Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Confused and Heartbroken

C&K

Cavy Slave
Oh I can think of at least a dozen other people that have the "nerve"!:p

Just try to have as good a spring break as you can with the kids and Oreo!

Keep us posted on him!
:hug:

Herbie Girl

Cavy Slave
Weaver, I'm so sorry for what you are going through... Oreo is in my prayers.

Becky

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
There are plenty of people with the nerve although you are one in million Weaver.

Lacy&Buttercup

Cavy Slave
Weaver, I have just read this thread. I truly understand you needing these few days with Oreo. I think you are making all the right decisions. Know in your heart that you are doing what's best and are doing it out of love. You and Oreo are in my thoughts and prayers.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I know this all had to be one of the hardest decisions you've ever had to make, but it sounds like you're doing what is best for you and Oreo. You'll be staying in my thoughts and prayers, and Percy and Caramel are keeping all of their little fingers and toes crossed for you. If you need anything, or just want someone to vent at, feel free to PM me at anytime.

MissDaisy

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you are having to go through this! I really hope it turns out for the best. Hang in there!

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Oreo has had a very rough time today. I have been on the phone with my vet's on and off throughout the day. We are beginning to wonder if Oreo is giving up or if he may have something else going on with him besides the stone. He has stopped eatting completely and I have been having to FORCE feed him (which is awful and I know it has to be done, but it is still terrable). It has taken two people to even get anything down him and he is just not looking or acting like himself. He is still urinating, and drinking by himself, but that is all. He has lost some weight and is all "puffed up" looking (meaning his hair is sticking up somewhat making him look bigger than he really is).

My vet said he needs to be eatting on his own before we even consider thinking about surgery. He said he needs his strength and Oreo has to want this too. I am beginning to think Oreo's time has come, and unfortunetely I think I may have to "help him" find his way over the rainbow bridge. I can not and won't keep him alive for my own reasons and simply because I love him. I am crying here while telling all of you this, it is just so hard, all of this is so hard. He is beginning to lose "his" personality and as I sat there feeding him this afternoon, I felt like I was looking at a stranger, his eyes were different, his hair felt different, everything about him just felt different. I wish with all my heart that God would just come and take my little boy.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Oh Weaver I can't say enough how sorry I am you have to go through this.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I was lucky (if you want to say it like that) when Lola went so quickly. I don't know if I could be as strong as you are with Oreo. Please know that you both are in my prayers. Stay strong.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Maia did the same thing before she died. She eventually got so weal that she died after fighting the syringe. It is so hard.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry weaver. He will let you know what's right. Stay strong, we're all here to help you get through this. You're both in my prayers.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I, too, am so sorry Weaver. We're all here praying for both of you. No matter what happens, you did it all. Your a great mommy. Stay strong, and remember it's okay to cry. Lots of hugs.

Mummy

Cavy Slave
Oh Weaver - what a tough thing to go through.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

WendyK

Cavy Slave
Weaver - In this kind of situation - your heart screams one thing but your head screams another - know that all the feelings you are experiencing are because you care so much and have so much love - let your heart speak the loudest.

Giplet

Cavy Slave
Oh Weaver, I can't believe this is happening to you. But don't for one minute think that keeping him alive is selfish because it is not, it is all for him and you are just giving him every chance. Keep trying to feed him, offer him his favourite veggies and see if he makes an attempt to eat them.

You say he is not like himself, like he is a stranger, but doesn't everyone change when they are ill? He is ill, he needs you to try your hardest to give him any chance of life. He is not giving up, it is just the illness taking over. Maybe you won't have to make a hard decsion and God will make it for you, like he did with Nala. When I took Nala in they said she was not strong enough for surgery so they were going to put some fluids into her and if in a couple of hours she was stronger, they would attempt the surgery. Nala died by herself though about an hour later, so she or God made the decsion for us.

Can't you move the surgery forward to now, have an emergency operation before it is too late?

What is your heart saying? If it is saying the opposite to all of what I am saying that is fine, go with it, I just think it is valuablke to get everyone's opinion. GO WITH YOUR HEART! You love him too much to make the decsion with anything else.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
I took Oreo off of all of his medicine late last night and he is appearing to be a little more like himself. Medicine does strange things to me, and I know it can have the same effect on animals too.

Late last night I layed in bed looking at the cage, and just thought, thought real hard. I am a firm believer in all things happen for a reason, and I think Oreo got sick yesterday for a reason. Anyways it made me see for a brief moment that maybe I need to reconsider my thinking. I know that many can forcefully hand feed for long periods of time and have the strength within the themselves to feel that they are doing what is in the best interest of their animal. For myself, I view this a bit differently. I can not imagine him looking at me the way he did yesterday for weeks on end, freaking out everytime I put my hand into his cage, and dreading the times I have to nurse him back to health. I want to know and rememebr the Oreo "I know" and have totally adored for the past five years, the one who loves me, enjoys our times together, and eagerly wants me to pet the top of his head.

Today he somewhat is "his old self" I spent a lot of time with him this morning. I know he is in pain without his medicine, I can see it in his eyes. We talked together for a while and I know in my heart now I have made the right decision to let my little boy go. It is not right for me to change who he is, and I know he does not want that either. He has lived a good life, one that many pigs would love to have and even though he may have "life left in him" I am not sure and can not be guarenteed that the life he lives after the surgery will be the life he knew before he became ill. This hurts so much, but I know it is time and the best thing for Oreo. I have to let him go, and let him do it with pride.

SandyF

Cavy Slave
Weaver,
My thoughts are with you...I was crying as I read this, it so reminded me of what we went through with our sweet old man Winston. The vet had just taught me how to do subques at home, but something about Win was different. It was as though he was saying, "If I have to go through this every day of my life, I don't want to live." The next morning after his first subque, he had clearly given up and his eyes said "I'm ready." We helped him over the bridge, and though I never thought I could ever make that kind of decision, there was a kind of peace afterwards and I knew it was the right thing to do.

God be with you, and know that Oreo carries with him the love and happiness of so many good years with you.

C&K

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry Weaver, I'll be keeping you, your family, and Oreo in my thoughts today.

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
Oh Poor little Oreo. (and You)

Oreo might be feeling the pain from the stone, but *your* heart is breaking in this great turmoil. I truly feel so badly for you.

I am certain that you will do what is best.

Hugs to you, and kisses to our little Oreo.

vlb_21
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.