Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

ringworm or not???

mabelline7

Cavy Slave
I have two piggies, or I should say my kids have two piggies. One has a balding spot on his back in the middle of a calic, it seems to be getting larger, although it is not red, he does not scratch it, it just simply is flesh colored but scaly. the other piggie does not have any spots at all. We feed them veggies, some fruit and they get vitamins in their water.... we clean the cage frequently... any suggestions as to what this is???:confused:

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
They need to see an exotics vet as soon as you can. Make an appointment asap.

Also, nix the vitamins in the water, those are really bad for the pigs.

Giplet

Cavy Slave
Yep, I agree with Slap, to the vets asap and scrap the vitamins in the water.

mabelline7

Cavy Slave
No, it's not in an area that he can scratch, and I never see him scratching at all. I will call my vet and see if she treats piggies and take him in. I feed him greens, apples, strawberries, pears and broccoli and timothy hay. If it were ringworm or scurvy, wouldn't the other piggie have problems too? He seems fine. Am I supposed to give them any kind of vitamin supplement now that you tell me the I should nix the water supplement of C??? Also, where can I buy a bigger cage for my friends? I have the biggest the pet stores sell, which is prob 30 or so inches long for the 2 of them. thanks for all your advise :)

mabelline7

Cavy Slave
PS, I just read the links you emailed about the vitamins....thank you!!

Giplet

Cavy Slave
You absolutely definetly need to build a cubes and coroplast cage, it's what this forum is all about! They are really easy to build if you can get a hold of the materials and it is fun to build them as well.

If you can't get a hold of any materials, you could just purchase one from this site. Just click on 'store' at the top of the page.

mabelline7

Cavy Slave
I took the piggies to the vets, and was told they both have lice and one has poss ringworm, they sent out cultures. So $150 later, I have to bring them back 2 more times for injections to kill the lice and wait to see what the culture grows and find out if an oral antibiotic is needed.. ewwwwwwwwwwww.. luckly, the lice do not spread to humans or other animals, but the ringworm is highly contageous and can spread back and forth between themselves and us and our other animals, which is a pain and not a fun thing to have to worry about. They think I prob brought the animals home from Petco with these diseases back in October. Who would think you had to take an animal that cost $15 to the vet when they look healthy. Needless to say I am bummed...but I have to get them better even if it costs alot :sad:

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Aren't you glad that you took them in though, and that they're going to get better?

This is why it's better to adopt, pet store animals tend to come with illnesses.

Did you find your cubes and coroplast yet?

mabelline7

Cavy Slave
nonamian_girl said:
Aren't you glad that you took them in though, and that they're going to get better?

This is why it's better to adopt, pet store animals tend to come with illnesses.

Did you find your cubes and coroplast yet?

mabelline7

Cavy Slave
yes, I ordered a 2x3.5 cage from Sue, I had the top made at Lowes already. I cant wait to get it!! I read that you can attach a bird/ferret feeder to the side of the cage for their food. The cage I have now, has a platform which they climb up to get their food, and they dont poop in it. I bought the quick lock crock food bowl and am wondering if I can use it with the colorplast cage.... you're right, I should have adopted!! I wish I found this website beforehand

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You shouldn't have any problems attaching that food bowl to the grids of the cage since the grids are made of wires, it should attach right on.

mabelline7

Cavy Slave
Love my new cage from C&C!! have to figure out how to make a ramp and shelf, so they can reach their food bowls! I bought the birdfeeder one that attaches to the cage, but you have to put it up too high without having a shelf. Have to figure out the best way to clean the cage now, I guess newpaper underneath the pine and litter.....

C&K

Cavy Slave
I sometimes use newspaper, but it is natorious for trapping wetness and actually can cause odour issues. Right now I am using fleece and have been since October, but I think I am going to try a 1/2 and 1/2 combination with fleece on one side, and either yesterdays news or stove pellets on the other. Shavings stick to the fleece, so they don't go well together. Carefresh is just out of my budget.

I usually switch my blankets 2-3 times a week, however once a week I also take out the coroplast, bring it up to the bathtub (Outside if it was warmer) and spray it off. Then I take some fine steel wool to scrub off any crud, does a really nice job.

