Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay in rack vs floor?

muffin

Cavy Slave
Does anyone else find that their pigs eat less hay when it is in the rack? Mine weren't keen on the rack and prefer to play in their hay, but they pee where they're sitting and the hay gets all gross. Is it just my imagination or has anyone else found that their pigs ate less when it was in the rack? Mine have won by the way, their big sad eyes broke me after about 3 days and they now have a fresh pile every day, with top ups when they've decided they've eaten all the good bits!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Mine eat it no matter what.

bbqbarbiedolls

Cavy Slave
I find that mine will eat more of it from the hay rack because it's not all gross and peed and pooped on like it would be on the floor. However, they always popcorn when I put it in a heap on the floor so sometimes I give in and just give them a giant pile to play in.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Mine hate to have their hay contained. Even if I setup several hayracks they all fight over it and eventually someone finds some way to fit into the hayrack. They eat much more hay when I leave it in a pile or 2 on the bottom of the cage so long as the hay is kept fresh. If you feed lots of extra hay or a large amount only once or twice a day you need to remove the old hay daily to every other day. If you feed them in smaller amounts several times a day it's not so much of a worry and they generally eat it all before they get around to peeing on it.

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
Well I guess I cheat. I have a small pile on the floor in a folded coroplast holder upstairs and I have the tidy hay rack downstairs. They go back and forth between the two I would say they mostly eat out of the hay rack for me, but they do enjoy having options.

bromers

Cavy Slave
I just dump the hay in the rack. I notice he doesn't eat as much if it is on the floor.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I have tried both ways and prefer the hay rack. Alot of their hay ends up on the floor. What a waste since they wait until I replenish their hay rack with fresh hay. So much waste its a shame.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
My pigs' hay starts out in the rack, but ends up on the floor. I think they like the "game" of pulling the hay down.

CuTe*LIL*CaVy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Mine hate the hay racks, so I just put their hay in two different litter boxes, which don't get used otherwise anyways. Sometimes when they use up all the good bits, I take the leftovers and use them to pad out the potty that DOES get used.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I've tried both ways and they definately eat less when in the rack. Just don't give excessive amounts - that way it won't get all wet and stinky. Mine prefer it on the floor (on the upper deck) because they can sleep and play in it.

Giplet

Cavy Slave
Misty loves it in a hay rack so she can tug at it to get it out, it keeps her mind working. But I occasionally will just put a large mound of it on the floor because she loves to tunnel into it and eat her self out.

I have a picture of Misty eating her way out of hay on my phone, but I can't get that on my computer, but I have this one of Nala snuggling up inside a mound of hay.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I used to give it to my pigs in a bowl, but they would just pull it out and sleep in it, or rest and munch their way out, Now i put some in a hayrack with i have to refill twice a day, and during floor time they get a huge mound which i put in a shoebox lid (my attempt at keeping it neat), and they love it, but i do prefer the hayracks as it keeps it clean and fresher (not that it ever lasts long, they just love their hay)

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I tried putting it in a large plastic tub a couple of times. The next morning it would be completely tipped over with the hay everywhere. What worked quite nice was using an old tissue box (see my gallery). That was fine until they munched all of the box!!

Cute picture!

muffin

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone, I'm going to build them a hayloft.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.