, especially over something as major as this.

Mummy

Cavy Slave
Well whatever you decide, I'm sorry you and Oreo have come to this difficult decision.

My heart goes out to you.

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
So Sorry to hear about this, Weaver. From my piggie family to ours we wish you the very best during your times of need. :hug: Just make every moment you have with him as memorable as possible.

Best of luck again when you go to your other vet.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
WEAVER- I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I agree, just listen to your heart, you'll know what's right. We're all here if you need to talk. :grouphug:

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry Weaver. Best of luck. This decision is up to you.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
I think right now my biggest fear is that if I go through with the surgery his quality of life is not going to bewhat it is "today". I do not want to keep him alive for my own personal reasons or because I can not imagine my life without him in it.

On the otherhand I do not want to put him to sleep if he can recover and continue life the way he knows it to be. I am completely torn and feel that no matter what decision I choose at this point I will never know for sure if I made the correct one. I also feel that I do not have a lot of time to make this decision because I know right now he is in pain and I do not want that for him either. :(

valerie k

Cavy Slave
how old is oreo? we as humans also must realize, we understand why we have the pain, unfortunately, an animal does not. You must balance the quality of life he has had, and will have after the surgery. Its a tuff tuff decision, one that we never want to make for our furry friends. If you do decide surgery, then make sure, they send pain meds home with you. Some vets wont. I have always insisted. I have had surgery on my rats before, and always bring home pain control.

Remember, whatever you decide, you will always carry oreos love with you forever, and when he is at the bridge, he will always know what a kind and careing owner you were.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Aw, Weaver I am so sorry to hear about Oreo.

Follow your instinct and you will make the right choice. If you choose to go through with the surgery, you will be the judge of how he's doing afterwards nad if it was worth it. Maybe it'll just buy you some time with Oreo, but maybe it'll help him out.

If you choose not to go the surgery route, the best thing you can do for him is to be there with him to the very end, so he knows that you're there for him.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Oreo is 5 1/2 years old.

mab0615

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry Weaver. You have to make the decision yourself and it's not an easy one. I recently had to do the same thing. By the time the surgery date came, the stone was stuck in his urethra. My vet called 2 hrs after trying to get the stone back in the bladder and asked what I wanted to do. I asked him to continue since he was able to move it a few mm forward. The surgery lasted 3.5 hrs. He came through THAT fine.

He did pass a couple days later but that was because of breathing issues. Being under for that long plus the fact he developed a bowel dehiscence the next day and needed emergency surgery again is what I think caused his passing. I have no idea how old Rodney was, but judging from the thickness of his nails, I'd say 4-5 yrs old.

I personally would do it. The only time I let a pig go from stones was when one of my foster piggies went through 2 stone surgeries within a month and they came back one wk after the second surgery. I spoiled him rotten until the day he could no longer urinate because he was so full of life.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be what's best for Oreo. You know him better than the rest of us.

C&K

Cavy Slave
You and Oreo... Poor things. What an agonizing decision to have to make. I just don't know what to suggest, other then listening to your heart, as has been suggested. If he seems to want to live, and isn't giving up, then perhaps you should not give up on him either. However, I can certainly respect not wanting his last days to be total suffering.

Maybe if you seached GL for bladder stone threads, and read over a few peoples trials and tribulations with them, it would give you some idea of what to decide.

If you need to vent, feel free to PM me.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Thank you cavies and kids, that is really good advise. I will continue to do more research.

valerie k

Cavy Slave
weigh the odds... he potentially could have another 2-3ish years OR MORE in him. He will be in pain for only X amount of time, in which, you can help control that.

I had my heart rat Killer, she was a year and a half old. (rats typically live 2-3 years) she had a huge mamory tumor... I so wavered... rats, its very difficult to do surgerys on... but, in the end... I knew, it wasnt over... she had LIFE in her. I had the surgery done. I had my baby girl, another year. It was the best thing I could do for both of us. I carefully monitered her, she was in minimal amount of pain.

you must follow your heart on this. You know, inside, you know the answer. And that is the correct answer.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I will keep both you and Oreo in my prayers. Know that whatever you decide it is the right decision. You heart can't lead you wrong. Whatever you decide, never beat yourself over "what-ifs". You're doing what you feel is best for Oreo, and there is nothing more you could possibly do.

Stay strong. And we're all here for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.