As for the vet, I bet you are a little bummed over the cost! However, have you considered treating the lice at home with either Advantage or topical Ivermectin? I am sure you can do it at a fraction of the cost. If you go with the Advantage, they probably only need one treatment, Ivermectin would be a few more 7-10 days apart. The benifit with Ivermectin however is it also treats for Mites, which is sounds like your pig may have too. On the other hand, Advantage is usually more successful at treating lice then Ivermectin ever is.

When do you find out about the ringworm?

mabelline7

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the great info!! you're a wealth of knowledge. The vet did give me Conofite Lotion to apply to the affected area on the pig every day, and when I go back this Fri for the 2nd set of shots, I will certainly ask about the advantage. Would this be a monthly thing you would put on like you do dogs and cats? or a one time deal because of the lice/mites/ringworm?? I did not get the results back on the scrapping, she said it could take up to 2 weeks.. Do you get a roll of fleece from the craft store to use in the cage? why fleece? to keep them warm?? you're right the carefresh is expensive, and the cage is so big, you would go through a bag of it in no time!! what are stove pellets??? I did not know you could use stell wool pads to get the crud off the colorplast, another great idea!! thanks!! any tips on how to build a ramp and shelf to get to their food bowl?? The one I made they keep knocking off. thanks again :D

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
All of the questions you asked above have been answered many times in earlier threads. Instead of waiting for answers, you can type keywords like fleece, ramp, bedding, etc in the search box in the upper right corner and find what you're looking for. You might also want to look through the cage and bedding sections of the forum.

C&K

Cavy Slave
and when I go back this Fri for the 2nd set of shots, I will certainly ask about the advantage. Would this be a monthly thing you would put on like you do dogs and cats? or a one time deal because of the lice/mites/ringworm??

It really depends, Advantage really only treats lice and fleas. It does nothing for ringworm or mites. However, for fleas and lice, nothing beats it. Most pigs are not repeatedly exposed to these nasty critters, so dosing every month is not really required.

Look up Advantage on GL both in the medical guide and the Medical Referance forum.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2488
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28030

https://www.guinealynx.info/
https://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasitics.html

Another treatment that is available, is Revolution (Selamectin). It requires a perscription, the drug company that makes it has guidelines for Cavies, however some people feel that it does not have the safety record of Ivermectin and are made nervous by it. Like Advantage, it is a topical treatment, however it is effective with mites, lice and fleas. I would search GL forum for more information to make up your mind about it.

Honestly, I am very confused as to why your pig is being injected at all. Ivermectin is used to treat lice, but it should be given topically for this purpose, injections are not going to help. I can't think of a single drug that kills like that is actually injected. Personally, if your vet is doing this, I would call him before the next apointment and find out WHAT he is using for sure, and ask around about it. Don't just trust he knows what he is doing. Again, you could treat at home for this with either Ivermectin or Advantage, which are available both over the counter. It could save you a lot of money, and grief for your pigs.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Do you get a roll of fleece from the craft store to use in the cage? why fleece? to keep them warm??

Some people get sewing fleece, others blankets. I got 4 cheap blankets at the discount store in my neighbourhood. It cost me $12.00 Under the fleece I put a layer of flannel sheets I have pulled out of service. However, as I mentioned before, I am planning a change up. You can search the Bedding and Hay forum for more information about this.

Stove pellets are used in a type of household furnace that burns well, wood pellets. They are made most of the time out of compressed sawdust. Walmart sometimes sells them seasonally, or you can check your yellow pages. I am having a hard time locating them, so I am considering Yeterdays News. (A recycled paper pellet). With wood pellets you need to make sure they are plain wood, no chemicals have been added. Again, more info in bedding.

There is also a forum to help with cage building and another one with accessories. Check it out.

https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14240# Cavy Cages Forum

Under Cages:

Cage Chat (1 Viewing)
Cage-related ideas, questions, suggestions, photos

(broken link removed)
Cage safety-related discussions, questions, ideas

Under Environment:

Bedding and Hay (1 Viewing)
Very important to your cavy!
https://guineapigcages.com/forum/index.php
(broken link removed) (1 Viewing)
Cozies, water bottles, dishes, hay racks, toys, tunnels . . .

I think some new members don't know these forums exist on the site, they just see the discussions Forum. I know I took awhile to clue in...

mabelline7

Cavy Slave
thank you!! I will search some....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.