Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I just lost one of my pigs and need advice

SoftTouch

Cavy Slave
I've Been Approved for Jacoby! (I'm changing his name to Jacob though... he'll be our "Patriarch Piggy" :D) We just have to go and have a formal introduction to see how Jacob and Jazzy get along. I'm so excited!

I miss my Spazzy girl alot, but I'm feeling better because now I have a chance to give Jacob a new life and a new wife (we'll have to have our pastors son come over and do the nuptuals :D) I really pray these two take to eachother immediately!

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your new pig! He looks adorable! I'm curious, what rescue are you adopting from? The only one I know of around here that neuters all their pigs is MEtropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue.

SoftTouch

Cavy Slave
Thanks! :)

The url is: (broken link removed)

Here's the Blurb from the home page:

mdguineapigs.org is a website dedicated to promoting the adoption of guinea pigs in Maryland, Northern Virginia, and South-Central Pennsylvania. We publicize animals available at area shelters, rescues, and foster homes.

The rescue I'm going through is Small Angels Rescue which is in Mt. Airey (a good drive away, but well worth it I think!). Sue's been great at keeping in contact through emails! I'm really looking forward to the 'introductions' :)

Hope this info helps!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Congrats!!! That is such great news.

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
It looks like a very nice rescue, I'm surprised I've never heard of it! It's heard of Small Angels, though.

SoftTouch

Cavy Slave
Why are my posts disappearing??? One disappeared from the "I just want to cry" thread, and now my pigture post here is gone? Strange!

SoftTouch

Cavy Slave
Let's try this again LOL... Here is a pigture of my Girls, Jazzy and Spazzy (who I lost last week). Jazzy is the Dark girl that you can see clearly, Spazz is hiding behind the pigloo... she was mostly white with brown patches and a splash of black. She was a beauty!

(broken link removed)

SoftTouch

Cavy Slave
Introduction went amazing well! Jazzy just Swooned over the young stud (Jacob)! And Jacob was every bit as enamored with her :) Of course with Jazz not being fixed and Jacob only being neutered in mid Januay, He did what all red blooded male piggies do... the chase was on! We had to keep him from actually mounting her though because he could still be 'potent' until March 13.They're now getting to know eachother in their 'forever cage' here at home (divided by 2 grids of course ;D) I made a great play pen area (even bigger then the 2X4 C&C cage) but I think they've had enough excitment for one day ;)
How do you know when a femal is In Season? And How Long are they fertile when they do? The rescue lady told me females go into 'heat" every 14 days, but I don't know how to tell when that is. I want to be very careful they don't 'connect' during that time ;)

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
You should just wait until March, just to be on the safe side, because it only takes a second and you may not even notice when it happens.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Like nonamian_girl said, do not take the chance. It only takes a moment and you have no real way to be certain whether or not your female is in heat. Allow them just the divided interaction until the safe introduction date.

SoftTouch

Cavy Slave
nonamian_girl said:
You should just wait until March, just to be on the safe side, because it only takes a second and you may not even notice when it happens.

Oh No... When we did the Introduction, he did mount her... IF she got pregnant, how will I know? How long is their gestation period???

wvbeetlebug

Cavy Slave
No advice, just wanted to say that I am sorry for your loss. :(

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
I believe it's about two months. When was your boar neutered?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Gestation is about 72 days. The last and most definite sign of pregnancy is if after about 2 and a half months babies come flying out of her rear.

Although I'm confused. You said that Jacob was neutered in January? Is that right? If so then it has been at least over 2 weeks since the neuter. All sperm should be dead by now. Double check when he was neutered and if March 13 really is the date you were given. If that is all correct you may want to ask why they are having you wait so long.

SoftTouch

Cavy Slave
According to the paperwork Jacob was Neutered on 1/30/06 and it says he should be safe by March 13th. Maybe they're just being extra cautious?

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Extra caution never hurts. I've read on other threads that you should wait a month for the sperm to fully die though?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.