Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Baby!

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
I adopted Aiden last Friday, he is definately young by his size and the state of growth his nails are in. He has been mostly skittish and not very responsive to treats, I assume he doesn't really know what those are. He does put his butt up against the side of his large 3x3 coroplast cage to go to the bathroom, which I assume is from living in such a small cage most of his life. My husband and I have bought him a wood hut and last night I finished a fleece Cavy Cave which he doesn't ever seem to leave except to eat, haha. I love him I just hope his scratching of himself reduces quickly, it worries me. He is a beautiful satin red, but not pure red. We are looking forward to adopting another cavy from the animal shelter when they get more in.

Kriket

Cavy Slave
Could he maybe be scratching because of Mites? Can't wait to see pigtures!!

pennick

Cavy Slave
Harleigh said:
I just hope his scratching of himself reduces quickly, it worries me.

If it worries you, you should be at the vet. Sounds like lice or mites.

laura220

Cavy Slave
Ooh! New baby, I wanna see! Is he eating hay?

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if it is mites or not. He may just be scratching because he is on a new bedding type, and it is not bad scratching. He may just be scratching to scratch. We are trying to get the web cam camera working so I can get some pics. I will try to have some posted by the end of the night.

PS He is only coming out of his little cavy cave to eat, I'm not sure if that is a good sign or a bad one. Seems like he likes it though.

WritingLife

Cavy Slave
If he likes his fleecy cave, that could be good, because he may be comforting himself with the soft fleece. He may be nervous for quite a while and will need lots of patience, care, veggies, and such until he gets used to his new home and to you.

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
Yesterday I watched him pull long pieces of hay from the little shower rack we are using for a hay rack and eat them like a little kid would spaghetti. It was adorable. He liked the apple I gave him but he hasn't really gone for the carrot or the lettuce. I will be trying some tomato later or tomorrow. Still working on the pictures.

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
I posted some pictures of my cage, I got a new digital camera. I will try and coax Aiden out of his cage later and have my husband get some of the two of us!

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
Hear are the pictures of my little man, Aiden!

Sweet Pea

Cavy Slave
Good luck with Aiden!!! Piggies are wicked creaters!!!!You'll love them.

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
We got a new baby yesterday! He is white, has a donald trump hair thing over his eyes and two swirls over his butt. He is more enthusiastic than Aiden, I think he'll end up being the more dominant one. My husband hasn't named him yet, waiting anxiously to introduce them. He has been in quarantine for 3 weeks already so I'm just waiting to let them adjust to each other.

bromers

Cavy Slave
Pics please, Also I really want to see the old ones they have gone all funny. Lets hope it all goes well.

Giplet

Cavy Slave
Yeah, pics pics pics!

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
I was disappointed to see the others went wonky. More soon please!!

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
Here are pictures of the boys meeting today. My husband named the new baby Chewie after Chewbacca because of the way his hair sticks up. In my husbands words, "He is the great white Wookie." I thought it was funny and I told him he could name it so I'm not complaining. (At least it isn't MEGABEAST!! HaHa JK).

(broken link removed)

I hope this link works.

They are scheming now. They have tented both the pieces of newspaper at one end of the play pen and are taking turns running between the two. I think these two boys are going to quickly become a handful. Looks like we will be finishing the ramp and connecting the two parts of the cage tonight.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Very cute. I have a question: is he a PEW (pink eyed white)? Or do you know? Just curious.

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
Here are pictures of the cage updates so far.

(broken link removed)

The pictures go from only one cavie to one on the bottom and one on the top. The ramp is going to go down on the far right of the cage. It has a one grid support under the 2nd level. The ramp is going to be made of a 2x4 covered in a drop cloth with a towel slip cover that I need to finish sewing tonight. We are hooking it to the top level by heavy duty screw hooks that you would use to hang heavy pictures. We will see how well it works out tonight.

Giplet

Cavy Slave
Aaw, they look they have been the best of buddies for years.

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
If somebody could identify their breed I would be appreciative but being adoptees they didn't come with an instruction book, haha. He does have pink eyes but he also has a dark nose and dark ears, so I'm thinking he might be part Himalayan but I really don't know.

Aiden is also a mystery. He seems to have light colored dappling through his red hair.

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
I finally got my avatar and I updated my cage pictures. We also finished the ramp which is awesome, getting the guys to go up it was easy, getting them to come down is a whole nother challenge.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.